Who would buy a TOMMY GUN??

when my father was instructing at the Long Island BPD range in the 60s, BPD had a half dozen of them. a lieutenant wanted to fire one, so they brought one down from the armory.
Dad is telling the Lt to hold down on it with his left hand, as it'll rise to the upper right quickly on full auto. Lt is like ' yeah, yeah, I know what I'm doing".. BBBBRRRRRRRRRR ! sends rounds past the backstop and right over the hill . Fire dept from the training center shows up 15 minutes later. the guy peppered their training building.

when my father was instructing at the Long Island BPD range in the 60s, BPD had a half dozen of them. a lieutenant wanted to fire one, so they brought one down from the armory.
Dad is telling the Lt to hold down on it with his left hand, as it'll rise to the upper right quickly on full auto. Lt is like ' yeah, yeah, I know what I'm doing".. BBBBRRRRRRRRRR ! sends rounds past the backstop and right over the hill . Fire dept from the training center shows up 15 minutes later. the guy peppered their training building.
Quite common with newbies. I stress that the hand on the forward grip is used to DIRECT line of fire as they would with a hi pressure fire hose. Still takes several mags, thou. Jack.

My uncle was an Army Captain in WW2, who saw front line action in Germany.
He told me he used a Thompson near the end of the war and nearly cut a German in half with it.
He said they were trained to aim for the balls and ride the recoil up.

Its a 1/2 scale gun, but for look and function its a centerfire .25.
That way it all looks to scale, stop being so literal.

RC

WELL…. Buy yourself a semi and then SBR it.
THEN…. There’s some guy selling semi to full kit on gunbroker…. Wink wink nudge nudge.

RC

That would be Maura selling those kits.

No SBR required

Last edited:
Would that be about $20k in ammo? Plus the $3500/yr for an 07 ? That's a lot of bird food :rolleyes:

Would that be about $20k in ammo? Plus the $3500/yr for an 07 ? That's a lot of bird food :rolleyes:
Well, the ammo cost, mostly reloads, was spread out over many years with a lot folks contributing to the cost. The 07 is $50/yr. The SOT is $500/yr. The rent for the FFL location is free to me. (the Mill). LOL. Plus, the gun is a post sample for $500. Also have a post M3A1 Grease Gun @ $200. Soon I'll give up the biz. and the guns will transfer tax free to Little Jack's dad who has the 07/SOT in NH. They are there now for the family to play with 'cause Jack's dad is my RP. The plan is to keep these guns in the family for generations to come. If the S doesn't HTF. With stuff like this you have to plan way ahead. Remember though, that a group of folks can split the cost of a transferrable MG. In Mass, of course, each one would need their own Green card to use it. Still affordable. No FFL or SOT needed. Go for it while you still can. Jack.

Last edited:
That kit isn’t a completely drop-in either. He didn’t machine off the front of that trigger frame to fit on a semi auto receiver.
I only know this because I have a full auto trigger frame but I’m trying to mate two a semi auto receiver so I can have the removable stock and possibly a bolt hold open device made out of the selecter lever. So I saw there’s a little machining to do right in the very front.

RC

You have an extra one of those FA frames :cool:

Let's hear back from someone that rents space at the Mill, what it costs to maintain an 07, SOT, and Green Card.
Not all towns will approve a Green Card. The town you live in has to approve the Green Card, not the rental space, Mill, town.

Last edited:
You have an extra one of those FA frames :cool:

Let's hear back from someone that rents space at the Mill, what it costs to maintain an 07, SOT, and Green Card.
Not all towns will approve a Green Card. The town you live in has to approve the Green Card, not the rental space, Mill, town.
You don't have to go to the Mill for that. Just read the laws free from the GPO. The answers are in this thread anyway. See my post #106. Jack.

Last edited:
If the SHTF:
keep the gun -
distribute the ammunition.

(Well, at least the boolits).
What I meant was when the SHTF so that post samples won't be able to change hands anymore or be banned. The security of the "regular" guns was taken care of long ago. I suppose that puts me on another "list". LOL. Jack.

No, I don't have an extra.
They pop up on Gunbroker all the time. But there are different listings under different search words.
Trigger housing, frame, 1927, 1928, smg. Sometimes you need to search through a bunch of Thompson center results to find one.
I paid somewhere around $500, but the prices are all around that. There was one listed yesterday for $900. NOPE!

RC

You don't HAVE to have a Tommy. You can have a lot of fun with a Reising or a Mac. 3 or 4 or 5 guys split the cost and you won't feel it. The bigger issue is the ammo. You can also "rent" the gun at the range to offset the ammo cost as a bennie to the owners. Best done in a free state. Jack.

Growing up in Bedford (MA), my next door neighbor had a 1927 Thompson hanging on a couple of nails driven into the wall (unsecured) of his garage for many, many years. I remember him showing me his blue MG license. I want to say it was #004 or some other insanely low single digit number. He ran a machine shop out of his garage and would leave the doors open on nice days. Often he would leave the doors open while he was off doing one thing or another, with that unsecured Thompson just hanging there. I spent many hours in his garage watching him run his machines, welding, or whatever else was going on.

He died about 17 years ago, and I often wonder what happened to that Tommy Gun. He had other guns too, but none as cool.

He also made a .22 Gatling gun. I think it was still a work-in-progress when he died. I remember him telling me about the extractors breaking while test-firing.

Last edited:
I'll stick with a Boat 🛥️ 💰 🚽

Instead of (more than current) [mg]💰 🚽

It's way more expensive fun :rolleyes:

IMG_1585a.jpg

Last edited:
Transferable Thompsons are very expensive. I haven't checked lately but last time I looked, the cheapest (West Hurley) was about 20 grand and the most expensive(Colt) was about double that. There are less expensive and more accurate alternatives but relatively speaking, they're all expensive to own and shoot. They're still fun though.

Back
Top Bottom