• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm recommendations

Khackz

NES Member
Hey all,

Looking for your input on a couple of 10mm I have my eye on. I’m interested in the Glock 20 gen5, FN 510 tac, and the S&W performance center 10mm.

Anyone have any real world experience with any of these models? Will be used as a woods gun and possibly in a chest rig during hikes.

Thanks!

Interested in input as well, as I'm also bouncing between these. I will say just handling the Glock and the FN in shops, the Glock feels like a Glock, the FN fit my hand really well. Seems like a sweet piece, but at about double the price it's definitely got me thinking for a bit.

I don’t like the Glock 20, sold my Gen4 after a week of shooting it. I do like my Sig Xten and carry it in my tight chutes fanny pack sometimes. I’ve never had any of the magazine issues that some people had when it was first introduced.

IMG_5835.jpeg
IMG_5837.jpeg

Hey all,

Looking for your input on a couple of 10mm I have my eye on. I’m interested in the Glock 20 gen5, FN 510 tac, and the S&W performance center 10mm.

Anyone have any real world experience with any of these models? Will be used as a woods gun and possibly in a chest rig during hikes.

Thanks!
Woods gun + hiking = Glock 20.

Couple days ago I returned from grouse hunting in western Maine. I stayed at an off grid cabin and spent the week on logging roads and trails plus did a lot of off trail bushwhacking. Pretty much no way to contact anyone in an emergency and even if you could, it would take them 45 minutes to an hour to reach you. The area is known for bear problems plus moose were in rut. An Appalachian Trail through hiker I talked to had two terrifying moose encounters and I walked by fresh moose tracks and/or turds every day, all day.

I have a solid OWB holster for the G20 and it was perfectly fine for me- no chest rig necessary. You never know how much rain, mud, or dust you will encounter in an environment like that, which is why I carried the G20. I also have a gen 1 Delta Elite that I would not subject to that crap. G20's are known to function in craptastic conditions.

I like my G20, but for me Glocks just fit good in the hand and I can shoot them well. If you can try before you buy I suggest you do so, not sure of your location but if you're close to me I can meet you at my local range. And my eyes suck, so I do have a green dot on it.

Glock is the most proven out of all 10mm's out there. If you like 1911 feels and controls there's a Rock Island that holds 16 rds if you're not stuck in a capacity cuck state.

If it's 10 or less, I'd still go Glock. The 1911 is not the best platform for the 10mm.

Woods gun + hiking = Glock 20.

Couple days ago I returned from grouse hunting in western Maine. I stayed at an off grid cabin and spent the week on logging roads and trails plus did a lot of off trail bushwhacking. Pretty much no way to contact anyone in an emergency and even if you could, it would take them 45 minutes to an hour to reach you. The area is known for bear problems plus moose were in rut. An Appalachian Trail through hiker I talked to had two terrifying moose encounters and I walked by fresh moose tracks and/or turds every day, all day.

I have a solid OWB holster for the G20 and it was perfectly fine for me- no chest rig necessary. You never know how much rain, mud, or dust you will encounter in an environment like that, which is why I carried the G20. I also have a gen 1 Delta Elite that I would not subject to that crap. G20's are known to function in craptastic conditions.
I have G20 and it’s definitely a great woods/hiking gun, but moose? Black bear, yeah but 10mm on a moose doesn’t seem like a very good idea. If I’m worried about moose I’m carrying a long gun.

Last edited:
Glock is the most proven out of all 10mm's out there. If you like 1911 feels and controls there's a Rock Island that holds 16 rds if you're not stuck in a capacity cuck state.

If it's 10 or less, I'd still go Glock. The 1911 is not the best platform for the 10mm.
I never had good luck with hot loads in my 10mm 1911s

I really wish sig made the 227 in 10mm the 220 is the best 10mm shooter hands down

Everyone gets hard over "10 mm" but before you commit make sure you understand the cost to feed a 10mm if you intend to also plink with a 10.
Someone I know with a G20 often shoots .40 through it on range trips to save money. Says it works fine. Have not tried it myself.

Hard to beat a Glock for utilitarian use, sure there are nicer guns out there, but a Glock is reasonably priced, known for reliability, plenty of holsters for it, you'll never have to worry about magazines being made out of unobtanium, and when the Supreme Court rules magazine capacity bans illegal you can step up into hi caps

Woods 10mm is G20. Cheap pistol you don't care about, but goes bang every time.

I carry mine daily in a HPG Medium Runner's Kit Bag while walking to the shitter or elsewhere in the woods.

15+1 10mm in the G20 was lighter than the 5.5" Redhawk in .44Mag with only 6 rounds and the G20 was easier with the followup shots.

Back
Top Bottom