10mm

What does he have?

As discussed above, something like a G20 is smaller/lighter than e.g. a 1911. Plenty of people carry that every day.
LengthHeightWidthWeight
1911 Government8.75 in5.94 in1.41 in40.07 oz
G20 Gen 5 MOS8.07 in5.51 in1.38 in29.81 oz
A Springfield XDm 4.5" ! I've never seen one. I'd probably need 3 of my sissy hands to just hold it !! :)

Reloading components ordered. Man, I can't remember the last time I had to order bullets from missouri bullet company.
What powder do you plan to use? I've used Power Pistol and Blue Dot because that's what I have and their good for stout 10mm loads.

What powder do you plan to use? I've used Power Pistol and Blue Dot because that's what I have and their good for stout 10mm loads.
I went with Longshot because it is what I could get my hands on locally. I didn't want to deal with hazmat fees unless I was going to make a large purchase (I just did that recently).

Planning to back off at least .5 gr off the max load data for fmj, then start at 90% of that.

I went with Longshot because it is what I could get my hands on locally. I didn't want to deal with hazmat fees unless I was going to make a large purchase (I just did that recently).

Planning to back off at least .5 gr off the max load data for fmj, then start at 90% of that.

Thanks, wasn't aware of this one. Seems like a decent powder for halfway decent performance. I'd run it if I could not find what I currently use.

One guy in this 1911 forum thread says he gets 1300 fps, but others are posting chronograph data of ~1200 at max or near max. I think the 1300 fps guy is BS-ing. If you scroll down a bit, somebody went too far and had a pretty catastrophic KB:

Longshot 10 mm loads

Thanks, wasn't aware of this one. Seems like a decent powder for halfway decent performance. I'd run it if I could not find what I currently use.

One guy in this 1911 forum thread says he gets 1300 fps, but others are posting chronograph data of ~1200 at max or near max. I think the 1300 fps guy is BS-ing. If you scroll down a bit, somebody went too far and had a pretty catastrophic KB:

Longshot 10 mm loads
1300 seems too hot based on what I have been reading. I will be thrilled to get 1150 or so with a 180gr bullet. Looking forward to working up a new pistol load. I have not had to load pistol since 2019. I loaded that much 9mm, 357 and 38 prior to the covid bullshit.

Longshot 10 mm loads
Just went through the thread. Ouch. Heck, you would think he would have seen pressure signs before getting to that point. Although I did read some other threads where pressure can build fast with longshot.

I’m in for the 44mag revolver. 629 w/8-3/8 barrel will do the trick. The ammo won’t put you in the poor house.
Plus reloading it is relatively easy. I picked up a Performance center competitor and while I’d want a chest rig if I ever took it hiking (I probably won’t) the weighted full lug makes shooting it relatively pleasant. I have a G20 and a Kimber 10mm, but if I were really trying to prevent bear molestation I’d want the .44.
Am I compensating? Shut up.
Also, pics or the thread is worthless, no? 66673014476__133B110F-1408-40B1-9354-698BAFAC9AA2.jpeg 66672997120__830C3FC5-4CF2-4295-8BE9-D7D80A8779DA.jpeg

I had a Gen4 G20. I did like it. Accurate, and I could make fairly rapid follow up shots. I've had .44mag revolvers. By the time you recovered from the first shot, the bear would be on you.

1300 seems too hot based on what I have been reading. I will be thrilled to get 1150 or so with a 180gr bullet. Looking forward to working up a new pistol load. I have not had to load pistol since 2019. I loaded that much 9mm, 357 and 38 prior to the covid bullshit.
1296 at max load with Power Pistol. I have backed off that a little plus I'm running a KKM barrel in my G20.

Bears are not the clownish slow moving animals portrayed in cartoons. They are extremely fast. Two friends of mine were golfing in New Hampshire and a black bear burst out of the brush and stole their golf ball. One had left his gun in the car but the other was carrying a .45 auto. He said the bear was so fast that if it had wanted him instead of the ball, he would have been dead before he could have drawn his gun.

Bears are not the clownish slow moving animals portrayed in cartoons. They are extremely fast. Two friends of mine were golfing in New Hampshire and a black bear burst out of the brush and stole their golf ball. One had left his gun in the car but the other was carrying a .45 auto. He said the bear was so fast that if it had wanted him instead of the ball, he would have been dead before he could have drawn his gun.
How is that ball played? Whats the rule. or do you hit the club house to changer your underwear.

Time to see if @Ultrarunner has an experience with this, being up in AK.
10mm is by far the most popular woods backup caliber. I think most folks just prefer semi autos and use the capacity argument for justification.

I personally prefer my 500 Linebaugh for the added horsepower.

My friend guided brown bear hunts and has witnessed 400 lb interior bears dead on the first shot with a 30-06 and on the other hand a coastal bear around 1100 lbs that took a direct shot from a 458 Lott made a grunt and just stood there looking around.

A Springfield XDm 4.5" ! I've never seen one. I'd probably need 3 of my sissy hands to just hold it !! :)
LengthHeightWidthWeight
XD-M 4.5"7.7 in5.75 in1.2 in31 oz
G20 Gen 5 MOS8.07 in5.51 in1.38 in29.81 oz
1911 Government8.75 in5.94 in1.41 in40.07 oz
Per handgunhero, it's comparable to the G20. If you can hold a 1911 and have passable fundamentals, you could at least give it a try.

NB: I'm not saying you should change your carry; just that 10mm is still just a pistol cartridge, developed for LE purposes, in a duty-sized pistol.

Back
Top Bottom