Additional requirement info needed

Changes?

Just got back from the PD. My LTC-A (unrestricted) was up for renewal. A good experience, nothing extra asked for other than the 100 bucks and an index finger print. However, the CLEO delegate asked me "why" I wanted the LTC-A. "All Lawful Purposes" was my immediate answer!!

Not good enough, he said. The online State form he was filling out would kick out that reason, he said. I asked if the State was attempting to reduce LTC-A's. No, he said...but somehow I have my doubts...

So forgetting for the moment what has been forever drilled into my head "All Lawful Purposes", I blurted out a litany of "hunting, shooting, defense" and other things which sure as heck sounded like restriction alley to me.

So the question becomes, has anyone else had similar experience? If so, what did you give for reasons and did you end up with any restrictions?

FYI: my wife renewed her LTC-A (unrestricted) in August of 2007 and he never asked her that question. Has something changed between now and then?

Ed

Mainer, I can't speak to recent changes, but his response re ALP doesn't ring true. When I renewed in Leominster about two years ago, I watched the computer screen as we went through the "online form" together. In the reasons field, she clicked the drop-down menu and "All Lawful Purposes" was right at the top of the list, and she selected it automatically. Sounds fishy, unless there have been changes to the system.

Thanks Windwalker.

I'm not too concerned (as yet, ask me when I get the renewal) as the CLEO/PD here in Carlisle have been very good in the past. If all goes well, in 6 years, I'll be sure to watch more closely what he's doing on the screen...

I do think, however, it helped when I started complaining about the The Sportsmen's Guide emailing me specials three times a week (He had a copy of their catalog on his desk and we found some common ground on "some" of their prices...)

All kidding aside, I did talk with him about my concern over any possible restriction since there currently isn't one. Only time is going to tell what he selected in that drop down box. I'll try to remember and post-back once the renewal comes through.

Ed

I just when through my renewal today, of my LTC-A ALP, in West Newbury. It was a very simple process; the simplest I have been through in fact among any of my applications in the past. The logic and philosophy was fabulous, if you meet the rules, you receive an LTC A ALP. Just as it should be. Just another reason to like this town!

I have been fortunate to have my last four renewals in very reasonable towns: Gloucester back in the early 90's - a cup of coffee and a conversation was all it took, Amesbury (twice) - a simple meeting with the firearms officer, and now West Newbury - even easier. I would have to think if someone is telling you ALP will get kicked back on the applcation he is, as they used to say ih those Cowboy movies, speaking with forked tongue :)

However, the CLEO delegate asked me "why" I wanted the LTC-A. "All Lawful Purposes" was my immediate answer!!

Not good enough, he said. The online State form he was filling out would kick out that reason, he said. I asked if the State was attempting to reduce LTC-A's. No, he said...but somehow I have my doubts...

This is utter crap. He's jerking you off.

All kidding aside, I did talk with him about my concern over any possible restriction since there currently isn't one. Only time is going to tell what he selected in that drop down box. I'll try to remember and post-back once the renewal comes through.

Hi All,

Just a quick update / followup.

My LEO called this afternoon and said that my (re)new(ed) LTC was in. I didn't ask any questions over the phone, just said that I would come down to pick it up. When I got there, he wasn't there, just the front desk duty officer. I signed the back but didn't want to inspect it right then and there. I got home, pulled it out and while I had to squint, was pleased to see NO RESTRICTIONS! (The smaller licenses are nice in the wallet but hard on the eyes.)

Given the nature of his question(s) at the time of renewal and given no eligibility changes on my part since the last re-upance, I wasn't sure what to expect, but am very pleased.

The application was submitted Feb 22 and LTC-A received today Mar 29. Now if only the BATF/FFL03 folks would move as quickly! [grin]

-ed

Hi All,

Just a quick update / followup.

My LEO called this afternoon and said that my (re)new(ed) LTC was in. I didn't ask any questions over the phone, just said that I would come down to pick it up. When I got there, he wasn't there, just the front desk duty officer. I signed the back but didn't want to inspect it right then and there. I got home, pulled it out and while I had to squint, was pleased to see NO RESTRICTIONS! (The smaller licenses are nice in the wallet but hard on the eyes.)

Given the nature of his question(s) at the time of renewal and given no eligibility changes on my part since the last re-upance, I wasn't sure what to expect, but am very pleased.

The application was submitted Feb 22 and LTC-A received today Mar 29. Now if only the BATF/FFL03 folks would move as quickly! [grin]

-ed

Interesting story. I'm glad it has a happy ending. I recently renewed my LTC and was not specifically asked why I wanted or needed it. There was one strange moment when I was asked if I was requesting the license "for business purposes", and I said "no". There was a slight pause, and then the Chief said "I have to ask" and the interview moved on.

A coworker went to apply for his LTC in Ashby on Saturday. He had downloaded the application from the web (a link to the mass site from the Ashby site). When he got there they gave him an additional 2 page "Instructions and Notices". Basically requiring 3 letters of reference and stating no one will get an LTC (A or B) unless you need it for employment, carry large sums of money or have some other compelling reason. I have a pdf of it, I can email it to you if you like.
I sent a copy to Jim Wallace at GOAL. This a new policy that went into effect 1/1/08.

The last time I checked Leominster required 2 letters or reference, but only for a new applicant not a renewal. I cannot verify if this is still true or not because the pdf outlining the requirements is currently unavailable. My current LTC is from N. Attleboro and I don't renew until 2011 so I'm not worried yet.

When he got there they gave him an additional 2 page "Instructions and Notices". Basically requiring 3 letters of reference and stating no one will get an LTC (A or B) unless you need it for employment, carry large sums of money or have some other compelling reason.

Utter crap from a statutory analysis, which does not require ANY letters. You also cannot carry concealed on a "B," so issuing one for protection requires the licensee to "open carry." Is that really what this buffoon of a chief wants? [rolleyes]

A coworker went to apply for his LTC in Ashby on Saturday. He had downloaded the application from the web (a link to the mass site from the Ashby site). When he got there they gave him an additional 2 page "Instructions and Notices". Basically requiring 3 letters of reference and stating no one will get an LTC (A or B) unless you need it for employment, carry large sums of money or have some other compelling reason. I have a pdf of it, I can email it to you if you like.
I sent a copy to Jim Wallace at GOAL. This a new policy that went into effect 1/1/08.

that is frickin crazy! what if you want to competition shoot?!?! you cant even own your own pistols to do that?!?! eff them!

You also cannot carry concealed on a "B," so issuing one for protection requires the licensee to "open carry." Is that really what this buffoon of a chief wants? [rolleyes]

Evidently. But I doubt that's what the buffoon expects.

I say give him what he wants (or allows), and see how that works out when one of the buffoon's baboons spots the licensee on the street with a sidearm in plain view ...

I have the pdfs that I can email to anyone but here is a link to some photobucket images of the pages.

Page 1

Page 2

The Town of Ashby needs to be served a giant helping of "suck my balls"
cartman.jpg

I hate when anyone asks for a letter of reference. I think I'm okay, but most of my friends are morons (which is fine with me, they're my friends.). How does the Chief check out my references?!!?!?? Ask them for refrences? I hate this BS.

Watertown

My fiance applied the other day for his LTC. At my suggestion he applied for "unrestricted" Class A despite all evidence to the contrary that he can obtain one in Watertown.

He was not instructed to bring the standard form, the officer completed that when he was there submitting the rest of his paperwork, which included:

- 2 letters of reference
- a letter explaining why he wants a firearms license
- copy of utility bill
- proof of citizenship (i.e. copy of birth or naturalization certificate)

On the PD web site it indicates that he must also provide a copy of his class instructor's credentials, but when he phoned the officer to confirm what he needed to submit she did not make any mention of that so he didn't submit them.

He was advised that in 4 weeks or so he'll be called to a personal interview with the chief to explain why he wants permission for concealed carry. That ought to be interesting.

Here's what their web site says for new and replacement proof of education:

* Written verification that you have recently (within 6-9 months) completed a firearms safety course approved by the Colonel of State Police. This course must be taught by a state approved firearms instructor. You must present a copy of the instructor's certification. This is required for NEW license applications. For RENEWAL applications you must show written verification that you have recently (within 6-9 months) been instructed in the proper care and safe use of handguns by a State, NRA, or Mass Criminal Justice Training Council certified instructor. You must present a copy of the instructor's certification.

Last edited:
My fiance applied the other day for his LTC. At my suggestion he applied for "unrestricted" Class A despite all evidence to the contrary that he can obtain one in Watertown.

He was not instructed to bring the standard form, the officer completed that when he was there submitting the rest of his paperwork, which included:

- 2 letters of reference
- a letter explaining why he wants a firearms license
- copy of utility bill
- proof of citizenship (i.e. copy of birth or naturalization certificate)

On the PD web site it indicates that he must also provide a copy of his class instructor's credentials, but when he phoned the officer to confirm what he needed to submit she did not make any mention of that so he didn't submit them.

He was advised that in 4 weeks or so he'll be called to a personal interview with the chief to explain why he wants permission for concealed carry. That ought to be interesting.

Here's what their web site says for new and replacement proof of education:

* Written verification that you have recently (within 6-9 months) completed a firearms safety course approved by the Colonel of State Police. This course must be taught by a state approved firearms instructor. You must present a copy of the instructor's certification. This is required for NEW license applications. For RENEWAL applications you must show written verification that you have recently (within 6-9 months) been instructed in the proper care and safe use of handguns by a State, NRA, or Mass Criminal Justice Training Council certified instructor. You must present a copy of the instructor's certification.

That is ridiculous!!! So, if I move there, and I go to renew, I have to take another course? f*** that.

Move ouot of Watertown and move to Arlington, or Wayland, tweo places not too far way that are green

I thought the western MA towns were gun friendly?

Just cause it's west of 495 doesn't automatically mean that it's "green". There are plenty of green yellow and "red" towns west of this border. If the chief is a pure a**h*** that's all that it takes to end up with a red town.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom