• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm or 45 ACP

Once again my voice of reason shall step in. We kicked the Germans assess when they bombed pearl harbor because they didn't use 45 like we did. METRIC is for losers. Remember there are two types of countries in this world. Those that use the metric system and those that put a man on the moon!

The metric system is a commie plot to weaken our nation. We sold the best cars in the world when engines had proper numbers on them. 327 Chevy. It all went down hill when we switched to liters. Nobody knows what a 3.5 liter is. Everybody knew what a 426 Hemi was. I blame Carter. Other then Joe shitzs his pants he was the worst ever. STUPID METRIC.

Even after a full page metric still sucks.:p

Even today metric sucks. It really really sucks. Metric is stupid.

I see the communists got to you. don't fall for it. Remember best cars in the world are measured in cubic inches NOT liters.

Another day and metric still sucks. I have two words for everybody. BIG BLOCK! The 45 works on the same principle as a big block. 10mm is like a ferrari engine. High strung. temperamental. You have to make sure the springs work with the round that your shooting. A 45 does its job with displacement. Just like a 427! Lots of air and fuel in and lots of power out. All without screaming revs. And in closing metric sucks.

Metric still sucks!

Even today Metric is still stupid.

Show me on the doll where metric touched you.

As far as 1911's go, the one new production 1911 I have that I didn't pay crazy money for and actually liked out of the box is my SIG 1911 TTT. It checks most of the boxes without any fiddle f***ing and it wasn't ridiculously overpriced for what it is. I don't shoot .45 or 1911's a lot anymore but when I do it's usually that one.

Just to be clear I hate the metric system. And it tried to touch me once so I shot it with a 45!
There is ZERO logical rationale in support of the imperial system of measurements, period, end of story. It is superior in every way as is 10mm when compared to 45acp (outside of shooting where its required games and reloading)

Go ahead, make a case that doesn't start with ".45 won two world wars" I'll wait [pot]

My 10mm is a Sig 1911. It came with 4 magazines which is not common. The only thing I don't like about it is it's propensity to throw empties so far that I can't find all of them. 10 mm brass is not something I usually find at the club.

My 10mm is an Sig 1911. It came with 4 magazines which is not common. The only thing I don't like about it is it's propensity to throw empties so far that I can't find all of them. 10 mm brass is not something I usually find at the club.
That means you need a stronger recoil spring.

Go ahead, make a case that doesn't start with ".45 won two world wars" I'll wait [pot]
1) Knowledge about 45 is far greater than 10. The amount of information on reloading a 45 is enormous. The number of powder choices, and bullets are staggering.
2) availability of reloading components. One of the most popular brass producers Starline Brass, has plenty of 45 and 45 +P brass in stock. Guess how much they have in stock for 10mm? None! A little bit of looking and I found 10mm brass, but most of it is used range brass.
3) Cost. The cheapest 45ACP brass on Ammoseek is 4.9c. The cheapest 10mm brass is 19.2c. Since 10mm shares bullets with 40S&W, 180gr 10mm bullet is less expensive at 8c, while 45ACP 200gr bullets are a whopping 8.6c.
4) Longevity. 45ACP cartridge operates at lower pressures, leading to excellent brass life(pretty much indefinite). 10mm operates at higher pressures and does not last as long.
5) Variety of choices on the market. Go ahead, show me any models of 10mm from, say the FN. What?! None? OK. How about H&K? What? But the do have a 45 offering?!

1) Knowledge about 45 is far greater than 10. The amount of information on reloading a 45 is enormous. The number of powder choices, and bullets are staggering.
2) availability of reloading components. One of the most popular brass producers Starline Brass, has plenty of 45 and 45 +P brass in stock. Guess how much they have in stock for 10mm? None! A little bit of looking and I found 10mm brass, but most of it is used range brass.
3) Cost. The cheapest 45ACP brass on Ammoseek is 4.9c. The cheapest 10mm brass is 19.2c. Since 10mm shares bullets with 40S&W, 180gr 10mm bullet is less expensive at 8c, while 45ACP 200gr bullets are a whopping 8.6c.
4) Longevity. 45ACP cartridge operates at lower pressures, leading to excellent brass life(pretty much indefinite). 10mm operates at higher pressures and does not last as long.
5) Variety of choices on the market. Go ahead, show me any models of 10mm from, say the FN. What?! None? OK. How about H&K? What? But the do have a 45 offering?!
Reloading - this is a willingness to find and an ability to pay is not a superiority in capability. The fact that a Kia is both easy to find and inexpensive does not make it superior to a Porsche.

Cost - see above. An ability to afford does not equate to superiority. While it may make it more viable to you and provide a better “value” that doesn’t make it superior. If we are arguing along those terms, 45 looses to 9mm.

HK - HK blows raging donkey cock and they hate you. Never forget that, they literally hate you. In addition to HK blowing, does the inclusion of a caliber from a gun maker directly equate to quality? If so, please see “hi point” for your easy to find, easy to afford .45 acp pistol

😈

Last edited:
Reloading - this is a willingness to find and an ability to pay is not a superiority in capability. The fact that a Kia is both easy to find and inexpensive does not make it superior to a Porsche.

Cost - see above. An ability to afford does not equate to superiority. While it may make it more viable to you and provide a better “value” that doesn’t make it superior. If we are arguing along those terms, 45 looses to 9mm.

HK - HK blows raging donkey cock and they hate you. Never forget that, they literally hate you. In addition to HK blowing, does the inclusion of a caliber from a gun maker directly equate to quality? If so, please see “hi point” for your easy to find, easy to afford .45 acp pistol

😈
So before I take apart this...answer... I want to ensure you admit that the original challenge you presented has been met and answered. Not only did I make a case for a 45 without mentioning two wars, I even did it from a unique position of a reloader. I could have made the case from another point of view:
  • 45 ammo is cheaper and more plentiful. 10mm is neither
  • 45 guns are used by police and the military. No agency uses 10mm.
  • 45 pistols come in every size giving people more options and choices. 10mm does not.
  • 45 can be used in everything from plinking to self-defense to competition. 10mm is almost non-existent in ALL of these market segments.
  • There are plenty of custom gun makers that make 45 guns. Virtually nobody does 10mm.
Again, no mention of wars. Your response boils down to, " Let's make fun of reloaders and hope this nobody notices that I was a wuss for accepting defeat. Also, ignore FN, a superb company, that clearly does not want to have anything to do with 10mm and makes fun of H&K, hoping people like H&K less. If 10mm can't stand up to 45, let's bring in 9mm to tag-team and hope people won't notice". also, comparing 45ACP to a Kia and 10mm to a Porsche is asinine. A better comparison would have been a Mustang GT with a 302 and a Subaru with a 2.0l but I should not be surprised: your entire response was not well thought out as one would hope plus you did not admit to being wrong on your original claim.

45 platform cheap to reload, easy to shoot, punches big holes in paper, bowling pin slayer, good defensive round, ubiquitous, some good, smallish, carry options. Versatile platform, can make it into a 10, 460, 45 super if you want to run with the 10mm guys in terms of power. What’s not to like?

So before I take apart this...answer... I want to ensure you admit that the original challenge you presented has been met and answered. Not only did I make a case for a 45 without mentioning two wars, I even did it from a unique position of a reloader. I could have made the case from another point of view:
  • 45 ammo is cheaper and more plentiful. 10mm is neither
  • 45 guns are used by police and the military. No agency uses 10mm.
  • 45 pistols come in every size giving people more options and choices. 10mm does not.
  • 45 can be used in everything from plinking to self-defense to competition. 10mm is almost non-existent in ALL of these market segments.
  • There are plenty of custom gun makers that make 45 guns. Virtually nobody does 10mm.
Again, no mention of wars. Your response boils down to, " Let's make fun of reloaders and hope this nobody notices that I was a wuss for accepting defeat. Also, ignore FN, a superb company, that clearly does not want to have anything to do with 10mm and makes fun of H&K, hoping people like H&K less. If 10mm can't stand up to 45, let's bring in 9mm to tag-team and hope people won't notice". also, comparing 45ACP to a Kia and 10mm to a Porsche is asinine. A better comparison would have been a Mustang GT with a 302 and a Subaru with a 2.0l but I should not be surprised: your entire response was not well thought out as one would hope plus you did not admit to being wrong on your original claim.

Not sure how you are missing the point.

Cost or your ability to afford something had no relation to the actual performance of the products being compared.

Availability - see above

Reloading - see above

HK - sucks and dont make a 1911

FN - see above except they don’t suck

Yes, it’s all layered in heavy sarcasm. But thank you for making your “point” from the unique position of a reloaded 🤣

I also stated all of this in the post you responded to by saying
It is superior in every way as is 10mm when compared to 45acp (outside of shooting where its required games and reloading)

Last edited:
From a reloading perspective, you can reload 45 ACP cases basically forever. I suspect hot 10mm will use up cases PDQ.
I have heard that if you load 10mm properly (hot), the primer pockets get worn/loose fast. But, I wouldn't know because I usually can't find half my brass afterwards anyways. No need to worry about case life.

The obvious answer is one of each. Any straight gun owner should have a few 1911s in multiple flavors. I just picked up an awesome Taylors & Company 1911 in 10 to add to the .22/9mm/11.25/,45 stable.

Unfortunately in Ma, people can't easily walk into any gunshop and buy what they want. Deals you find in other states may not be available here.

Cost or your ability to afford something had no relation to the actual performance of the products being compared.

Availability - see above

Reloading - see above

Yes, it’s all layered in heavy sarcasm. But thank you for making your “point” from the unique position of a reloaded 🤣

Cartridge availability is as essential to a cartridge's viability as is performance and firearm manufacturer support. Unless you are into some philosophical X vs. Y cartridge argument without any practical applications.
I just did a quick look at Target sports to see how many different types/brands of ammo are available for 9,10,40, and 45's:
  • 9mm: 33
  • 40: 24
  • 45: 21
  • 10mm: 6
10mm sucks on recoil, sucks on availability and cost of ammo, and sucks on manufacturer support, and yes, sucks as a reloading cartridge. The only place where it doesn't suck is ballistic energy performance.
This is why 10mm is a gimmick round, and 45 ACP is still a viable cartridge 118 years later.

Not sure how you are missing the point.

Availability - see above

Reloading - see above

If you stop feeding the troll cookies he'l just go away.

Cartridge availability is as essential to a cartridge's viability as is performance and firearm manufacturer support. Unless you are into some philosophical X vs. Y cartridge argument without any practical applications.
I just did a quick look at Target sports to see how many different types/brands of ammo are available for 9,10,40, and 45's:
  • 9mm: 33
  • 40: 24
  • 45: 21
  • 10mm: 6
10mm sucks on recoil, sucks on availability and cost of ammo, and sucks on manufacturer support, and yes, sucks as a reloading cartridge. The only place where it doesn't suck is ballistic energy performance.
This is why 10mm is a gimmick round, and 45 ACP is still a viable cartridge 118 years later.
Your lack of financial resources and inability to source product is a reflection of you and you alone.

10mm sucks on recoil? Ok Karen, time to go scream at cars driving by your house.

Finally, I clearly win as you cannot make your point without throwing out a reference to "118 year later" With that I will remind you of the superiority of 9mm to 45. Based on your logic there is zero reason to shoot 45 as 9mm is cheaper, more plentiful, easier to reload, and in fact older.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom