• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm recommendations

Hey all,

Looking for your input on a couple of 10mm I have my eye on. I’m interested in the Glock 20 gen5, FN 510 tac, and the S&W performance center 10mm.

Anyone have any real world experience with any of these models? Will be used as a woods gun and possibly in a chest rig during hikes.

Thanks!
Glock 20 is great. Buy the popular chest rig for it (forget the brand). There are plenty of Glocks that are sold on here for not too much money. I got like 3 offers when I posted that I wanted one. I find the recoil to be fine. Get some Buffalo Bore hardcast bullets for bear country. If you don’t like it, they are easy to sell too. Can’t lose.

Glock 20 is great. Buy the popular chest rig for it (forget the brand). There are plenty of Glocks that are sold on here for not too much money. I got like 3 offers when I posted that I wanted one. I find the recoil to be fine. Get some Buffalo Bore hardcast bullets for bear country. If you don’t like it, they are easy to sell too. Can’t lose.
You're thinking of the Kenai Chest Holster from Gunfighters Inc. Excellent option.

I got this chest holster off eBay, very happy with it however I’ve only worn it around the house pretending to get charged by a bear/ moose.

Anyone have any experience with the Buffalo 200 grain ammo? Really wanna try it. How bad could the recoil be in my FN 510?

Anyone have any experience with the Buffalo 200 grain ammo? Really wanna try it. How bad could the recoil be in my FN 510?
From Tim Sundles himself (founder and owner of Buffalo Bore):

“FELT” RECOIL

The single most impossible-to-answer question we get is regarding which load/cartridge “kicks” the most. Felt recoil is highly subjective and there is no formula or definitive number that can be assigned. We can determine free recoil via the laws of Newtonian physics, but “felt” recoil is entirely dependent on many factors that cannot be defined or quantified.

EXAMPLE:

I am CONTINUOUSLY asked about which 44 mag. or 454 Casull (insert any cartridge) kicks the most. However, if I were to give my opinion, it would be based on my hand shape, hand size, forearm mass and strength, bone density, experience, nervous system, mind set, weight/mass of the handgun, shape of handgun grip and how that fits my hand shape/size, etc, etc, etc. So, what I think I feel in regards to recoil, will vary at least a little, if not a lot, from person to person. Hence, asking any person other than yourself, about how much (felt) some cartridge kicks, is entirely pointless. This means that the only way to know what you will feel, is to get the ammo in question and fire it in the gun in question. Many, many times I have informed a shooting partner that “this load/gun combination doesn’t kick at all”, only to have that person cringe in pain upon firing the first round and then refuse to shoot it any more………

EXPERIENCE TRUMPS FEAR

Further, I am convinced that folks, who are concerned about felt recoil, need to get out and shoot more, until they are so familiar with the recoil that they no longer think about it as a factor in their decision making. Free recoil and how it translates to felt recoil, in modern sporting arms is not a scary thing once we experience it and take the mystery/fear out of it. There is no substitute for experience.

Good shooting and God bless,
Tim

I’ve had the Ruger 1911 10mm and a Colt Delta Elite. I liked the Ruger a lot, no issues with it but had to let it go to pay for a Hawaiian vacation. The Delta Elite was a blued model built in 1989. It was very heavy recoiling, more so than the Ruger or so it seemed But it was beautiful. I came across this S&W Model 1026 by chance. It is without a doubt the best of the bred (bold statement i know and I have never shot the Glock [never really cared for the Glock]). It shots like it’s a 9mm, it’s built like a tank. The only down side was the price of the magazines if you can find them. I was a little heart broken when I had to give up the Delta Elite to pay for my wife’s new class b camper van, it was really no hard decision to keep the S&W and let the Colt go. I use the DeSantis Yukon Hunter chest holster which I find very comfortable. So, if you are serious about the 10mm and IF you can find one of the S&W 10mm then IMHO I think you can’t go wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2425.jpeg
    IMG_2425.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2424.jpeg
    IMG_2424.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2423.jpeg
    IMG_2423.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 13
Its hot but a g20 soaks it up fine I'm sure the 510 would do the same

The only guns those suck to shoot are cheap 10mm 1911s... in my experience with them they are too hot and cause them to stovepipe or jam

And g29s...cuz glock knuckle is real on the smaller frames

I’ve had the Ruger 1911 10mm and a Colt Delta Elite. I liked the Ruger a lot, no issues with it but had to let it go to pay for a Hawaiian vacation. The Delta Elite was a blued model built in 1989. It was very heavy recoiling, more so than the Ruger or so it seemed But it was beautiful. I came across this S&W Model 1026 by chance. It is without a doubt the best of the bred (bold statement i know and I have never shot the Glock [never really cared for the Glock]). It shots like it’s a 9mm, it’s built like a tank. The only down side was the price of the magazines if you can find them. I was a little heart broken when I had to give up the Delta Elite to pay for my wife’s new class b camper van, it was really no hard decision to keep the S&W and let the Colt go. I use the DeSantis Yukon Hunter chest holster which I find very comfortable. So, if you are serious about the 10mm and IF you can find one of the S&W 10mm then IMHO I think you can’t go wrong.
The 1026 is the bigger one right?

I always wanted one of those

Sounds like it would be cheaper to get rid of the wife and keep the toys. Just sayin' ! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom