Additional requirement info needed

The details of this really do need to be sent over to GOAL.

My fiance applied the other day for his LTC. At my suggestion he applied for "unrestricted" Class A despite all evidence to the contrary that he can obtain one in Watertown.

He was not instructed to bring the standard form, the officer completed that when he was there submitting the rest of his paperwork, which included:

- 2 letters of reference
- a letter explaining why he wants a firearms license
- copy of utility bill
- proof of citizenship (i.e. copy of birth or naturalization certificate)

On the PD web site it indicates that he must also provide a copy of his class instructor's credentials, but when he phoned the officer to confirm what he needed to submit she did not make any mention of that so he didn't submit them.

He was advised that in 4 weeks or so he'll be called to a personal interview with the chief to explain why he wants permission for concealed carry. That ought to be interesting.

Here's what their web site says for new and replacement proof of education:

* Written verification that you have recently (within 6-9 months) completed a firearms safety course approved by the Colonel of State Police. This course must be taught by a state approved firearms instructor. You must present a copy of the instructor's certification. This is required for NEW license applications. For RENEWAL applications you must show written verification that you have recently (within 6-9 months) been instructed in the proper care and safe use of handguns by a State, NRA, or Mass Criminal Justice Training Council certified instructor. You must present a copy of the instructor's certification.

Walpole

http://www.walpolepd.com/forms/form_firearm_licensing_policy.pdf

All first time applicants must provide (2) letters of recommendation of your suitability to carry a firearm from unrelated individuals you have known for at least five years.

All personal protection Class A and Class B License to Carry applicants must have a specific reasonable belief to fear personal injury to themselves or family. Written justification for such belief must be included with this application.

http://www.walpolepd.com/forms/form_firearm_licensing_policy.pdf

All first time applicants must provide (2) letters of recommendation of your suitability to carry a firearm from unrelated individuals you have known for at least five years.

All personal protection Class A and Class B License to Carry applicants must have a specific reasonable belief to fear personal injury to themselves or family. Written justification for such belief must be included with this application.

guess I can knock Walpole off my list of towns to move to.....

There's a cluster of such towns in that corner of Norfolk County; Plainville, Sharon, Walpole, Canton and Norfolk.

Wrentham, Foxboro and even Norfolk are beacons of light and reason in a sea of abuse by petty dictators.

There's a cluster of such towns in that corner of Norfolk County; Plainville, Sharon, Walpole, Canton and Norfolk.

Wrentham, Foxboro and even Norfolk are beacons of light and reason in a sea of abuse by petty dictators.

at least Plainville will give you ALP on renewal, which is a damned sight better than Sharon, Canton, Walpole.

Is it difficult to get ALP in Norfolk? From the "type" of town it is, one would not think so, but you never know.

Is it still CHief O'Leary over at Foxboro? went to school with his son, he is a great guy.

at least Plainville will give you ALP on renewal, which is a damned sight better than Sharon, Canton, Walpole.

Is it difficult to get ALP in Norfolk? From the "type" of town it is, one would not think so, but you never know.

Is it still CHief O'Leary over at Foxboro? went to school with his son, he is a great guy.

Yes, Chief O'Leary is still in Foxboro and Foxboro is still fair. Norfolk is a tad "iffy;" the policies seem to vary.

Pembroke is another ridiculous case

http://www.pembrokepolice.org/firearms.htm

seems they will downgrade if you can't prove serious risk to your person
Not to mention this:
A non-refundable fee of one hundred ($100.00 in cash) must also be paid upon the return of the application for a LTC or FID.
Emphasis theirs. What, they think someone's going to kite a check for an LTC???

I also note that they have a voluntary gun registry set up on their website by playing on the fears that if you don't have your serial number recorded, you'll never get your gun back if it's stolen. I have all MY serial numbers recorded... don't you?

There look to be many towns that want reference letters even if they're otherwise reputed to be reasonable. Here's Billerica's web page on it:

There are a lot of towns that require ref letters but are otherwise A/none, A/ALP towns. I think a lot of people mark them as green simply because they're happy with the outcome. Of course, strictly speaking, the requirement is bogus, so they really should be like "green with a hint of yellow" ? The good thing is the "greenish yellow" towns that require ref letters (usually) only require them for new applicants, then on renewals they don't care.

-Mike

Last edited:
Leominster

The last time I checked Leominster required 2 letters or reference, but only for a new applicant not a renewal. I cannot verify if this is still true or not because the pdf outlining the requirements is currently unavailable. My current LTC is from N. Attleboro and I don't renew until 2011 so I'm not worried yet.
Nope, I have an appt. coming up for my renewal and she told me I need 2 letters of Reference and they can`t be from Leominster cops. I will provide them with a note at the bottom explaining that this is not required under state law.

Town of Andover requires a doctors letter (even for renewal). Unsure as to the body of the letter....
from their website
Supplement 1: Sample Physician’s Letter

A physician’s letter is required for a Class “A” or “B” LTC and Class “C” FID.

The following is a sample of the letter required. Please have your physician copy the attached letter onto his letterhead.

Dr. John Smith
123 Sample Street
ANDOVER, Massachusetts
1-978-123-4567

Patient Name: ________________________ PRINTED PLEASE

Date of Birth: ________________________

I, ___________________, a practicing physician licensed by the state where I practice am familiar with the patient mentioned above. As of this time, I know of no medical or psychological impairments that would preclude the above individual from owning, carrying or legally utilizing a firearm.

Signature of Physician Date

also, they are over charging
The cost of the application or renewal process is $110.00 ( LTC A or B )

There is NO statutory authority for demanding a "doctor's letter" and the only authority these PD's can assert is the "wide discretion" permitted for issuing LTC's.

There is NO discretion in the issuance of FID cards and anyone who provides such an absurd letter to get one must have a door mat for vertebrae.

Not that I have an opinion on the matter.......

There is NO statutory authority for demanding a "doctor's letter" and the only authority these PD's can assert is the "wide discretion" permitted for issuing LTC's.

There is NO discretion in the issuance of FID cards and anyone who provides such an absurd letter to get one must have a door mat for vertebrae.

Not that I have an opinion on the matter.......

so, what do you suggest? walk in and say "here is my application, I am not giving a doctors letter"? Unfortunately, they would throw that right back in your face and say "well you aint getting an LTC"

yes, someting must be done, but I dont think walking and saying you arent going to supply certain things will get you anywhere...

so, what do you suggest? walk in and say "here is my application, I am not giving a doctors letter"? Unfortunately, they would throw that right back in your face and say "well you aint getting an LTC"

yes, someting must be done, but I dont think walking and saying you arent going to supply certain things will get you anywhere...

If you live in a town with such ridiculous requirements I would have a qualified attorney walk in to fight that battle for me. I'm sure the CLEO knows it's not legal and would know your serious if a lawyer is helping "explain" what the law is.

I'm so glad I live in NH. The $100 annually is excessive, but at least they play by the rules when issuing a non-res LTC.

that was the second part of my point, more or less. For those who are less financially secure, its an impossible battle

Well think of it this way......I hear many gripe that it it easier for us non-residents to get a LTC. I agree that they play by the rules for a non-res LTC. That being said, it costs me $100 annually and it costs a resident the same for 6 years. So the net difference is $500 for the same time frame. I sure many could apply that $500 to legal fees.

I feel it is wrong that communities in MA force people to acquire legal assistance to obtain a LTC. However; if I lived such a place I feel attorney fees would be money well spent.

I have to ask about statements like "those less financially secure"......I mean how much is spent on the purchase of a handgun? I would guess $500 on average, then factor in the current cost of ammo. Let's face it, this isn't a cheap activity for anyone. (even those of us in free states) If someone is that strapped for cash perhaps it would be better spent on necessities.

I chose to move from MA to NH almost 20 years ago since I didn't see the BS in MA getting any better. Looks like I made the right choice.

Just out of curiosity, how much would a "qualified attorney" cost for a task such as this?

There are a couple on this forum. You could PM them and ask. I'd be surprised if they have a flat fee, and everyone's situation is different. If I were to guess.....I'd say the range for a "qualified attorney" to file the necessary paperwork for a LTC to be anywhere from $500 to $1500. This is just a guess and I could be way off.

Just out of curiosity, how much would a "qualified attorney" cost for a task such as this?

Why don't you call or PM either Darius Arbabi (Cross-X) or Keith Langer (Scrivener) and ASK.

Good grief... We should make a sticky with contact information for the attorneys on NES who specialize in firearms law. I'm getting tired of repeating the same old refrain over and over again. [rolleyes]

I chose to move from MA to NH almost 20 years ago since I didn't see the BS in MA getting any better. Looks like I made the right choice.

I think that moving out of the state is the worst thing people can do. Basically you're making the ratio of gun owners to moonbats very unfavorable. People need to stay put and try to make a difference. If we keep picking up and moving on when the government puts on the pressure then we're no better than the moonbats since we wouldn't be sticking up for our cause.

Thank you for pointing that out.

So... Gringo, BostonAsphalt... there's your answer. You must ASK.

my point did not need specific numbers, and I did not ask for specific numbers. SOme people just dont have the extra fun money to spend on a lawyer for this, while others do.

Yes it is an expensive sport, but who here is to decide when a person can and cant afford to do it? Truth be told, if I lived in a red town that, with a lawyers note, might get me ALP, I wouldnt have the ALP because I didnt have the money to pay a lawyer at the time. I got my first gun for 200 bucks, and the ammo for it is dirt cheap, too.It is not as cut and dry as "hire a lawyer" IMHO

my point did not need specific numbers, and I did not ask for specific numbers. SOme people just dont have the extra fun money to spend on a lawyer for this, while others do.

Yes it is an expensive sport, but who here is to decide when a person can and cant afford to do it? Truth be told, if I lived in a red town that, with a lawyers note, might get me ALP, I wouldnt have the ALP because I didnt have the money to pay a lawyer at the time. I got my first gun for 200 bucks, and the ammo for it is dirt cheap, too.It is not as cut and dry as "hire a lawyer" IMHO
I believe what I actually said was
Why don't you call or PM either Darius Arbabi (Cross-X) or Keith Langer (Scrivener) and ASK.
The reasons I said that were because I do not know (as I'm in a green town) and because each case is different. What they charged one person may not be the same as what they'll charge someone else because of different towns, different things in the person's past, etc.

The lawyers are the only ones who can answer how much it will cost.

Why are folks so afraid to call up the pro and ask how much?

Watertown - UPDATE

My original post:
Originally Posted by Viking Kitten
My fiance applied the other day for his LTC. At my suggestion he applied for "unrestricted" Class A despite all evidence to the contrary that he can obtain one in Watertown.

He was not instructed to bring the standard form, the officer completed that when he was there submitting the rest of his paperwork, which included:

- 2 letters of reference
- a letter explaining why he wants a firearms license
- copy of utility bill
- proof of citizenship (i.e. copy of birth or naturalization certificate)

On the PD web site it indicates that he must also provide a copy of his class instructor's credentials, but when he phoned the officer to confirm what he needed to submit she did not make any mention of that so he didn't submit them.

He was advised that in 4 weeks or so he'll be called to a personal interview with the chief to explain why he wants permission for concealed carry. That ought to be interesting.

Here's what their web site says for new and replacement proof of education:

* Written verification that you have recently (within 6-9 months) completed a firearms safety course approved by the Colonel of State Police. This course must be taught by a state approved firearms instructor. You must present a copy of the instructor's certification. This is required for NEW license applications. For RENEWAL applications you must show written verification that you have recently (within 6-9 months) been instructed in the proper care and safe use of handguns by a State, NRA, or Mass Criminal Justice Training Council certified instructor. You must present a copy of the instructor's certification.

So, now that he has his LTC - target only in hand, let me tell you what happened.

Submitted paperwork not including copy of instructor's credentials. Had interview with licensing officer who, after discussion that I prefer not to post here, said he would issue LTC A - target only if I submitted proof of membership in my shooting club and a letter saying that I wanted to bring him shooting with me.

Back
Top Bottom