• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm recommendations

People are obsessed with 10mm...I still pack a .454 in the woods but to each there own. Kentucky Ballistics does an excellent bear load video if you're curious as to penetration of four popular bear guns and loads.

If I’m in big bear country I’d be apt to carry a 500 S&W. Underwood’s 500 gr hard cast rounds will stop anything in its tracks.

You probably know this but others may not-

10mm is a great caliber to reload and once you have some decent brass it's dirt cheap too. .40 cal bullets are readily available and cheap. Best part of reloading is that one can make loads with the amount of 'juice' that 10mm should have- not those watered down soy boy loads that most factory ammo features.

Agreed (although i would not call . 40 projectiles "cheap" at this time). My first handgun purchase was actually a G22 in . 40SW so when i opted to get into 10mm all's i needed for reloading was brass and a better suited powder for 10mm.

Agreed (although i would not call . 40 projectiles "cheap" at this time). My first handgun purchase was actually a G22 in . 40SW so when i opted to get into 10mm all's i needed for reloading was brass and a better suited powder for 10mm.
This very fact is one of the reasons 10mm is still floating around. Clear lack of interest from any governmental branch and manufacturers should have killed it a long time ago. The recent revival appears to be related to 40 S&W losing its governmental support. Ammo manufacturers realizing that their investment in 40 is less and less profitable, switch to the high-premium cartridge such as 10mm. Gun manufacturers, always on the lookout for a new premium offering for low to no cost, retool one of their 45ACP guns to 10mm and we end up with expensive guns using expensive ammo. Yay!!!!

Last edited:
This very fact is one of the reasons 10mm is still floating around. Clear lack of interest from any governmental branch and manufacturers should have killed it a long time ago. The recent revival appears to be related to 40 S&W losing its governmental support. Ammo manufacturers realizing that their investment in 40 is less and less profitable, switch to the high-premium cartridge such as 10mm. Gun manufacturers, always on the lookout for a new premium offering for low to no cost, retool one of their 45ACP guns to 10mm and we end up with expensive guns using expensive ammo. Yay!!!!
Maybe cheap relative to other stout calibers? Certainly cheap compared to any other powerful auto calibers.

Of course 9mm is almost as cheap as 22LR. At least 9mm packs slightly more punch than 22LR.
[laugh]

I did the polymer80 version of a Glock20.(3 of them actually, but that's another story) There's lots of pictures on it in the polymer80 thread over in DIY. Silly fun pistol. My method was likely way more $ than just buying a Glock20. But dang is it a fun monster.

There are numerous park/forest rangers and fish&game agencies that issue Glock 20 in 10mm. And that has led to many outdoorsmen switching to 10mm as well, leaving their 44 or 357 magnum revolvers.

I’ve seen fudds, with safes full of blued steel and wood, do the switch to Glock 20s, in large part because of those government agency adoptions lending credibility to the cartridge.

There are numerous park/forest rangers and fish&game agencies that issue Glock 20 in 10mm.
How many? Is it an agency-level mandate or just individual park rangers requesting an exception due to the local bear population?

10mm is famous for monster recoil(justified or not, the perception is real). Law enforcement is moving away from 40, which has a lower recoil than 10mm, to 9mm primarily due to recoil concerns and cost. For "stopping power" police carry M4s and shotguns.

I did the polymer80 version of a Glock20
there is nothing wrong with P80 version at all, but gen5 got a grip to fit and feel a little bit better, as well as some other improvements, so, i would still vote for a gen5 authentic version here.

Last edited:
How many? Is it an agency-level mandate or just individual park rangers requesting an exception due to the local bear population?

10mm is famous for monster recoil(justified or not, the perception is real). Law enforcement is moving away from 40, which has a lower recoil than 10mm, to 9mm primarily due to recoil concerns and cost. For "stopping power" police carry M4s and shotguns.
I hate recoil but tried out a Glock 20 at the range a few weeks ago. Maybe being a Gen4 the dual spring system made a difference (plus lighter weight bullet) but it bothered me less than a Gen3 in .40

I can’t find a list at the moment. “Numerous” may have been excessive, but definitely a handful, and I’m talking about actual issued firearms and ammo. I don’t know if it’s “mandated”, but a definitely issued option.

But there are definitely many normal LE agencies around the country, who have nothing to do with bears, who authorize 10mm but don’t issue it. I bet close to nobody in those agencies actually carries it for their duty pistols though because they’d be on the hook for supplying their own ammo.

And because wound ballistics research has shown that good 9mm JHP is just as effective as the larger cartridges against humans, and may be even better since it’s more controllable for faster follow up shots and magazines hold more ammo. All pistol calibers suck at killing and unless you hit the CNS, you’re going to need multiple shots to stop a threat.

there is nothing wrong with P80 version at all, but gen5 got a grip to fit and feel a little bit better, as well as some other improvements, so, i would still vote for a gen5 authentic version here.

I tried the grip on a 10mm P80 once:

bricks-red0126mco-64_1000.jpg

😄

I'm kind of meh on my G20. It shoots fine. I need more time on it to get good and to zero in the optic. What I don't like is the feel of the gun in my hand. I guess I just have the wrong hand size for it to not feel like a 2x3.

I'm kind of meh on my G20. It shoots fine. I need more time on it to get good and to zero in the optic. What I don't like is the feel of the gun in my hand. I guess I just have the wrong hand size for it to not feel like a 2x3.
Well, it's a Glock not a Staccato. "Meh" is what it's about... :D

Same.
Maybe if enough of us offer @paul73 will make it to the range again one day ;)

If you'll only let yourself get the one, I'd guess you'll prefer the Tanfo. The Glock is great if you're carrying it in the woods (see @Mountain's comments) or otherwise beating on it, but we both know the experience of shooting a CZ (even if the clone isn't 100%) will be more enjoyable.

And you'll get to say you have the one that's more rare...
Hey, I can bring my Glock 20c to the range any time I have an opening in my packed schedule!

Are you guys seriously suggesting that 10mm has excessive recoil? I thought this forum was for shooters....
Shooters can also see when a cartridge is not as balanced as other cartridges (ie 9mm) and don't care to deal with the useless aspects of the cartridge(ie recoil)
30-06 used to be a popular cartridge. 308 has less recoil and is as effective in all but a few cases. Am I expected to love the recoil of 30-06?

US military units do not use 30-06 or 10mm. Are they not "shooters"? Perhaps SWAT marksmen, who use 308's are also not "shooters"?

This is a forum of people who enjoy different things(they're all wrong about 40 S&W but that's another story) and don't have to subscribe to a single point of view.

Back
Top Bottom