• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger announces a .45 ACP carbine

It sells because it's cheap and decently effective, but lemme ask you this: if you're heading out into the woods with moose and bears, is 9mm your first choice? How about in summer in gym shorts? You really must enjoy hauling a 24oz pistol around when you could have a smaller one that weighs half as much.

I sometimes pocket carry my G42, it's definitely nice for pocket carry. Still too heavy for gym shorts though, so it's really just for if I'm feeling lazy.

But since I got the G43X I rarely carry the G42 - yeah I can't put it in a pocket but 10 rounds 9mm vs 6 rounds .380 is night and day.

My problem is my 10 year old likes to put things in my pocket without me noticing, and retrieve it later without me noticing, he'd do great on the streets of Rome.

It sells because it's cheap and decently effective, but lemme ask you this: if you're heading out into the woods with moose and bears, is 9mm your first choice?

.002% of any realistic concern particularly in new england. 9mm works just fine on dogs and shitty humans which are likely threats vs the others you mentioned.

If you're actually hunting, or realistically likely to encounter dangerous game (Alaska etc) sure then you might want something bigger or more purpose specific.

Are there / better / cartridges than 9mm? Sure. There are a lot. There are use cases where 9mm is terrible. Is it going to matter WRT self defense most of the time? Probably not.

How about in summer in gym shorts? You really must enjoy hauling a 24oz pistol around when you could have a smaller one that weighs half as much.

I don't carry a gun at the gym. 🤣 but otherwise, basically don't give a shit. I used to carry a G19 or similar gun all summer, every summer. I had an LCP but barely used it. Now its probably a 43x 98% of the time.

If i really needed to be a fag about summer carry id buy an LCP2. But I don't because i know it will safe rot like every other tiny gun ive owned.

Last edited:
Meh. Been done better before...
The USC is not really better, unless you want a very costly conversion and even if you don't, the 10rd mags are difficult to come by and expensive.

Name one 9mm the size of the pocket .380's like the LCP.
Kahr PM9 is almost there, but not quite. I just wish that Kahr came out with a PM9 II (or 2.0, or whatever) that does for the PM9 what the LCP Max did for the LCP & LCP II. Namely, bring capacity up to 10 rounds in almost the identical size grip, improve the trigger, and improve the stock sights. Imagine that. It is already better than the 365 size wise, and can overlook other differences except capacity.

Kahr PM9 is almost there, but not quite. I just wish that Kahr came out with a PM9 II (or 2.0, or whatever) that does for the PM9 what the LCP Max did for the LCP & LCP II. Namely, bring capacity up to 10 rounds in almost the identical size grip, improve the trigger, and improve the stock sights. Imagine that. It is already better than the 365 size wise, and can overlook other differences except capacity.
We've been over this before, you can't get there from here. 🤣

Right. You just don't get it. Like I said, Ruger did it with the LCP II to LCP Max.

See the picture here: Ruger LCP II vs Ruger LCP MAX size comparison | Handgun Hero

View attachment 844628

It has nothing to do with the power of the cartridge, only the width of the handle to accommodate a bigger mag with more rounds. The rest of the gun is the same.
It has a lot to do with the cartridge if you wanted to do what you want to do with the PM 9 you're going to end up with a really weird looking gun. Not to mention the slide mass/travel is on the precipice/verge of not working correctly in the PM9 as it is. Throw a DS mag into the mix and things get complicated.

Kahr would be better off just building a whole new (ever so slightly larger) gun that is a more realistic design. The outcome would be an infinitely better product.

Back
Top Bottom