• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW Concerns

Im about 2-3 weeks away from getting my LTC-A - and having not carried concealed before, I was already kind of paranoid about printing issues. I think Im going to head to the mall again (sans umbrella, obviously) maybe get some longer t shirts and maybe summer weight button downs to be more cautious. Being "fluffy," I may have more of a concealment challenge than I thought.

Last edited:
i never noticed any signs at the Burlington Mall.

if you know what gun you are getting to CC, order a good holster for it now

Negative I am also "fluffy" and I find it a advantage over the skinny people. I just make sure my t-shirts are longer than some of the newer style short shirts, as I like to call them. There is also pocket carry you could look into (keltec, LCP, LC9, snub revolvers) that is what I am going to go with when wearing jersey-type shorts. But I will be wearing my IWB holster this summer mostly due to the fact that I am not a everyday shorts type of guy.

Believe it or not, unless it's obviously out in the open or your shirt rides up over the handle then the sheep won't see it. Oh make sure to stick to darker colors too, this also seems to hide it better (maybe that's just me though).

So that Im clear, I wasnt asking about carrying at the mall....that and frankly, I hate going to the mall and my wife likens taking me there to that scene in the omen when Damien flipped out about being near a church.

As to CCW - Im going to take a trip to 4 seasons this weekend and shop out some more holsters, get some more options.

i never noticed any signs at the Burlington Mall.

if you know what gun you are getting to CC, order a good holster for it now

Not sure why your thread title has Burlington Mall in it if you aren't asking about it. Maybe you should change your thread title as it is misleading.

As far as checking Four Seasons for holsters, I wouldn't. They don't have a good selection and probably won't. Carl explained to me that with holsters you can just buy online for cheaper and he doesn't want to stock the store with stuff like that where people will come in, try and buy online.

Don't ever buy one of those crappy nylon holsters that isn't fitted to the gun.

So that Im clear, I wasnt asking about carrying at the mall....that and frankly, I hate going to the mall and my wife likens taking me there to that scene in the omen when Damien flipped out about being near a church.

As to CCW - Im going to take a trip to 4 seasons this weekend and shop out some more holsters, get some more options.

Don't forget about the Crossbreed AND Comp-Tac Minotaur holster. Essentially there the same concept just constructed different. I use the Comp-Tac and it's super comfortable and keeps everything tight and close to my side.

As much as I like Four Seasons, gun shops simply aren't a good place to buy a holster. Most gun shops carry a limited line of crappy holsters.

Shop online for a good, custom holster. There are many good holster makers including:

- Kramer Leather
- Milt Sparks
- Raven Concealment

The best have waiting lists, but they are worth the wait.

Thanks

The gun I have came with a comp-tac CTAC holster - I just have to get used to it and in the meantime, Im going to see what else is out there, including those you mentioned.

As much as I like Four Seasons, gun shops simply aren't a good place to buy a holster. Most gun shops carry a limited line of crappy holsters.

Shop online for a good, custom holster. There are many good holster makers including:

- Kramer Leather
- Milt Sparks
- Raven Concealment

The best have waiting lists, but they are worth the wait.

Can't edit the title, just tried.

My bad.

[STRIKE]edit the post then click the "go advanced" button and you should be able to edit the title. [cheers][/STRIKE]

looks like you got it. [smile]

if you want to check out a lot of holsters check out first defense in uxbridge. the owners of the store are awesome people and they have a whole wall dedicated to holsters.

M1911 pointed me toward Kramer. I now own a Kramer holster for each of my CCW pieces. They're not cheap and they take a long time but man what nice holsters!

Not sure what you mean by "fluffy" but I'm a fat load and I'm confident that I'm not printing when using a Kramer.

I just started carrying about 6 months ago. It took a few months to get over my printing paranoia. Once you've done it for a while you'll realize that it's not a big deal, and that no one notices.

The gun I have came with a comp-tac CTAC holster - I just have to get used to it and in the meantime, Im going to see what else is out there, including those you mentioned.

I doubt that you'll find anything better than a Comp-Tac at most gun stores. In fact, I doubt you'll find anything as good as a Comp-Tac at most gun stores. Going there shopping for holsters would be a waste of time.

I haven't tried the Comp-Tac CTAC holster. I do have several of their OWB holsters, and I find that they don't hold the gun very close to the body -- my Raven Concealment Phantom works better.

For an IWB holster, I really like the Kramer #3. I used it for my fullsize 1911: http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=6&categoryID=23

I just started carrying about 6 months ago. It took a few months to get over my printing paranoia. Once you've done it for a while you'll realize that it's not a big deal, and that no one notices.

a friend of mine just said the same thing and that apparently, this is common - "everyone thinks they're going to get bagged for disturbing the peace" he said.

As with picking out the appropriate gun, try on as many different holsters as you can - every one has different fit/finish and will contour to your body differently.

Some holsters will work well for one gun but not another even though it's the same design...

Good luck

I use a comp-tac CTAC holster and love it.

Raven makes good OWB holsters but there is a very long wait.

Also consider thunderwear (Smartcarry) cause there will be times where the only place to put a gun is near your junk.
5.11 holster shirt works well but is itchy so get 1 size up and wear an undershirt beneath it.

Thanks.

Im going to start with that CTAC, adjust it a few ways and go from there.

If I really can't conceal it (its a Sig 229), Im just going to carry m Jframe in a pocket holster - which really does break up the frame - looks like I just have a cell phone, if that.

I use a comp-tac CTAC holster and love it.

Raven makes good OWB holsters but there is a very long wait.

Also consider thunderwear (Smartcarry) cause there will be times where the only place to put a gun is near your junk.
5.11 holster shirt works well but is itchy so get 1 size up and wear an undershirt beneath it.

Most sheepies haven't even seen a gun up close....I wouldn't worry about them noticing it while concealed...printing isn't going to be an issue as long as you're not wearing spandex, they'll think it's the new 9000th generation I-touchyourselfpad3000 with built in lo-fi and hdfdyd10000mhz screen resolution....

Thanks

Wait a minute... how did you buy a gun that came with a holster, and don't have an LTC yet?

Back
Top Bottom