• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm or 45 ACP

I see this thread caught a little traction again. I ended up going with 45acp. Bought the reloading setup and an order from xtreme should be in Tuesday. Still figuring out which 1911 though. I'll be anxious to test some reloads soon so a trip to the mill will likely happen sooner than later :)

I'm looking for a new 1911 range toy and need some input. I currently dont have a firearm in either 10mm or .45 ACP caliber so I'm starting from scratch but I'm thinking 10mm over .45 mainly because I'll be reloading and bullets are cheaper. But then there's the iconic .45acp story. I'm really not looking for the best self-defense round or thinking about bear-country; just wondering what people would choose if you did not have any firearms in either caliber and were looking for a semi-long term caliber (I'll probably buy future firearms to match the caliber)?
... owned three... a basic 1911 Remington Rand I packed in VN... a Gold Cup and a Remington R1 (NOT RUGER) all were capable of excellent accuracy and the Remington R1 shoots as good as the Gold Cup which is... excellent.

Anthing that would cost more... only costs more. 🥴

Last edited:
... owned three... a basic 1911 Remington Rand I packed in VN... a Gold Cup and a Ruger R1 all were capable of excellent accuracy and the RUGER R1 shoots as good as the Gold Cup which is... excellent.

Anthing that would cost more... only costs more. 🥴
Do you mean Remington R1 or Ruger SR1911? Did Ruger use Remington's naming convention for a time and I missed it?

From a reloading perspective, you can reload 45 ACP cases basically forever. I suspect hot 10mm will use up cases PDQ.
Ok, let's be honest here: most folks who reload 45 ACP are loading them on the lite side. Good 1911s work reliably with the extremely light powder charge. I once had a chance to shoot a club member's 1911 with his own ammo. He said the bullet velocity was 370fps! It was like shooting a 22lr, yet, the gun cycled like it was nothing! Of course, that brass will last 100 years!

On the other hand, 10mm shooters like to brag how it's more powerful than a 40S&W. their pride stops them from loading 40S&W charge levels into their beloved 10mm. Those who don't have the "10mm is superior" disease, load light charge, like a typical 40, realize how ridiculous it is to buy a more expensive gun and brass, only to have it shoot like a 40S&W but with less reliability(light charges have their set of problems).
In the end, those who refuse to turn their 10mm into 40S&W keep loading to 10mm levels, drastically shortening the life of the brass. They put that 10mm in the back of the safe and only bring it out once in a blue moon, switching to 9mm so they could continue bashing 40S&W. Meanwhile, those of us who don't care about 10mm vs 40S&W, continue enjoying ourselves with the superior 10mm caliber: the 40 S&W!

Ok, let's be honest here: most folks who reload 45 ACP are loading them on the lite side.
I loaded mine to make major power factor, like many competitors. I wouldn’t call it a heavy load, but it wasn’t light either. Less recoil than factory ammo but similar power.

As for 10mm, I never loaded it heavy.

So I don’t think I can agree with you. 45 ACP is a low pressure cartridge. 10mm is not.

ETA: standard pressure 45 ACP is 21,000 psi. 10mm is 37,500 psi

Last edited:
Do you mean Remington R1 or Ruger SR1911? Did Ruger use Remington's naming convention for a time and I missed it?
Remington Rand was a US Army 1911 green anodized hand canon packaged inside a metal foil interior brown paper exterior that were issued in Vietnam 1969 - 1971.

My Remington RI is an early issue blue-black hand canon in .45 ACP... good catch - my bad - dunce hat for me - does this answer your question?

Last edited:
Remington Rand was a US Army 1911 green anodized hand canon packaged inside a metal foil interior brown paper exterior that were issued in Vietnam 1969 - 1971.

My Remington RI is an early issue blue-black hand canon in .45 ACP... good catch - my bad - dunce hat for me - does this answer your question?
100%

I wasn't trying to call you out. I was honestly trying to learn.

I loaded mine to make major power factor, like many competitors. I wouldn’t call it a heavy load, but it wasn’t light either. Less recoil than factory ammo but similar power.

So I don’t think I can agree with you. 45 ACP is a low pressure cartridge. 10mm is not.

100%

I wasn't trying to call you out. I was honestly trying to learn.
I cannot believe my fine mind 😂 moved the Remington into the Ruger category as the R1 - I also learned something. Have Remington made any handguns since this?

Yeah, they made a really crappy semi-auto that they had to recall.
Not the R1 I hope... been shooting this one using the same blue recoil pad with some pretty stiff loads and all good. 5.5 BE under 230 gr Berry's is my max <-> not recommended - next batch 6.4 gr HS6 waiting for weather to test... peculiar hobby.
Watched an interesting comparison of .45 ammo using wet soaked catalogs breaking beef ribs behind them and 230 gr Winchester White-Box Ball convinced me XTPs are not King - we have bears and our dogs can and do get over committed.

Was looking at some 10 mm and 40 S&W autos at the local hardware marine store and handled a Glock - ran the action and noticed the slide release was a two/thumb bitch to release... another brand was similar - I did replace the slide release on both my GC and R1 with wide thumb profiles but is this... normal?

Not the R1 I hope... been shooting this one using the same blue recoil pad with some pretty stiff loads and all good. 5.5 BE under 230 gr Berry's is my max <-> not recommended - next batch 6.4 gr HS6 waiting for weather to test... peculiar hobby.

R1s range from being OK to being total dumpster fires depending on luck, mostly.

Was looking at some 10 mm and 40 S&W autos at the local hardware marine store and handled a Glock - ran the action and noticed the slide release was a two/thumb bitch to release... another brand was similar - I did replace the slide release on both my GC and R1 with wide thumb profiles but is this... normal?
I replace the stock Glock slide release with the factory extended slide release. Cheap and much better. Easily replaced with a punch:

The downside, of course, is that the Glock trigger will always suck, compared to a 1911 trigger. That said, a double stack magazine full of 10mm beats a 9-round Delta Elite mag, so pick your poison.

I'm looking for a new 1911 range toy and need some input. I currently dont have a firearm in either 10mm or .45 ACP caliber so I'm starting from scratch but I'm thinking 10mm over .45 mainly because I'll be reloading and bullets are cheaper. But then there's the iconic .45acp story. I'm really not looking for the best self-defense round or thinking about bear-country; just wondering what people would choose if you did not have any firearms in either caliber and were looking for a semi-long term caliber (I'll probably buy future firearms to match the caliber)?
Enough already 45 acp

Have you tried loading 10mm to major? How does the charge compare to 40? What's the benefit?

This is where I ask why the Bersa Thunder UC Pro in .45 ACP is never mentioned? This bone buster has DA/SA hammer fired Sig takedown ambidextrous and is "accurate." My two issues fixed under warranty were a broken mag release and slide hold open catch. The 7 + 1 of 230 gr is a neat pkg.
I recommend this Argentine (ultra compact) LEO firearm - accuracy is impressive.

Anyone have hands on experience with the 45 Thunder UC Pro?

I don’t load 40, so can’t compare. I don’t think I’ve chronoed my 10mm loads but I’m sure they are major.
I load for a first model Smith 610 6.5" picked up new ~ $500 somewhere in the 1980s because it was... different? My first S&W Model 29 was a 4" @ $140 in 1967 and shot it rickety with Ken Waters 23.3 gr Hercules 2400 & 240 gr Sierras by the lb silhouette shooting - cleaned up on chickens and pigs - turkeys and rams were spotty.

This thread is like walking into a nursing home and asking the residents if they would prefer a Cadillac or Ferrari. I mean, there’s a clear winner, but you can’t be surprised when the room you asked picks the wrong one based on “back in my day….”

🤣😉

As someone who owned an MK23 this is not necessary, the gun will run wuss loads as well as stupidly hot stuff. Then again 99.9% of the time anything I shot out of that gun was usually 800FPS+ 230 gr. I think I did run some of my WST loads through it though no problem.

OwnED? Why would you ever sell a MK23?

This thread is like walking into a nursing home and asking the residents if they would prefer a Cadillac or Ferrari. I mean, there’s a clear winner, but you can’t be surprised when the room you asked picks the wrong one based on “back in my day….”

🤣😉
Target down... what else is the point - it isn't the ride that counts... it is what's behind your eyes and between your ears. 🥴

Back
Top Bottom