• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Agganis Arena CCW?

We're off to see the Wiggles on Weds. and I would prefer to bring my
little friend in case we have a long walk to the car. Their web site states
that visitors are subject to metal detector screenings and that firearms
are prohibited. Does anyone know if they actively check? Are random screenings
something I should worry about, and if so, what would be the proper protocol if I
get "tagged"? I usully don't carry when this situation arises, but I get
defensive about my wife and 1 1/2 year-old in Boston at night.

Thanks,
F

Isn't the Agganis officially part of the BU campus? If so, that would make getting caught quite bad unless you have permission from the campus authorities.

Isn't the Agganis officially part of the BU campus? If so, that would make getting caught quite bad unless you have permission from the campus authorities.

Yeah, permit or no permit, I don't think that would go over too well with the campus cops... especially in an arena packed with young kids.

If it is college property, possession of any firearms, chemical sprays or ammunition is a felony unless LEO or permission from the college president or his/her designee (good luck on that one!).

If it is college property, possession of any firearms, chemical sprays or ammunition is a felony unless LEO or permission from the college president or his/her designee (good luck on that one!).

Actually, it's "carry on one's person", though you may have to cough up a bundle to a lawyer to prove it, and then another bundle to deal with the history of an arrest record every time you go for an LTC renewal.

Agganis is BU property, so yes it would be prohibited. Even if it wasn't part of the BU campus, hordes of idiotically drunk BU kids + concealed firearm = bad.

Chapter 269: Section 10. Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment

(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, "firearm'' shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

This does not list pepper spray. It does say "dangerous weapon". These can be shod foot, dog, chop sticks,...

I went to the Agganis last Fri to see Iron Maiden, and they were doing very quick pat downs on everyone. I wore mine in an ankle holster and they never checked. They basically just checked chest, back, abs, and arms. I think they were looking for cameras mostly. Didn't see any metal detectors at all. Although it was a heavy metal concert and everone there was wearing chains (which was clearly stated as being against their rules), but they didn't bother doing anything about that. I think the fact that it's a small venue and they shut the beer off at 9:30 (at least they did during the show I went to), makes it fairly problem free. Also, unless you want to spend $20 to park in their lot, just to sit there for an hour trying to leave, you're better off taking the T. Have fun at the show!

Frankly I hate BU, being a BC grad. But that's besides the point.

Just from reading BC's regulations, any sort of guns are banned, as are switchblades and knives like that. Doesn't say a thing about pepper sprays but I could have sworn there was something in there about them in the past. I would expect BU to follow the same regulations.

OT, but we should work out a Wiggles Trip together....being that actually you're just around the corner...

I don't know, but that just sounds funny.

Maybe you should bring a note which says they are responsible for the security of you and your family, and have them sign it if they disarm you. (-;

Carried by 6, or judged by 12.

But, it is a crime for the honest, law abiding citizens to carry on school grounds. Criminals won't adhere to this, however.

Assess the true danger, and decide what's right for you and your family.

Too bad this isn't Utah!

i was gonna mention about the verizon wireless arena..cause the wiggles will be there the 30th.

but after lookin at their site,they don't allow firearms either

Jesus, Chemical spray too? Well good thing rapes rarely happen on college campuses [rolleyes]

Durring my college years there would be 3-4 different discriptions for that weekend's campus rapists at-large.

They handed out whistles [rolleyes]

Makes me sick.

-Weer'd Beard

I worked as an Aux PO at BC PD for ~8 or 9 years, in the dorms from 7PM to 3AM on weekends.

Coeds had requested our presence after a rape in the dorms.

One Coed showed her ID to me on a keychain with a chemical spray. Our Lt. (FT BCPD with full arrest powers) asked me for her name and other info so that she could be prosecuted for illegal possession of "ammunition" (chem spray) on college property. He also advised me that even if she had an FID (very unlikely), to meet MGLs she would have needed written permission from the chief of BCPD and he would not issue this to any student!

Agganis is BU property, so yes it would be prohibited. Even if it wasn't part of the BU campus, hordes of idiotically drunk BU kids + concealed firearm = bad.

Why would that be the case? If it's concealed, it's concealed.

Note: I'm not suggesting anyone break the law here, but if the law
was non-applicable in this case, I don't see "drunk kids" being around as
being a valid reason not to carry. If the drunk kids are -that- much of a
problem, then it's best not to go there to begin with.

-Mike

State law in MA prohibits carrying any firearms/ammo/chem sprays on any college property, even if you have a LTC.

Otherwise, I agree that concealed is concealed and just because college drunks hang out in Kenmore Square does NOT mean you shouldn't carry.

As for Verizon arena, it doesn't matter what their website says. You are NOT breaking any laws CCW'g in there. They make the rules and if they make you (metal detectors, cavity search, etc.) the most that they can do is tell you to leave . . . you leave and no law is broken.

I worked as an Aux PO at BC PD for ~8 or 9 years, in the dorms from 7PM to 3AM on weekends.

One Coed showed her ID to me on a keychain with a chemical spray. Our Lt. (FT BCPD with full arrest powers) asked me for her name and other info so that she could be prosecuted for illegal possession of "ammunition" (chem spray) on college property. He also advised me that even if she had an FID (very unlikely), to meet MGLs she would have needed written permission from the chief of BCPD and he would not issue this to any student!

Typical. Chief Morse and the captain, forgot her name, strike me as ***holes. Although most of their rank and file officers are good guys.

It just boggles the mind as to why 1) you need a permit for a chemical spray and 2) you can't have them on college campuses. It seems like that's exactly the place where you really want to have a spray.

Typical. Chief Morse and the captain, forgot her name, strike me as ***holes. Although most of their rank and file officers are good guys.

It just boggles the mind as to why 1) you need a permit for a chemical spray and 2) you can't have them on college campuses. It seems like that's exactly the place where you really want to have a spray.

No, I was there and gone before Morse became chief.

It was Ken Watson who was chief and Maggie was a Lt.

The law about carrying on campus was written at least before 1976, in fact it was in response to the Charles Whitman shooting from the tower at a college in TX, so that puts it ~1966. Since MA categorizes OC as an "ammunition" it is banned. A bill was filed 2 years ago to remove chemical sprays from the "ammunition" definition (and thus no FID/permission required to carry it) but that bill died in committee, as usual.

So, it isn't BC PD that causes the problem, but MGLs. I've heard some rumor that Morse might issue the "permission slip" to some Co-eds if they request it. HOWEVER a major problem is that non-residents can't get FIDs only LTCs . . . which can't be issued to anyone under 21 yo. If your parents don't live in MA and you didn't graduate high school in MA, you will forever be considered a Non Resident while attending college, so the chief where your dorm/apt is located will NOT issue you anything.

Most Co-eds buy the OC over the counter in their home states and just carry it here, ignorant of our laws . . . but breaking the law is the only way that most Co-eds can protect themselves. Sad but I don't see any viable alternatives being available in MA any time soon.

There used to be a website "Citizens for Truth" which had a pepper spray pdf handout or flyer type of thing. The page now links to something in Indiana, which isn't it. The guy who did it moved from MA to NH.

Typical Massachusetts. Although then again I could see anyone even legally possessing Mace who uses it in self defense getting charged with assault with a deadly weapon in this state.

[puke] [puke2] [puke] [puke2] [puke] [puke2]

That's what I think of that!

-Weer'd

Weer'd, that's what I thought of it too!

I never got her name, as all we did was look at the ID and match it with the face and then let them go to their rooms. So she never got in trouble from me. I did give her some friendly advice that her ID should NOT be on the same keychain as the OC and I told her why! [wink] [Officer's discretion!]

Back
Top Bottom