10mm or 45 ACP

I'm looking for a new 1911 range toy and need some input. I currently dont have a firearm in either 10mm or .45 ACP caliber so I'm starting from scratch but I'm thinking 10mm over .45 mainly because I'll be reloading and bullets are cheaper. But then there's the iconic .45acp story. I'm really not looking for the best self-defense round or thinking about bear-country; just wondering what people would choose if you did not have any firearms in either caliber and were looking for a semi-long term caliber (I'll probably buy future firearms to match the caliber)?
Is this just Broc tweaking our nipples again?

Getting 1911 in anything but 45 is silly. There are a lot of modern, more reliable, better guns overall that you can get in 10mm. Chances are, you want 1911 for its iconic status and are OK with old weapon reliability. I'm in no way advocating against 10mm! I just think if you want a historical, iconic range toy, it would behoove you to make it as close to original as possible. If you go with 10mm, you will forever wonder what made 45ACP such an iconic cartridge that 100 years later, people still use it. Instead, get a 1911 in 45, enjoy it and then get a modern 10mm .

This question is about as bad as 9mm or 45ACP. I have both 10mm and 45ACP myself and reload both. I don't load to the limits. Depending on your gun type. In 45 you have to make sure the bullet will cycle. I have not had that issue with 10mm. But, 10mm bullets are usually a good price since you use the same as a 40 cal.

If I had to choose between the two. I would choose 10mm. Since you can get loadings that go from the weak .40 cal loads too loads going into 41 mag power range. Makes for a good plinking gun and a good hunting/protection gun.

The 45 has always been the bench mark. It seems smaller rounds always want to expand to it.

I'd go .45, just because there are more gun manufacturers who make guns chambered in .45ACP, and you'll have a better chance of finding one that suits you, vs with a 10mm your options will be more limited, and what you end up with might not be what you really want or need.

Once again my voice of reason shall step in. We kicked the Germans assess when they bombed pearl harbor because they didn't use 45 like we did. METRIC is for losers. Remember there are two types of countries in this world. Those that use the metric system and those that put a man on the moon!
Let him go he's on a roll.

The metric system is a commie plot to weaken our nation. We sold the best cars in the world when engines had proper numbers on them. 327 Chevy. It all went down hill when we switched to liters. Nobody knows what a 3.5 liter is. Everybody knew what a 426 Hemi was. I blame Carter. Other then Joe shitzs his pants he was the worst ever. STUPID METRIC.

The metric system is a commie plot to weaken our nation. We sold the best cars in the world when engines had proper numbers on them. 327 Chevy. It all went down hill when we switched to liters. Nobody knows what a 3.5 liter is. Everybody knew what a 426 Hemi was. I blame Carter. Other then Joe shitzs his pants he was the worst ever. STUPID METRIC.
You mean a Russian hoax?

Then they did the same thing to our g@dd@mn lawnmowers. Used to be able to buy a 26hp tractor now you get some cockamimie thing like cc’s of displacement. How many cc’s do you need for a snowthrower attachment? Only fReaking Stephen Hawking and the baby Jesus know for sure.

the Toyota 3.5 V6 is one of the most popular engines around (2GR-FE) and has been around for a long time, it is pretty reliable

Ford's 3.5 is a problematic dog of an engine

Chrysler 3.5's made the later Ford offering look reliable

Nissan has the VQ35DE

The GM "high value" 60 degree 3.5 V6 was made til 2012

There was also a Northstar 3.5 from GM

I beg to differ but the 3.5 displacement is very popular and wide spread world wide

On a good day a 426 in stock form is a low 13 second car

a 2020 Camry with a 3.5 runs low 14's

I just shitpost to get a rise out of @drgrant. Some days he gets the humor. Some days he's in a pissy mood. Those are my favorite days.

10mm and 9mm is for those who learned whole number math in elementary school and decided they've reached the pinnacle of human knowledge. Anything like 0.45 or 0.38 confuses them.

That said, I'm writing this on my 385mm screen laptop, sitting in a warm apartment with a thermostat set to 20 degrees while watching the latest Formula 1 race from TX.

the Toyota 3.5 V6 is one of the most popular engines around (2GR-FE) and has been around for a long time, it is pretty reliable

Ford's 3.5 is a problematic dog of an engine

Chrysler 3.5's made the later Ford offering look reliable

Nissan has the VQ35DE

The GM "high value" 60 degree 3.5 V6 was made til 2012

There was also a Northstar 3.5 from GM

I beg to differ but the 3.5 displacement is very popular and wide spread world wide

On a good day a 426 in stock form is a low 13 second car

a 2020 Camry with a 3.5 runs low 14's
Nonsense! The 426 was low 13s because of poor tires and MASSIVE POWER! Plus you proved my point. Americans make a 3.5 and it's terrible. The Japanese make a 3.5 it's a great motor. We let ourselves get into a battle that we can't win. If we stuck with 5/8ths and 9/16ths we would have been still leading the world.

I'm looking for a new 1911 range toy and need some input. I currently dont have a firearm in either 10mm or .45 ACP caliber so I'm starting from scratch but I'm thinking 10mm over .45 mainly because I'll be reloading and bullets are cheaper. But then there's the iconic .45acp story. I'm really not looking for the best self-defense round or thinking about bear-country; just wondering what people would choose if you did not have any firearms in either caliber and were looking for a semi-long term caliber (I'll probably buy future firearms to match the caliber)?
For range fun 45 acp is plenty fun enough. As far as basing 10mm vs 45 for bullet cost ? Theres plenty if cheap 45 cal bullets. Plus you can find 45 acp every where.
You can also get a inexpensive bullet mold and cast cheap wheel weight alloy for some fun range blasting.
I like a 180-200 grain SWC with Clays powder , on the mild side and like putting Service Pistol targets at 25 and 50 yards and see what I can do.

This question is about as bad as 9mm or 45ACP. I have both 10mm and 45ACP myself and reload both. I don't load to the limits. Depending on your gun type. In 45 you have to make sure the bullet will cycle. I have not had that issue with 10mm. But, 10mm bullets are usually a good price since you use the same as a 40 cal.

If I had to choose between the two. I would choose 10mm. Since you can get loadings that go from the weak .40 cal loads too loads going into 41 mag power range. Makes for a good plinking gun and a good hunting/protection gun.

The 45 has always been the bench mark. It seems smaller rounds always want to expand to it.
Not to hijack but would you load a 45 at the high end for a HK mark 23? For cycling reasons?

Not to hijack but would you load a 45 at the high end for a HK mark 23? For cycling reasons?

As someone who owned an MK23 this is not necessary, the gun will run wuss loads as well as stupidly hot stuff. Then again 99.9% of the time anything I shot out of that gun was usually 800FPS+ 230 gr. I think I did run some of my WST loads through it though no problem.

ETA: the ONLY "HK ism" I ran into with .45 ACP is that polygonal rifling is aggressive. So you can't load the bullets as long, when I started doing .45 I was doing like 1.260 for 230 FMJ/plateds, but this can be too long for some HKs. It will actually work but have fun unloading the gun if you don't want to fire it. (the bullet engages the rifling on chambering). I ended up settling on 1.255" OAL and that was pretty much a universally compatible length for all the .45s I had for that bullet type. HK, Glock, 1911s, Sigs... no problem.

45 ACP. It's a low pressure cartridge and you can reload your cases basically forever. 10mm is a higher pressure case and I doubt they will last as long.
After I polished the feed ramp on my Colt Series 70 Government Model, my favorite paper-puncher was a hand load with a hard cast 200 grain H&G SWC backed by about 7 grains of Unique. Excellent accuracy and, as you mentioned, almost infinite case life. Then I got stupid and sold it. I have few regrets in my life but that is definitely one of them!

Not criticizing, To each his own
But It's amazing how many say just a range toy.
My range toy is what I carry a P220 in 45 ACP best I can handle out to 50 ft
Everything else is the same
If It can't Hunt or Defend/Carry it does not come home
If your going hunting or to Alaska get a 10

1666877731921.png

Back
Top Bottom