• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 29 Gen 5: Subcompact 10mm

always wanted one but something else got in the way. and it's in my wheelhouse, i love big, brutish calibers chambered in small pistols, much fun to play with as well as scaring the perps away when they see the huge barrel diameter in their face. i can only imagine that last part, i've yet to have the pleasure...

G29 3rd. gen. I had one at one time. I also did a 9x25 Dillon conversion to it. This was one of my favorites and in 9x25 Dillon it was really something.
For those that are not familiar with the 9x25 Dillon cartridge it is a 10mm necked down to 9mm. 115 grain bullet at 1800 fps through a 5 in barrel.

Glock really needs to include a grip extension like the one you get by default with the G30. Not that it's a big deal but they've always been mentally defective about not putting finger extension things in the box with the G29 and a few other guns. Otherwise looking forward to adding one.

Glock really needs to include a grip extension like the one you get by default with the G30. Not that it's a big deal but they've always been mentally defective about not putting finger extension things in the box with the G29 and a few other guns. Otherwise looking forward to adding one.
I hate the idea of grip extensions on compact guns. It's the short grip frame that makes them comact. Why even buy a compact gun only to un-compact it?

I hate the idea of grip extensions on compact guns. It's the short grip frame that makes them comact. Why even buy a compact gun only to un-compact it?

I get that, but this isn't a compact gun, IMHO that moniker is BS. A G29 or G30 is really more of a mid frame. We're talking about a brick here, it's just a smaller, easier to deal with brick than a G20. [laugh]

I get that, but this isn't a compact gun, IMHO that moniker is BS. A G29 or G30 is really more of a mid frame. We're talking about a brick here, it's just a smaller, easier to deal with brick than a G20. [laugh]
My personal take is yes, the G20 is like handling a brick, but it's full size with a decent sight radius and otherwise manageable ergonomics. The G29 is like trying to handle that same brick but broken in half. Same bulky thickness but you lost the sight radius and half of the grip. I prefer the single stack G43 because in a wallet holster it's pretty close to the size of a wallet, unless of course you are one of those titanium ultra-slim wallet fans like @FalArAk . [laugh]

If Glock made a single stack 10mm version of something like the G43X, I'd be 'in'.

My personal take is yes, the G20 is like handling a brick, but it's full size with a decent sight radius and otherwise manageable ergonomics. The G29 is like trying to handle that same brick but broken in half. Same bulky thickness but you lost the sight radius and half of the grip. I prefer the single stack G43 because in a wallet holster it's pretty close to the size of a wallet, unless of course you are one of those titanium ultra-slim wallet fans like @FalArAk . [laugh]

If Glock made a single stack 10mm version of something like the G43X, I'd be 'in'.

Despite the lack of sight radius for whatever reason I shot the 29 and 30 pretty well vs my other glerks. And yes the 20 really isn't that unmanageable. Otherwise i wouldn't have 2 of them. 🤣

Despite the lack of sight radius for whatever reason I shot the 29 and 30 pretty well vs my other glerks. And yes the 20 really isn't that unmanageable. Otherwise i wouldn't have 2 of them. 🤣
I could never warm up to those half bricks, but I suck with snubbies too. Probably one of many mental deficiencies not something physical. 🤪

I've given the usual coaching to Women On Target students that smaller, very compact guns like the standard G43 might not be as easy to shoot as something like the G19 or G17, but I had two ladies in a row disprove that theory by hammering the center of a target with the G43. One had not even shot a BB gun before and the other had near zero experience. So when it comes to sub-compacts, maybe you shoot like a girl? LOL kidding but those ladies really did well with the G43.

I think those buying these Glock 29's and 30's are going to be putting optics on them, so the sight radius loss isn't significant. That said, given the size of the 20s and 21s, there's not much lost going to the 40 and 41 as velocity is upped, especially in the 10mm.

I think those buying these Glock 29's and 30's are going to be putting optics on them, so the sight radius loss isn't significant. That said, given the size of the 20s and 21s, there's not much lost going to the 40 and 41 as velocity is upped, especially in the 10mm.
I can't imagine putting an optic on one of those little chunks.

It doesnt really matter to begin with I actually did very well in drills with my G30. This isn't a pocket gun. A 20/21 is still carryable, a 40/41 not so much unless you like making a huge clunk noise every time you sit on a hard chair..... 🤣

It doesnt really matter to begin with I actually did very well in drills with my G30. This isn't a pocket gun. A 20/21 is still carryable, a 40/41 not so much unless you like making a huge clunk noise every time you sit on a hard chair..... 🤣
For normal times like now, there's not much reason to choose the 20/21, that's for when things are not good like late May 2020.

I would still rather carry the 29/30 than the 20/21 every time, but when the time comes that the 20/21 would be better, the 40/41 are better still.

For those that are talking about
short sight radius or optics this is not a long range or target gun. This is a point and shoot.

For those that are talking about
short sight radius or optics this is not a long range or target gun. This is a point and shoot.
Ah, the old "belly gun" argument finally rears it's head and on a topic about a pistol with a near 4 inch barrel no less.

You know the 29/30 are the size of a Glock 19, yeah? Is a G19 a "point and shoot" pistol?

For normal times like now, there's not much reason to choose the 20/21, that's for when things are not good like late May 2020.

I would still rather carry the 29/30 than the 20/21 every time, but when the time comes that the 20/21 would be better, the 40/41 are better still.

Not sure what you mean by this, I'd much rather have a 20/21s than either of the longer guns. If I was hunting game with it or something, perhaps different story.

Not sure what you mean by this, I'd much rather have a 20/21s than either of the longer guns. If I was hunting game with it or something, perhaps different story.
I was referring to mostly peaceful times and the reason why you'd want a longer barrel for those times is because the extra velocity will extend the effective range of the pistol and if you run out of ammo the longer slide makes for a better club.

I've been thinking of picking up a G29 slide for my G30...

Also thinking about putting a red dot on the G30...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom