Zero Hour turns in pipe bomb builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point I'm making is if you do it properly a bomb is just as safe as a round.
You still need to open a jar/jug of powder and so do I. You use your rounds in to a berm, I use my bomb in an empty open field. You get enjoyment from shooting a tight group, I get enjoyment out of making a 100ft mushroom cloud. [smile]

Environmental air pollution! I'd have to turn you in!

[smile]

Regarding the EB man being drunk.

I read where the guy self-reported being drunk. Was he just "talking big" or did I miss where there seems to be clear evidence that he ever was drunk?

I've read in this thread that he drove to the gun shop with his daughter while drunk. I've read on this thread that it is known that makes and uses explosives while drunk.

Is any of this true?

I've read in this thread that he drove to the gun shop with his daughter while drunk. I've read on this thread that it is known that makes and uses explosives while drunk.

Is any of this true?

I saw that, too. It's one hell of an accusation.

How far do you want to carry this obey all the laws crap? This country was founded on breaking laws. If the common sense patriots who fought for, died for, and laid down a Constitution for this country had lived by the " obey all the laws even if you don't like them" creed that seems to infect a great many people in this country today - then we wouldn't even be living in this country - we would be living in a territory of the English empire.

Your analysis is sadly lacking in substance and motive. The colonists did not found this country merely on breaking laws. They were breaking the laws (and committing the acts they did) with a specific purpose in mind. Up until the early 1770's, most all of those who were protesting still thought that they could reconcile with the crown. Their actions were designed to change laws and allow the colonies the same consideration that people living in England had.

Just as the creed to
" obey all the laws even if you don't like them"
is absurd, your position appears to be just as absurd in the opposite direction.

As he has been building bombs for years without any sign the DA was going to prosecute, they should be estopped from doing so now. He relied on the police's unwillingness to arrest him throughout the years and, as such, assumed what he was doing was all but condoned by the police and the local DA.

Maybe that is where his lawyer is going.
Ahhh, ya OK.
I stand by my ding-dong comment.

they are also ready to use and stored with toys in a garage...

Do we know that?

Something was stored in the garage. Was there even one that was ready to use?

As an aside (like this thread needs one), there are laws against "hoax bomb".

There were people who made things that looked like bombs and used them to disrupt. I've never been sure if all we needed was different degrees of disturbing the peace, or making attempted bombing to include fake bombs (like robbing with a toy gun is treated as if a real gun).

Nevertheless, when an actual hoax is perpetrated with a fake bomb, I do know what a hoax bomb is.

But, if someone makes something that only looks like a pvc bomb, but never have any intention of removing from a shelf in the den (perhaps like a dewat grenade), I wonder if someone reported it, a warrant obtained, etc, would. that person be charge with the "hoax bomb" crime?

Read the first thread if you have any question's about his drinking and making boom's

Do you mean the "the first [part of this] thead" or is there another thread on this topic that I missed.

If you mean the hearsay that was reported in the article, that is not enough for me to know the answer to my questions.

And as this thread is over 400 posts long, any references ought to give a post# or url.

Guys...there is no way I am going to read this entire thread.

I know Jim. While I would always hesitate to turn anyone in for breaking oppressive laws which restrict our freedoms, Jim must have felt that this was an exceptional situation. I will give Jim the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Guys...there is no way I am going to read this entire thread.

I know Jim. While I would always hesitate to turn anyone in for breaking oppressive laws which restrict our freedoms, Jim must have felt that this was an exceptional situation. I will give Jim the benefit of the doubt on this one.

My biggest hold-up is WHY?

Did he feel he was a danger to himself and others? If so, then did he sell him guns/ammo/supplies? If not, he still knew he was a gun owner. Why didn't he turn him in 3 weeks ago, before he even saw the pipe bombs?

Do we know that?

Something was stored in the garage. Was there even one that was ready to use?

seems they were ready to use:

Frank Middleton, the Plymouth assistant district attorney, said most of the bombs were made of PVC pipe, stuffed with black powder and equipped with a fuse. Some were made out of metal pipes, he said.

After posting, I went to the BGlobe and saw the updated article which you've quted.

Frank Middleton, the Plymouth assistant district attorney, said most of the bombs were made of PVC pipe, stuffed with black powder and equipped with a fuse. Some were made out of metal pipes, he said.

Even before seeing that you posted it, I was going to post it to make this comment.

I've seen many authorities (Chiefs, DAs etc) quoted in the paper as knowing -- and they didn't have a clue. Typically stuff like "recovered an AK-47" that later turns out to be an SKS.

What I take away, is that the only chemical involved is black powder. And that some was found in some PVC.

As everything has been blown up now, the only evidence that exists is pictures. I have no reason to believe that the pictures have made it to the DA yet. He's heard about it, is all we know for sure.

For instance, say officer1 says, "there are fuse holes". After being passed along through 5 intermediarries, the DA gets the message that they were fused.

So, what size PVC? To some extent, knowing size could imply intent. If they are of the smallest diameter, and only 4 inches long -- he was making fireworks.

If it was the two inch diameter and 18 inches long, everyone wonders what the heck he was thinking.

With one pvc firework, any metal pipe left over from a plumbing job, is now a metal pipe bomb for the press.

I wonder how many pounds total black powder> Did ZHA sell the bp? Was there any bp still in original containers?

i suppose it is harmless that this guy is making bombs, since he hasn't yet blown anyone up- however-

they are also ready to use and stored with toys in a garage...

i can't remember ever getting drunk, loading our guns storing them in a garage next to children's toys.

i would expect to be arrested if we were that negligent.

this guy deserves a flogging. what an a$$hat.

That is because you live in a state with strict storage laws. Here in NH there aren't any "safe storage" laws. However if you don't take any precautions and your gun is used by a child, or to commit a crime you can be charged. You can keep your gun of the front porch if you so desire, and as long as no harm becomes of it you are not breaking any laws. Welcome to the land of the free gentleman.

That being said, even though I live in NH I have children and always make sure my guns are properly stored so as my kids can not access them. I do it to protect my children, not because the law tells me I have to. That plain and simply is the way it should be. I am and should be the one who decides how to best keep my children safe, not .gov

I agree with just about everything Derek has said in this thread. If a law abiding citizen likes to blow shit up without harming anyone else or the property of anyone else they should be allowed to do so. I don't personally make or produce bombs of any type, but just because I don't doesn't mean that someone who wishes to do so shouldn't be able to.

while i agree with him being able to blow them in his yard, etc... provided that the person is responsible

i do not agree with his half-a$$ed storage methods, esp the accessibility to children

if it is also true that he was often drunk while driving with his kids and making bombs, then he deserves to be punished in my opinion

if i were to read about some drunk guy playing with his guns i would feel the same way- not because i believe in restricting laws regarding guns, but because i believe that we don;t need more idiots giving this state any more reason to do so.

this guy was a headline in the making from what it sounds like- and more negative press will not help gun owners or people who like to blow shite up whatsoever.

jmo

Certainly more than 20, unless you had help.

Well, definitely under 50. And we do know that someone else was going around and doing pretty much the same thing, but the rep screen here only shows the last 5 so mine probably buried his, if in fact there was another.

I don't know if I have the time to make it all the way through this thread, so I might be redundant here. If this point has already been made, sorry.

Many threads on this forum mock the media with its inaccuracy on reporting gun events.

I assume that a media report of a "pipe bomb" is as close to truth as when I see a report of an "assault weapon".

If the guy had materials to make some fireworks, the media would report it as pipe bombs, and amzingly to me, this forum adopted the "pipe bomb" formulation, and some have extended it to IEDs -- just to make sure we knew this was super illegal.

--

The TV showed, from a helicopter, the destruction of some of the devices. From what I saw, it looked like they were blowing up some dud inch-and-a-halfers. I'm sure the squad was having fun getting to do their stuff, but it looked more of a show than a threat.

We don't even know what the explosive was, or if it needed to be mixed whether only the pre-cursors were on site. The guy might have three dozen pieces of 1/2 PVC and some chemicals. I know if that's all it was, the media (and the police) would be reporting it as pipe bombs anyway.

jcr, considering that his lawyer called them pipe bombs in the interviews, I don't think there's any doubt as to what they were.

Well, definitely under 50. And we do know that someone else was going around and doing pretty much the same thing, but the rep screen here only shows the last 5 so mine probably buried his, if in fact there was another.

Regardless, you acted like a childish fool who provided a perfect example of why people should be distrustful of people with power. Some people can't be trusted to act responsibly, and you never know who those people are.

The negative rep topic has been beaten enough.

Thanks guys! Last night I night I had a dream I was in my car with my wife throwing out grenades and watching them blow up. I distinctly remember I was freaked out that someone would come by and try to pick it up before it went off. My mind in f***ed and so is this thread.

[rofl]

Just to add to this thread. I admit, I do occasionally get "drunk and make booms."

Its called a stink bomb which is made from excess gas. Clear out a room faster then tear gas from a swat team.

[rofl][rofl]

Regarding the EB man being drunk.

I read where the guy self-reported being drunk. Was he just "talking big" or did I miss where there seems to be clear evidence that he ever was drunk?

Is any of this true?

I believe it was madmarc0 who posted that. That's coming from a forum member who has seen this guy and his kid before because he works at ZHA. I'm inclined to take his word for it.

Regardless, you acted like a childish fool who provided a perfect example of why people should be distrustful of people with power. Some people can't be trusted to act responsibly, and you never know who those people are.

The negative rep topic has been beaten enough.

To the extent that a neg rep = power, sure.

Martlett, I don't understand why you are coming down so hard on something you obviously know nothing about in this instance. Jim was very torn about doing what he did but was kind of forced into it by an officer when he asked his advice on what the officer would do in a similar situation.
This guy (ambrose) was acustomer of the shop and we actually kinda liked him, BUT, when he started to act irratiaticly and then the last straw was when he came in the shop drunk and was dragging his 6 year old daughter!

If you wan't to keep your mouth shut about such things that's your right but good citizens will and should do the right thing. personally, a lot of folks know me on here and know how I feel about cops and such, I think I would do the same thing given the same circumstances.

If you choose not to do business with us and want to try and make us sound like we did then that's fine, we would not want to do business with such a narrow minded person.

Jim is my friend and I am defending him, make no bones about it. I am not going to sit by and see narrow minded folks bash him as if he ratted out a law abiding citizen for purchasing a legal or ANY gun. We are NOT that kind of shop.

If you want to know the story, call the shop and I would be happy to tell you the truth, but don't bash the guy for doing what he felt was right even if you would have let this guy possibly hurt his family.

^^ read the above for those who don't want to wade through numerous posts. The only person on this board who has had dealings with both parties.

It's indicative of character, thus transferable.

Ah. Then since someone gets nutty drunk and does stupid shit, which I'm sure you and probably 90% of this forum has done at some point, it means that you're just as likely to do stupid shit when you have your guns on you too.

Same kind of power, translating up. The power to get trashed, and then the power to act irresponsibly with firearms or bombs. Hey, that translates perfectly to this entire story. Maybe you're right, maybe we shouldn't trust you or this guy or Jim Sheppard or anyone with firearms, because doing something dumb automatically means that you'll do something dumb every time you act, regardless of the circumstance or scale.

Or are you applying your brand of human responsibility and character differently to different cases?

^^ read the above for those who don't want to wade through numerous posts. The only person on this board who has had dealings with both parties.

Again, if he was such a danger to himself and others, why didn't they have a problem doing business with him? Why didn't they call the cops when he was drunk in their shop dragging his daughter around?

Sounds like they weren't that worried.

Ah. Then since someone gets nutty drunk and does stupid shit, which I'm sure you and probably 90% of this forum has done at some point, it means that you're just as likely to do stupid shit when you have your guns on you too.

Same kind of power, translating up. The power to get trashed, and then the power to act irresponsibly with firearms or bombs. Hey, that translates perfectly to this entire story. Maybe you're right, maybe we shouldn't trust you or this guy or Jim Sheppard or anyone with firearms, because doing something dumb automatically means that you'll do something dumb every time you act, regardless of the circumstance or scale.

Odd. You just laid out my argument. Strange how it fits when you want it to.

where is this going? aside from whether being reported was right or wrong...

getting trashed and not having the ability to stay away from loaded guns and/or bombs while trashed is completely irresponsible...

just like it is wrong to hop into a car stinking drunk- even if you don't happen to kill anyone that particular time. it doesn't make it right.

i expect a neg rep point shortly btw [laugh]

Again, if he was such a danger to himself and others, why didn't they have a problem doing business with him? Why didn't they call the cops when he was drunk in their shop dragging his daughter around?

Sounds like they weren't that worried.

Well, we'll have to wait for madmarc0 to return to this thread, should he want to. Given that there's a criminal case pending, I think he'll probably be staying quiet. Why not watch how this case proceeds and find out particulars? At this point, we only know what he's told us and what has been shown in the news. Anything else from here on out is just pure speculation.

Odd. You just laid out my argument. Strange how it fits when you want it to.

Well, this guy abused his power to drink and acted irresponsibly with alcohol, so by your argument Jim Sheppard extrapolated and figured that he would act irresponsibly with the pipe bombs as well. Therefore, Jim Sheppard did the right thing, by your theory, in calling it in. Yet you still want to boycott ZHA. I really don't get how you can think that, in THIS case, Sheppard acted wrongly. It would be a different story if it were a clearly victimless case, but seeing what Sheppard knew about the guy (a drunk, dragging his kid around, bragging about making booms), is it really that much of a stretch, by your theory about character again, for Jim to transfer that to irresponsibility with the homemade explosives that the guy made? I don't think it is.

The issue of a true victimless crime is an entirely different issue than the one at hand.

where is this going? aside from whether being reported was right or wrong...

getting trashed and not having the ability to stay away from loaded guns and/or bombs while trashed is completely irresponsible...

just like it is wrong to hop into a car stinking drunk- even if you don't happen to kill anyone that particular time. it doesn't make it right.

i expect a neg rep point shortly btw [laugh]

Actually, I was using his argument about how my neg rep spree means I'm foolishly childish and abusive of all types of power to illustrate his argument in this case. I happen to be on your side, and in fact I don't drink. Haven't touched a drop in over a year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom