Wife won't let guns in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have this problem, but many of my friends that I take shooting do. They want to take up a shooting sport, but the wife or GF puts the foot down.

This has prevented them from going ahead and getting a license. Is anyone out there in this situation or know someone that is? If so what did you\they come up with for their off site storage solution?

Dude! Several friends have this issue?! Free beer and ammo for life for you then. Buy the biggest safe you can afford and rent space to them for a low introductory price. When they are hooked, triple the price. They are already somebody's bitch so why not yours too.

Yes, I know there's been some thread drift from the original question of the OP...oh well.

I was on the flip side as well. When my (now wife) girlfriend and I decided to move in together, I told her that I wasn't getting rid of any of my firearms and that she would have to learn how to operate each of them although she never had to shoot one.

I think this is an excellant idea. You don't have to like guns, but if they're going to be that close to you in your life, they may need to handle them (if they come across one, you have to go to the hospital while unconcious, etc.), and they'll need to do it safely.

Am I a half-assed gun owner who doesn't care enough about his "rights"? Maybe. Would I put gun ownership above my marriage? No.

If she said no to guns in the house I'd hypothetically (getting sick of typing that...) have negotiated for some other hobby. Maybe a motorcycle or something.

See that's the thing. I have fun with guns, I genuinely like them, they're cool, but they're not a hobby for me, they protect life. I'm single and guns are already a part of my life, so while I won't be setting any ultimatums, I can say for sure that the guns aren't negotiable. It must be quite difficult for someone already in a relationship with someone who doesn't like guns to try to bring them into their life; thankfully I won't have that issue, we can discuss it up front.

Also remember that if you allow yourself to be whipped to that degree, essentially you are giving permission to her to destroy you as a person. This kind of thing is an express lane to personal hell. Every person I know that does this eventually ends up being a miserable bastard and will probably end up divorced anyways.

+1 to that.

Everyone is saying this, but I've never heard of a club that will do this.

Although I've never been there, from what "ve read on NES the Andover gun club is the only club in the state with a "club license."

MGL 140-131(a) says in part:

The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties.

No large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device shall be removed from the premises except for the purposes of: (i) transferring such firearm or feeding device to a licensed dealer; (ii) transporting such firearm or feeding device to a licensed gunsmith for repair; (iii) target, trap or skeet shooting on the premises of another club incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth and for transporting thereto; (iv) attending an exhibition or educational project or event that is sponsored by, conducted under the supervision of or approved by a public law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that promotes proficiency in or education about semiautomatic weapons and for transporting thereto and therefrom; (v) hunting in accordance with the provisions of chapter 131; or (vi) surrendering such firearm or feeding device under the provisions of section 129D. Any large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device kept on the premises of a lawfully incorporated shooting club shall, when not in use, be secured in a locked container, and shall be unloaded during any lawful transport. The clerk or other corporate officer of such club shall annually file a report with the colonel of state police and the executive director of the criminal history systems board listing all large capacity weapons and large capacity feeding devices owned or possessed under such license. The colonel of state police or his designee, shall have the right to inspect all firearms owned or possessed by such club upon request during regular business hours and said colonel may revoke or suspend a club license for a violation of any provision of this chapter or chapter 269 relative to the ownership, use or possession of large capacity weapons or large capacity feeding devices.

Having a license like that kind of implies that they'd allow some kind of onsite storage, although I don't know to what extent they'd open it up to store personal firearms.

Does anybody still keep guns in bank safe deposit boxes any more? That could be one solution to your friend's problem.

That's not a very good idea nowadays, even if the bank allows it. If the bank fails and the FDIC takes over, they'll seize everything while they figure things out. A lot of banks are failing recently.

She still hates when I carry and asks why and if I think I will need it for the mall.

The Trolley Square mall shooting is one event that comes to mind, the Tacoma mall shooting is another that happened right in the state you live in.

"Just because you're married/in a relationship doesn't mean your partner get's to control your life...Most women I know, including my wife, would flip the f*** out if a guy "put his foot down" on something she wanted to do or buy or whatever."

This. One person doesn't get to unilaterally set any of the rules for a household. If her attitude is "they are dangerous" then when you're removing all the scissors and knives be sure to remove any perfume, hairspray, nail polish remover, cleaning products because they're all quite flammable and could endanger your home and safety too.

My wife said 'no you're not!' when I said I was getting a firearm... Now she says 'you're carrying, right' when we are out. Funny how things change.

"Wife won't let guns in the house"

Just one of the many things WRONG in America today........more so, the so called MAN who accepts and abides by such a dictate from his wife.

Yeah, that's not a problem at all in countries like Pakistan.

I find that almost all women that are opposed to guns are not educated. Tell them to get the women in a class, it is the unknown that scares them. There are always a few irrational women in the bunch though..

Break into your own house when nobody is there - wreck the place and "steal" some stuff. Sacfrafice the goldfish and write "satan" on the walls with the blood (it will have to be small 'cause the fish dont have much blood in them). Then say to her - "wow ... I'm glad that we were not here when that happened or who knows what might have happend". Hire some friends to make strange noises outside your house at night for the next week or so. I would venture to guess the issue will then resolve itself. I'm kidding of course ... about the goldfish ... use ketchup..

Break into your own house when nobody is there - wreck the place and "steal" some stuff. Sacfrafice the goldfish and write "satan" on the walls with the blood (it will have to be small 'cause the fish dont have much blood in them). Then say to her - "wow ... I'm glad that we were not here when that happened or who knows what might have happend". Hire some friends to make strange noises outside your house at night for the next week or so. I would venture to guess the issue will then resolve itself. I'm kidding of course ... about the goldfish ... use ketchup..

I llike your style![smile]

If she said no to guns in the house I'd hypothetically (getting sick of typing that...) have negotiated for some other hobby. Maybe a motorcycle or something.

I explained to her when we got married that I had guns and a bike before her and I was going to keep on having them. Seems to work so far.

[laugh2][laugh][rofl] I don't know what's funnier, this or your avatar.

[laugh2][laugh][rofl] I don't know what's funnier, this or your avatar.

Man Blitz - you love that avatar! I might make that into a poster for you for your living room - LOL! I got another one kind of like that but in pink - but I like this one too much to change it....because its so true...

Tell the wife that you, as a man, have decided that in order to protect her and the kids in this day and age, you needed to buy the gun(s). Case closed!

I HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH MY GF. SHE WAS FINE WITH IT WHEN WE DIDN'T LIVE TOGETHER. BUT 2 MONTHS AFTER WE MOVED IN SHE SAID SHE DIDN'T WANT GUNS IN THE HOUSE. I REMINDED HER WERE THE DOOR WAS AND HOW TO USE IT. THAT WAS 10 YEARS AGO AND SHE IS STILL HERE. ALTHOUGH I DON'T THINK THAT WOULD WORK WITH ALL SITUATIONS.

Man Blitz - you love that avatar! I might make that into a poster for you for your living room - LOL! I got another one kind of like that but in pink - but I like this one too much to change it....because its so true...

That would be awesome thanks. [smile]

To the OP, Butt Out. It's not your business, no good will come from it.

I really hope she doesn't see this thread.

If any friend of mine posted this on the internet He/She would have a serious issue with me. [hmmm]

But then again my friends don't do sh!# like this. [thinking]

So I reached out to the friends I wrote this post for. One wife did a 180 after seeing video of him shooting. I think that some of the wives were there helped. The second friend said that he likes pistol shooting with me but not enough to really own a gun. But he states that my talk about Trap shooting has got him interested in going with me. If he likes it he'll get a shotti and the wife be damed.

The third guy is still up in the air. The wife's two sisters both married 2A guys and has been shooting and it seems to agree with her. She's still got her heels dug in over guns in the house, but I think he's off to a good start in changing his mind.

So I reached out to the friends I wrote this post for. One wife did a 180 after seeing video of him shooting. I think that some of the wives were there helped. The second friend said that he likes pistol shooting with me but not enough to really own a gun. But he states that my talk about Trap shooting has got him interested in going with me. If he likes it he'll get a shotti and the wife be damed.

The third guy is still up in the air. The wife's two sisters both married 2A guys and has been shooting and it seems to agree with her. She's still got her heels dug in over guns in the house, but I think he's off to a good start in changing his mind.

Your on the right track....you'll get a lot of macho responses but if you want to do it amicably...let the resistant wife meet and talk to some other wives who have had guns in the house. Remember, they are all sisters, and they'll listen to each other much more than they will listen to you. Sometimes they just need a comfort level and some feeling that they have discussion in the decison.

If she still won't allow it......I recommend the macho responses posted before.

Last edited:
That's not a very good idea nowadays, even if the bank allows it. If the bank fails and the FDIC takes over, they'll seize everything while they figure things out. A lot of banks are failing recently.

An FDIC takeover does not involve opening the safe deposit boxes, the leases for which remain in effect and which are still accessable by the original boxholder.

This problem can be easily prevented by just refusing to be in a relationship with people from Mass. If you take the B Green Line to Boston, there is an ocean of out-of-state women that are single. Look for one from non-anti states. Also, make sure when you are on a date that they don't give money to the bums when you pass by them. If they pass that test, there is a high probability that you found a non-moon bat. But be careful of NH, because I find many girls from NH live near Manchester and are moon-bat wannabes that are for some reason ashamed of growing up in freedom.

Last edited:
Although I've never been there, from what "ve read on NES the Andover gun club is the only club in the state with a "club license."

MGL 140-131(a) says in part:

Having a license like that kind of implies that they'd allow some kind of onsite storage, although I don't know to what extent they'd open it up to store personal firearms.

The ASC does have a club license. I took my Basic Pistol Course there and the instructor said they applied for it on a lark and were the first and most likely the last club to do so. One of the side effects is that no one (other than LEO) can use human like silhouette in target shooting. ASC does not allow for members to store their guns. Would be nice if they did but I'd guess it's an insurance and maybe even a security risk, i.e. would it invite break-ins?

Personally if I was with a woman and found she was that firmly against me having guns it would be a deal breaker. It's just not negotiable. If she doesn't like it that's too bad.

I find most people change their attitude with experience though. I've been slowly teaching my girlfriend safe handling of my guns. We'll be heading up the range some time in the next few weeks so that she can get more properly acquainted with them.

( Warning : Irritating Generalizations Follow )

Women are nest builders. They want the nest to be a safe place for themselves and their kids. Men are big kids that women tolerate.
Women will go either way with guns in the house : Guns make the nest dangerous. or - Guns make the nest safer.

20 years ago , while still dating , my wife-to-be bought me a Mossberg 500 for Valentines Day.

If the women in your friends lives don't want them in the house they are going to have an uphill battle for a long time.

My girlfriend was the one who encouraged me to get my permit. I mentioned I was thinking about it, and she was 100% behind it.

Andy

I went shooting with my girlfriend and her Dad. We had a great time. We've been married now almost 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom