Zero Hour turns in pipe bomb builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... I just got back from a fine day of shooting my "bombs"... I mean "cartridges" which I guess are the same in some peoples' minds.

One thing to put to thought. If you believe (not as I do) that individuals have the right to make bombs, say "you" do- and say by some strange misfortune you blow both your hands off and can't work. Who supports your kids and family? Who pays the insurance bills if you weren't insured of improperly insured? Answer: We all do. I have a problem with this.

Now you might want to say that the same could happen with a gun or driving your car recklessly. Yes... but society has decided that those are "legal" when properly licensed? And as such I don't want to pay anyones bill for disobeying the law. If you want to blow up things get a license and proper training.

I guess this is where pure libertarian views bother me.. because in this world anyway... society bears a big chunk of the "burden". Well we could be harsh and say... you can do what you want... but if you blow your hands off- too bad. Deal with it, bleed to death, but don't try to use my tax dollar to fix it, or pump up insurance premiums for your stupid acts.

See... it's really NOT about just what every individual wants in our society... unless they are REALLY willing to be "individuals".

Of course this is just an example of my viewpoints.

This is a classic liberal argument used for taking away people's rights. Pretty depressing stuff to read [sad]

This is a classic liberal argument used for taking away people's rights. Pretty depressing stuff to read [sad]

Yeah... I'm a liberal, right. Let me remind you of something.... we're f***ing talking about PIPE BOMBS NOT skate boards. I suppose in your world we don't need rules or laws for anything huh? Yeah... that would be just pissa.

Hate is a strong word that I won't use. But yes, I do have a slight problem to some degree with these things. There are varying degrees. Going 5mph over the speed limit on the highway is not the same as going 100 mph. Being 350lbs and a smoker is not the same as being 200lbs. I think people should have a right to eat and digest most things... not illegal drugs though for similar reasons. People should take care of themselves and their children but often don't. Society bears the brunt of the burden for the "costs".

So since we've established the legality of their actions doesn't dictate your willingness, or unwillingness, to support someone, what does?

You don't want him using pipe bombs because you're afraid he'll hurt himself and be a burden to you, yet you support smoking and fatties, but not real fatty smokers even though that's legal too. You sound a little confused.

I trust YOU are. I think most aren't and will "expect" the government (us) to step in to help.

Of course they aren't. It's easier to have others do it for you. 200 years ago drunks and bums died on the street. Now, we support them, let them breed, then support MORE of them. What a great idea.

Yeah... I'm a liberal, right. Let me remind you of something.... we're f***ing talking about PIPE BOMBS NOT skate boards. I suppose in your world we don't need rules or laws for anything huh? Yeah... that would be just pissa.

You sound like one. Only they say "we're talking GUNS not butter knives." The argument is the same.

Hmmmm..Sad to see that peoples opinions are a "waste of time".... [rolleyes]

No MassMark, respectfully, your opinion and the others are valued. Its that your not going to change mine. I will formulate my final opinion when I walk into Zero Arms and ask what happened.

I may even say to Mr. Sheppard "I get drunk and make booms." It will be embarrassing when the police get to my house to find only legal firearms and my nasty "summer ale brew" beer farts.

Yes there is a line to be drawn.

I don't use insurance premiums as a rationale for law making. I think government waste, not payouts to handless idiots, is the main reason our taxes our so out of control.

Which could you do more damge with: a homemade PIPE BOMB or an M1A with a handful of mags and a case of .308s?

So since we've established the legality of their actions doesn't dictate your willingness, or unwillingness, to support someone, what does?

You don't want him using pipe bombs because you're afraid he'll hurt himself and be a burden to you, yet you support smoking and fatties, but not real fatty smokers even though that's legal too. You sound a little confused.

Of course they aren't. It's easier to have others do it for you. 200 years ago drunks and bums died on the street. Now, we support them, let them breed, then support MORE of them. What a great idea.

No, I'm not confused actually. I simply presented a couple of my points and gave you other perspectives to consider. I guess I should just go drink some more liberal Koolaid.

a homemade PIPE BOMB or an M1A with a handful of mags and a case of .308s

That is a somewhat subjective question. Either one could be totally harmless or extremely damaging depending on how and where they are used.

I don't use insurance premiums as a rationale for law making.

I don't believe I said it is THE rationale I use.... I said I had a problem with this... just an example. I'd love to sit around shoot the crap with you and Martlet about this stuff someday... it's interesting. But I just can't keep up with the typing part.

No, I'm not confused actually. I simply presented a couple of my points and gave you other perspectives to consider. I guess I should just go drink some more liberal Koolaid.

As I pointed out, your points don't really make sense to me. I can't find a basis for them. It's almost as though you accept or oppose behavior based on your personal feelings.

Bottom line, people saying Jim should have done nothing are crazy and harbor anarchist-like tendencies.

How would your conscience feel if you knew the info Jim did, said nothing and then the dude blew up his house and killed his kids in the process? My guess, like a douchebag. Again, that is only a guess but any feelings that are different are categorized in my first sentence. [pot]

I've read all 497 posts, and darned if I'm not getting a stong feeling of deja vu. Have we already run through all the pros and cons of bomb making and reporting illegal activity? Or is there a new perspective about to burst forth onto the scene?

Hope springs eternal ...

How may folks did Mr. Ambrose hurt with his hobby anyway

I would say the difference is that the pipe bombs are not legal in this state and most likely all others where a M1A and 7.62 ammo is legal in all fifty states. The potential for damage on almost any item depends of the intent of the user. I'm sure we could all come up with thousands of items that could be just as deadly. What I would wonder is, what is the volatility of a pipe bomb. Possibly a static charge could set it off. Who knows. I'm certainly not an expert on the subject.

Wow...this topics up to fifty pages. Must be a new record......

Last edited:
So, before I go back to my charts, (joy), can I establish the following?

There's little doubt that Mr. Ambrose made some poor choices. Obviously, alcohol and explosives are a poor mix, (as are alcohol and guns, chainsaws, cars, javelins etc.). It's also clear that this has been a hobby of his for quite some time - most of his life. There has been nothing established that Mr. Ambrose was in any way making threats toward his family, himself or the citizenry at large. He was essentially a frequent flyer on the alcohol plane, liked to make pipe bombs, ride an ATV, live his life, run his business, shoot his guns, (apparently even at himself) and also was fond of spending his money at Zero Hour Arms. In fact, it would seem he had some sort of friendship - even if it was purely fiscal.

There's also little doubt that Mr. Sheppard felt comfortable enough with the quirky and drunk Mr. Ambrose to not only do business with him, but to enter into an outside business arrangement and go over to Mikes home. It's also pretty obvious that Jim felt it was his responsibility to pull the pin on the grenade which has essentially ruined this guys life....

Again, I do not blame Jim Sheppard - not one bit, for the predicament that Mr. Ambrose is in right now. Ultimately, Mikes behavior and choice of hobby are what led him to the spot he's in. What does concern me though is the possible lack of thought on the part of Jim as to alternatives available other than dropping a dime...

PS/EDIT: Nice point bostonasphalt - I am not one who will say Jim should have done nothing , but I think the "something" he did may have been a not to well thought out choice...

Bottom line, people saying Jim should have done nothing are crazy and harbor anarchist-like tendencies.

How would your conscience feel if you knew the info Jim did, said nothing and then the dude blew up his house and killed his kids in the process? My guess, like a douchebag. Again, that is only a guess but any feelings that are different are categorized in my first sentence. [pot]

Jim felt ok with him driving his 6 year old around drunk, buying firearms and ammo, giving the guy money, but not owning a pipe bomb?

Where's the disconnect?

Plus one rep point for you!

Jim felt ok with him driving his 6 year old around drunk, buying firearms and ammo, giving the guy money, but not owning a pipe bomb?

Where's the disconnect?

I'm not sure we can make those assumptions .............

Perhaps those are questions that you should ask him directly.

^^ read the above for those who don't want to wade through numerous posts. The only person on this board who has had dealings with both parties.

Ya,he wouldn't have a biased opinion now would he ? [rolleyes]

You were born to live forever in MA,please,don't ever leave this state.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we can make those assumptions .............

Perhaps those are questions that you should ask him directly.

Why can't we make those assumptions?

He saw him drunk with his year old......yet didn't call the cops.
He did business with him in his shop.
He DROVE TO HIS HOUSE to do side business with him.

What part am I missing?

ETA: Why do you sign your + rep points but not your negative? What dangerous behavior am I supporting? Are you nuts? You sound like a liberal. That's the same argument they use for taking your guns.

Last edited:
Why can't we make those assumptions?

He saw him drunk with his year old......yet didn't call the cops.
He did business with him in his shop.
He DROVE TO HIS HOUSE to do side business with him.

What part am I missing?

ETA: Why do you sign your + rep points but not your negative? What dangerous behavior am I supporting? Are you nuts? You sound like a liberal. That's the same argument they use for taking your guns.

The part where you assume he was O.K. with it. Not to mention, none of us really know the time line involved here.

as far as rep points go ............. I have signed every one I've ever given, (I think 3 or 4 to date) and they have all been positive.

Let's see - what other actions short of dropping a dime could Jim have taken:

1. Talked directly to Mike about his behavior with his child and concerns over his alcohol and subsequent bomb use.
  2. Talked directly to Mikes wife about his concern for their safety and her husbands use of alcohol and explosives
  3. Sought out Mikes friends and relatives and hopefully persuade them to intervene

What Jim chose to do was play protectorate of the masses and inform the police on someone whom he at the very least had a casual friendship with. If Jim feels he's saved the lives of the innocent by his actions then I guess he'll have to live with the fact that he didn't quite save the life of Mike Ambrose. For all intents and purposes - his life is ruined - it's over Johnny. Business = gone. Reputation = gone. Freedom = gone. Wife = ? Family = ?

You can bet your bottom dollar that the DA will have a field day with this and the press? Forget about it. "Another whacked out gun owner in Massachusetts". Think this won't have repercussions for all of us? Wake the hell up - it's one more nail in our collective coffins. Mike Ambrose screwed up - no question, but now he's all done - over. Would the alternatives have given fruit? Maybe - maybe not. One thing is for sure however - we will never ever know, because Jim Sheppard didn't take a breath and take the time to think about any...

For what it's worth, I don't hold Jim in the same regard as another infamous FFL. In all likelihood, Jim is a great guy who made some poor choices. Unfortunately, we're not talking about new Glocks or mailorder ammo - we're talking about a guy who just had his entire life turned upside down and will likely be doing serious time....For what?

I would like to say that Martlet has logic in his responce,but I can't.Anyone who believes that making pipe bombs has any legit reason is flawed.There is no doubt in my mind that some kind of payback was in his mind.

I would like to say that Martlet has logic in his responce,but I can't.Anyone who believes that making pipe bombs has any legit reason is flawed.There is no doubt in my mind that some kind of payback was in his mind.

So, you're saying Derek is a terrorist and a liar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom