10mm or 45 ACP

Not criticizing, To each his own
But It's amazing how many say just a range toy.
My range toy is what I carry a P220 in 45 ACP best I can handle out to 50 ft
Everything else is the same
If It can't Hunt or Defend/Carry it does not come home
If your going hunting or to Alaska get a 10

View attachment 678677
You carry a 220? Can ask how you are carrying, and with what holster?
Don't get me wrong, I have one, and it's a great gun, and I have a 226 as well, even carried a 229 for a few years, (OWB) but that's a big ole carry gun.
One cool thing about the P series is that all of those guns will fit in the same holsters.

Yes, nickel-plated cases crack before brass. If you have bulges at the base, a full length sizing die may help.
Full length sizing dies often push brass way down to the base - even the Lee "U" dies.

Roll sizing for the win.

You carry a 220? Can ask how you are carrying, and with what holster?
Don't get me wrong, I have one, and it's a great gun, and I have a 226 as well, even carried a 229 for a few years, (OWB) but that's a big ole carry gun.
One cool thing about the P series is that all of those guns will fit in the same holsters.
Crossbreed Super-Tuck at the 3:30
And a lot"s and lot"s of saddle soap

Crossbreed Super-Tuck at the 3:30
And a lot"s and lot"s of saddle soap
Yeah I tried the Cross Breed Super Tuck for my 229/226/220 and wasn't crazy about it.
I ended up going with a good leather OWB and got a tip to skip the belt loop on your pants at 3:00 ish. This allows you to slide the holster fore and aft. Sitting or driving you can slide the holster to the rear for comfort. Walking into the mall, Home Depot etc., slide the holster forward for maximum concealment.

Life is full of trade offs. Most people shoot the big guns better, so it's natural to want to carry them, but it can become impractical depending on weather and attire. Every year, I look forward to the onset of cool temps and will break out the big guns. However, I have pretty much settled on carrying the big stuff in a Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holster, with two spare mag pouches under the opposite arm. The balance works for me and two spare mags is a thing of beauty.
A 226 in a shoulder holster, with pre-ban magazines, gives me a total of 46 rounds of 9mm, Speer Gold Dots, in a platform that is so easy to shoot that it is almost comical. 9mm through a full size duty gun has very little felt recoil, and it is very reassuring carrying that much gun and ammo.
It's also a great way to carry a 1911. Have about 4 hours of tractor time ahead of me today, picking up leaves, as well as my weekly trip to the barber shop and errands. I think I will bust out Galco and a Colt 1911. Just in case I get attacked by a Japanese Zero. [laugh]

Yeah I tried the Cross Breed Super Tuck for my 229/226/220 and wasn't crazy about it.
I ended up going with a good leather OWB and got a tip to skip the belt loop on your pants at 3:00 ish. This allows you to slide the holster fore and aft. Sitting or driving you can slide the holster to the rear for comfort. Walking into the mall, Home Depot etc., slide the holster forward for maximum concealment.

Life is full of trade offs. Most people shoot the big guns better, so it's natural to want to carry them, but it can become impractical depending on weather and attire. Every year, I look forward to the onset of cool temps and will break out the big guns. However, I have pretty much settled on carrying the big stuff in a Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holster, with two spare mag pouches under the opposite arm. The balance works for me and two spare mags is a thing of beauty.
A 226 in a shoulder holster, with pre-ban magazines, gives me a total of 46 rounds of 9mm, Speer Gold Dots, in a platform that is so easy to shoot that it is almost comical. 9mm through a full size duty gun has very little felt recoil, and it is very reassuring carrying that much gun and ammo.
It's also a great way to carry a 1911. Have about 4 hours of tractor time ahead of me today, picking up leaves, as well as my weekly trip to the barber shop and errands. I think I will bust out Galco and a Colt 1911. Just in case I get attacked by a Japanese Zero. [laugh]
Yes it is one of those trade offs
But when you go to a state that limits you to ten. And to do it accurately under time of stress. My limit is the 45. Tried 44 Mag,357, and a couple of others.
But the 220 just fit

10mm is the best millimeter. I definitely don't appreciate the 40 long comment.
They reason they went with 40S&W is because 10mm was a defective round: it had more recoil than a 50cal and less power than a 380.

The reason US won WW2 'cause we was using God's caliber, the 45ACP, while Germans were using 10mm.

Chuck Norris never laughs, except when someone is trying to shoot him with a 10mm. He says it tickles.

10mm is when you can't shoot straight and need an excuse not to go shooting. "I'd love to join you at the range and show you how great I am but I can't find ammo for my 10mm"

10mm is when you hate American 45! Basically, 10mm owners all hate 'merica!

Bears leave when they see you carry 10mm 'cause they don't like eating old meat.

Even today metric sucks. It really really sucks. Metric is stupid.
People touting the metric system miss out on some of the advantages of the English/SAE system.
  • If you are vacationing in Liberia or Mynmar you don't have to adjust to Metric
  • When you are in a Metric country and get stopped for speeding you get to say "what? You mean those speed limit signs are in km per hour?"
  • If you are running an eggery or pastry shop you can price things by the dozen, and be able to subdivide the order into halves, thirds, and sixth's without cutting a pastry or breaking an egg.

Last edited:
They reason they went with 40S&W is because 10mm was a defective round: it had more recoil than a 50cal and less power than a 380.

The reason US won WW2 'cause we was using God's caliber, the 45ACP, while Germans were using 10mm.

Chuck Norris never laughs, except when someone is trying to shoot him with a 10mm. He says it tickles.

10mm is when you can't shoot straight and need an excuse not to go shooting. "I'd love to join you at the range and show you how great I am but I can't find ammo for my 10mm"

Bears leave when they see you carry 10mm 'cause they don't like eating old meat.
There is zero humor in this post.

Another day and metric still sucks. I have two words for everybody. BIG BLOCK! The 45 works on the same principle as a big block. 10mm is like a ferrari engine. High strung. temperamental. You have to make sure the springs work with the round that your shooting. A 45 does its job with displacement. Just like a 427! Lots of air and fuel in and lots of power out. All without screaming revs. And in closing metric sucks.

Another day and metric still sucks. I have two words for everybody. BIG BLOCK! The 45 works on the same principle as a big block. 10mm is like a ferrari engine. High strung. temperamental. You have to make sure the springs work with the round that your shooting. A 45 does its job with displacement. Just like a 427! Lots of air and fuel in and lots of power out. All without screaming revs. And in closing metric sucks.
????

Overall the .45 has had a bad reputation vs 10mm

Lost me…

That said I have one 10mm and four .45s

All work.

I am so ashamed... I have a S&W 610 10 mm 1st issue and two 45 1911s but picking up brass is expensive at todays prices if you can find it - unavailable no back order? 🥴

Last edited:
For a general purpose handgun for target shooting and the occasional woods walk or bowling pin shoots it's pretty hard to beat a good 1911 in .45acp. If you want something with some extra horsepower on tap for fun or bear defense, 10mm is the way to go. Both rounds are pretty equal now as far as finding components and both can be pretty versatile if you reload.

I pick up my brass. You're supposed to. Club rules. well, we have a lot of members who think the rule is optional and leave a lot of brass on the ground. I don't go separating my brass from someone else's. I just clean up my station. All I can say is that I have more 9mm brass than any other. 40 is the second most numerous, followed by 45ACP. I've only picked up two pieces of 10mm in the last two years. Heck, I have found more 357 SIG brass!
This leads to one of two possible conclusions:
1) 10mm is so expensive and rare, most "10mm is king" fans on this forum don't shoot; or
2) 9mm shooters are the most obnoxious a**h***s who don't pick up after themselves.

Wasn't 10mm originally meant for FED BOIS but they couldn't handle the kickback so that's how the fotay was born?

Wasn't 10mm originally meant for FED BOIS but they couldn't handle the kickback so that's how the fotay was born?
Yes. Full house 10mm has a lot of recoil. It also beat up guns quickly, causing frames to break etc. So don’t use it as a reason to look down on feds.

1671016910411.jpeg

Requesting mods to move this thread to "Dad Jokes" thread.

Regarding which is better? Go out for a range day and try both on a IPSC 3/4 scale steel target. Be sure your 10mm rounds are loaded as 10mm was intended. Report back to the group what you observe vs the 45 ACP. While you are at it, shoot some 9mm as well.

First gun I bought after moving to Mass was a P220 Compact with the factory melt job and short reset trigger. Easy to carry OWB or IWB- below in the R Grizzle convertible IWB/OWB holster. Leather is horsehide, which IMHO has the benefits of both leather and Kydex. Really wonderful gun and easier to shoot and more accurate than your typical plastic fantastic striker-fired. I don't think 10mm is practical for any of the compact options, though if this gun were available in 10mm Sig would not be able to take my money fast enough. Production of EDC's is now ruled by the injection mold process, so making something like the P220 via machining and/or investment casting was rationalized out of existence except for the boutique Legion versions. The Sig P220 Compact was short lived and pretty much became a dinosaur after the industry started following Glock's lead. Sig had a P220 Carry for a while which had a little better capacity, but the grip was full size and I think a PITA for IWB.

e-reitz_orig.jpg

Requesting mods to move this thread to "Dad Jokes" thread.

Regarding which is better? Go out for a range day and try both on a IPSC 3/4 scale steel target. Be sure your 10mm rounds are loaded as 10mm was intended. Report back to the group what you observe vs the 45 ACP. While you are at it, shoot some 9mm as well.

First gun I bought after moving to Mass was a P220 Compact with the factory melt job and short reset trigger. Easy to carry OWB or IWB- below in the R Grizzle convertible IWB/OWB holster. Leather is horsehide, which IMHO has the benefits of both leather and Kydex. Really wonderful gun and easier to shoot and more accurate than your typical plastic fantastic striker-fired. I don't think 10mm is practical for any of the compact options, though if this gun were available in 10mm Sig would not be able to take my money fast enough. Production of EDC's is now ruled by the injection mold process, so making something like the P220 via machining and/or investment casting was rationalized out of existence except for the boutique Legion versions. The Sig P220 Compact was short lived and pretty much became a dinosaur after the industry started following Glock's lead. Sig had a P220 Carry for a while which had a little better capacity, but the grip was full size and I think a PITA for IWB.

e-reitz_orig.jpg
I have a BERSA Thunder UC PRO in 45 ACP and am amazed this is still not being a firearm of discussion - accuracy is exceptional hammer fired sweet trigger and a bone breaker. Nice P220 Rig... still looking for a better holster.

Back
Top Bottom