10mm recommendations

Sig P220 10MM. I have four of them....I have never shot a more accurate handgun...not even an Ed Brown Custom 1911 was as accurate for me, and the Sig goes bang every time. Heavier than the Glock, but after ten minutes who knows the wiser.

Funny you mention this situation. One of my range trips, i was shooting my Kimber 10mm LS and my FNX45T. Shooting the kimber , first mag shot : "this rig is heavy" . After 50 rounds : "meh, the kimber isnt too heavy". Then grab the FNX45 : " yup, the Kimber IS heavy ! " Lol

I've said this before in a couple of other threads, but for some reason the handgun I'm most accurate with is my Sig P220 Elite 10mm. It is heavy, but since I'm not a lover of punishing recoil I appreciate that when using DoubleTap's 230 gr hardcast.

View attachment 807976
I have the exact same gun...time to go shooting again.!

I vote for the Glock 20. For whatever it’s worth I’m planning a bucket list remote fishing trip in Montana and the plan is picking up a Glock 20 Gen 5 with a Trijicon RMR. From everything that I’ve researched it’s near perfect for grizzly bears.

I'm thinking I want a long slide 1911 in 10mm because I believe steel and wood are best for firearms.
Well that and me being a disciple of John Moses Browning [bow] makes it a natural choice. [smile]
I also have one of these:
10mm.jpg

Springfield Armory 10mm 1911 TRP Operator Longslide. Weight is almost identical to the P220, 6 inch match grade bull barrel, same grip angle as the P220 (i.e. 1911), adjustable target sights. Don't shoot it anywhere near as well as the P220. And it is me, not the gun, since others shoot it and it is a tack driver for them.

I built my own 6" 1911 in 10mm. Always fun to do builds. But I prefer the Tanfo, which is a 14 round double stack. If you want something that will be closer to competition accuracy, you'll want a 1911/2011 or Tanfo. I've never been a fan of the Sig triggers (and I have various Sigs) both hammer and striker. The 320 did have a pretty good trigger for a striker though.

I also have one of these:
View attachment 808046

Springfield Armory 10mm 1911 TRP Operator Longslide. Weight is almost identical to the P220, 6 inch match grade bull barrel, same grip angle as the P220 (i.e. 1911), adjustable target sights. Don't shoot it anywhere near as well as the P220. And it is me, not the gun, since others shoot it and it is a tack driver for them.
Don’t have the long slide but I certainly love the 5”.

How's the trigger on the SA TRP? The trigger on the Sig TACOPS 45 was terrible from the factory and needed a lot of work just to get it to a crisp 4lbs. Sig had also made the TACOPS in 10mm for a time.

It all comes down to if you want a Texas BBQ gun to show off or do you want a gun you can have confidence in when the bear is about to rip your face off?There is no question; utilitarian G20 or do you want a show and tell gun that may or may not do what it is ment to do?

It all comes down to if you want a Texas BBQ gun to show off or do you want a gun you can have confidence in when the bear is about to rip your face off?There is no question; utilitarian G20 or do you want a show and tell gun that may or may not do what it is ment to do?
Totally agree for bear applications. For woods, I recommend the G29 or G20. Both are bricks but most good 10mm shooters need to be and you need something that will run in any conditions. Can't beat the glocks for that. For range shooting, I would pass on the glocks and other tupperware guns except maybe the 320. It's not at all about show and tell, it's about having a gun that will shoot lights out accurate. You aren't likely to shoot a glock the way you would shoot something like a Shadow 2, just as an example. There is nothing elitist about higher end stuff when you are trying to match the gun with the application.

How's the trigger on the SA TRP? The trigger on the Sig TACOPS 45 was terrible from the factory and needed a lot of work just to get it to a crisp 4lbs. Sig had also made the TACOPS in 10mm for a time.
Pretty much like any other 1911. Good, but nothing outstanding for a 1911.

OP: Looking for a 10mm suitable for wilderness purposes.

NES: Get a $$$$$ Gucci Range Queen 10mm.

LOL I have enjoyed the discussion and now have G.A.S. for a few of the 10mm's posted, but...

Everyone gets hard over "10 mm" but before you commit make sure you understand the cost to feed a 10mm if you intend to also plink with a 10.
Locally, I've seen 10mm for less than 45acp.
I have G20 and it’s definitely a great woods/hiking gun, but moose? Black bear, yeah but 10mm on a moose doesn’t seem like a very good idea. If I’m worried about moose I’m carrying a long gun.
Hmm. I know Greenland is using 10mm for polar bears.

Sig P220 10MM. I have four of them....I have never shot a more accurate handgun...not even an Ed Brown Custom 1911 was as accurate for me, and the Sig goes bang every time. Heavier than the Glock, but after ten minutes who knows the wiser.
Are a lot of people up your way using the 10mm? For the "big stuff"?

Everyone gets hard over "10 mm" but before you commit make sure you understand the cost to feed a 10mm if you intend to also plink with a 10.
You probably know this but others may not-

10mm is a great caliber to reload and once you have some decent brass it's dirt cheap too. .40 cal bullets are readily available and cheap. Best part of reloading is that one can make loads with the amount of 'juice' that 10mm should have- not those watered down soy boy loads that most factory ammo features.

Looking for your input on a couple of 10mm I have my eye on. I’m interested in the Glock 20 gen5, FN 510 tac, and the S&W performance center 10mm.

Anyone have any real world experience with any of these models? Will be used as a woods gun and possibly in a chest rig during hikes.
Here are my experiences from most experienced to least:

S&W 1000 series(I want to say 1006 but it's been decades): This is an all-metal gun which makes it a good match for 10mm. Weight is a gun's saving grace. In every other respect, it's an awkward gun. It was an easy gun to shoot far. It was fun hitting steel plates at 100 yd and seeing them move. I've never experienced that with 9mm.

G20: The default 10mm gun. Most fanboys will recommend it for the simple reason that it is affordable and fairly easy to find. didn't do it for me. As a shooter, It is a Glock: boring AF, the grip angle is old school which makes initial acquisition difficult, and the weight(or lack of) means you really have to focus on proper grip and stance to absorb all that recoil. This is the gun that gave me a feeling of "too much caliber for the gun" and I've shot 500S&W plenty!

FN 510: I've only had one magazine through it but EVERYTHING about this gun says "We've thought about everything a proper 10mm gun should be". In all the years that I've spent making fun of 10mm fanboys, this is the first time I've shot a 10mm gun and thought to myself: hey, that 10mm cartridge is not bad! If I were to buy a 10mm gun, it would be the 510 hands down.

P.S. Obligatory stuff: 10mm is a 40S&W wannabe and 9mm is a wimpy German caliber that lost 2 world wars. 40 S&W is perfection!

Back
Top Bottom