Additional requirement info needed

So, now that he has his LTC - target only in hand, let me tell you what happened.

Submitted paperwork not including copy of instructor's credentials. Had interview with licensing officer who, after discussion that I prefer not to post here, said he would issue LTC A - target only if I submitted proof of membership in my shooting club and a letter saying that I wanted to bring him shooting with me.

Typical Watertown abuse. There is NO statutory requirement of membership in a gun club and the Quincy District Court struck down Randolph's attempt to impose one.

Walpole

All first time applicants in Walpole must provide (2) letters of recommendation of your suitability to carry a firearm from unrelated individuals you have known for at least five years.

All first time applicants must submit a copy of their birth certificate

All first time applicants must provide proof of residency (tax or utility bill)

All first time applicants must provide certification that the applicant successfully completed a Firearms Training Safety Course by a Commonwealth of MA Basic Firearms Course Instructor.

Also I'll have to sign an "Acknowledgment of the limits on the use of deadly force"

I have no criminal background, am an American, took a firearms safety class.....then only thing holding me back are the two letters. Questions have arisen as to their liability should I be prosecuted in defending myself from a scum bag who tried to kill me.

Anyone have an answer for that one? I'm going to contact a gun attorney on Monday to inquire about their culpability in something like that. It's the only thing which is holding me back from obtaining my LTC.

Last edited:
All first time applicants in Walpole must provide (2) letters of recommendation of your suitability to carry a firearm from unrelated individuals you have known for at least five years.

All first time applicants must submit a copy of their birth certificate

All first time applicants must provide proof of residency (tax or utility bill)

All first time applicants must provide certification that the applicant successfully completed a Firearms Training Safety Course by a Commonwealth of MA Basic Firearms Course Instructor.

Also I'll have to sign an "Acknowledgment of the limits on the use of deadly force"

I have no criminal background, am an American, took a firearms safety class.....then only thing holding me back are the two letters. Questions have arisen as to their liability should I be prosecuted in defending myself from a scum bag who tried to kill me.

Anyone have an answer for that one? I'm going to contact a gun attorney on Monday to inquire about their culpability in something like that. It's the only thing which is holding me back from obtaining my LTC.

Only 2 (unnecessary, BS letters)? That's an improvement for Walpole, which used to require more.

As for residency, how about a voter certification from the Town Clerk?

Scrivner,

I thought 2 b.s. letters was excessive until I've seen others posting here that they require 3. In ours here they do make the stipulation that I have to have known these individuals for at least 5 years.

With the residency part, I've voted every time since moving here in 1995. Each time I go there they ask for my street address first, then my name, then say, "Republican". I correct them and say, "Staunch Republican" and smile.

Scrivener the club I joined had about 50 people there to go over club rules and such.Out of the 50 that were there there had to be at least 30 of them there just for a letter stating that this is going to be where they shoot.I talked with alot of them and it seemed most if not all were from brookline.At the end of the test and club rules being explained the range officer said to the class that he knows not all will be back but gave a word of caution saying the club recieved a letter from Boston and surrounding citys stating that if they did not shoot at the club and pay dues every year that those citys would revoke there license.He stated that the club did not care where they go but that the city of Boston and surounding areas are watching where people are submitting there letters from and 3 or 4 years down the line if they did not belong to any club they would revoke there license...This was what I was told when I joined...

Scrivener the club I joined had about 50 people there to go over club rules and such.Out of the 50 that were there there had to be at least 30 of them there just for a letter stating that this is going to be where they shoot.I talked with alot of them and it seemed most if not all were from brookline.At the end of the test and club rules being explained the range officer said to the class that he knows not all will be back but gave a word of caution saying the club recieved a letter from Boston and surrounding citys stating that if they did not shoot at the club and pay dues every year that those citys would revoke there license.He stated that the club did not care where they go but that the city of Boston and surounding areas are watching where people are submitting there letters from and 3 or 4 years down the line if they did not belong to any club they would revoke there license...This was what I was told when I joined...

I am a RO at that club.

Yes, ~2500 of the ~3000 members are "paper members" that join only to get that notarized letter stating that they are members of a club. These folks never show their faces at the club ever again, just mail in their dues and get whatever letter Boston (sub other towns if needed) requires when they go for their renewals.

Boston publicized (read it somewhere) that one must be a club member somewhere for ALL six years or your LTC will be revoked and/or renewal refused under "suitability". I have absolutely no doubt that they are serious about this and it would take a very expensive court case to fight it.

Meanwhile for the ~500 of us who actually use that club, we have a nice fat treasury and probably the best private gun ranges in the state (wrt quality of facility).

Welcome and I hope you become one of the users!

And just how, pray tell, would Boston, Brookline or any other municipality obtain the membership list of such clubs?

And just how, pray tell, would Boston, Brookline or any other municipality obtain the membership list of such clubs?

EXTREMELY SIMPLE!!

DEMAND that each LTC holder provide a Notarized letter each year that swears that the person is a current, paid-up member of said club.

LTC-holder refuses to submit letter and licensing authority suspends/revokes LTC under "suitability".

Certainly with your superior knowledge and education of the legal system and MGLs/CMRs/"practices" wrt gun licensing in MA you should have known this.

BR&P will NOT supply membership lists to anyone. Privacy is held to a much higher level in that club than any gov't agency I've ever encountered. The one year I was Legislative Chairman, it was like pulling hen's teeth to just get a breakdown of number of members in each town (no names, just total numbers).

EXTREMELY SIMPLE!!

DEMAND that each LTC holder provide a Notarized letter each year that swears that the person is a current, paid-up member of said club.

Extremely off-topic! The actual question was how a "municipality obtain the membership list of such clubs;" not your fabricated question of how membership could be ascertained.

Here is the concise and correct answer to the actual question:

BR&P will NOT supply membership lists to anyone. Privacy is held to a much higher level in that club than any gov't agency I've ever encountered.

Which is as it should be, making the short answer, "NOT from BRP; no knowledge regarding other clubs' policy in that regard."

Last edited:
EXTREMELY SIMPLE!!

So the short and correct answer to the actual question is, "NOT from BRP; no knowledge regarding other clubs' policy in that regard."

Correct, but these towns will put the burden on the LTC-holder. They can't force a club to do anything (assuming said club isn't within property boundaries of these towns).

Of the 4 clubs I've been a member of over the past 32 years, I am only aware of 2 that even issue letters at the request of a member. I recall discussions about letters at the first club I ever joined and the BOD of that club (at that time) decided that they would not vouch for anyone, thus no letters under any circumstances . . . of course this was >20 years ago and most towns didn't insist on any letters (not sure if any did . . . maybe Boston).

Scriv, I see that you modified your reply.

No, I can't vouch for any other club.

I would strongly suspect that if any club outside the city/town limits of the inquiring PD which asked/demanded a membership list, said club would either ignore the request/demand or tell them that they would never provide it.

However, bureaucracies aren't in the habit of creating additional work for themselves (e.g. pouring over 251 gun club lists of members to find people who have LTCs in their town). It's a lot easier for them to demand the LTC-holder to do almost all the work. That's why some places require utility bills/deeds/rental agreements . . . where they could look the resident up either in the computer or on the street list provided by the Town/City Clerk's office (info provided by the annual city/town census).

Not an additional requirement, but an additional charge - Sharon charges FID/Mace applicants $100.

That's FOUR times the statutory fee.

But hey; you don't have to provide the "doctor's letter" Sharon demands for a mere Mace permit.

Don't you feel safer?

Not an additional requirement, but an additional charge - Sharon charges FID/Mace applicants $100.

That's FOUR times the statutory fee.

But hey; you don't have to provide the "doctor's letter" Sharon demands for a mere Mace permit.

Don't you feel safer?

yeah, my gf found that out when she went to inquire. She was laughing from tears going "I guess I will have to move in to my boyfriends place in Attleboro and THEN apply to carry a pistol in YOUR community" LOL [rofl][rofl]

Had a problem obtaing a license in Norwood about 15 years ago when DiBlasi was the Chief. Went to a GOAL recommeded lawyer in Hingham or Hanover who said there was no chance in hell of getting a District Court judge to overturn a Police Chief. He would gladly take my money and fight it - but honestly told me it wasn't worth it unless I could spring for the cost of going all the wayto the Supreme Court. If I remember correctly - he quoted me about $2,500 - 5,000 at the time to fight it in state.

I joined BR&P last weekend, and hopefully within 4-6 weeks of my pic, print & payment to the new guard at QPD next week I'll be spending more time there then at home. :)

I joined BR&P last weekend, and hopefully within 4-6 weeks of my pic, print & payment to the new guard at QPD next week I'll be spending more time there then [sic] at home. :)

Which has WHAT to do with "additional requirements," exactly? [rolleyes]

All personal protection Class A and Class B License to Carry applicants must have a specific reasonable belief to fear personal injury to themselves or family. Written justification for such belief must be included with this application.

How about the fact that criminals do hurt innocent people?[thinking]

Here is what it has now at http://www.shrewsbury-ma.gov/egov/docs/1220984700589.htm

REASONS FOR ISSUE
Some common reasons for issue are:

* SPORTING - hunting and target shooting
* EMPLOYMENT - firearm used in the performance of your job (You will need a letter from your employer stating that they require you to carry a weapon, as well as proof that you have qualified on a range.)
* BUSINESS - firearm used in the performance of your job
* DEALER - dealer of firearms, rifles or shotguns
* COLLECTOR - collector of firearms, rifles or shotguns

Your application will not be processed unless you have met all requirements prior to your appointment with Secretary Carlene Silvestris, her phone number is 508-841-8427.

Restrictions

Some common restrictions to the above reasons:

* Non-concealed - concealed weapons not allowed under the permit
* Home only - not to be removed from home
* Business only - not to be removed from business
* Employment only - may only be possessed in public while acting within the scope of employment
* Day time only
* Other restrictions may apply to individual applicant

That only applies for "deep concealment".

Gun_Xray.jpg

Scriv: Thanks for doing this. I haven't had time to scroll through all 12 pages, so maybe someone has already mentioned it, but the GOAL office has been asking the same question for several years. I'm sure they'd be interested in your findings, and could share some other BS requirements that haven't appeared here.

Medford was just the application with 2 references (who were never called), a safety course certificate, and fingerprints. Pretty painless.

Assuming this was a new application, that is as it should be. If a renewal, the certificate was superfluous under both the statute and its regulation.

Medford was just the application with 2 references (who were never called), a safety course certificate, and fingerprints. Pretty painless.

Painless except for the kick in the groin at the end when they hand you an H+T restricted license. (Unless, they've gone green and I don't know it. )

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom