Need a lawyer for a will... would prefer a gun guy/2a friendly...

Rock Maple was around here. He did ours from Maine while we were still in MA. He did our NFA, will, POA and HCP.
Jeff was easy to work with. I need to update ours.

how much do they charge for such a package these days, a will, trust, the works?

We used Randy J Spencer for our mortgage and our wills. He is in the Plainville area. Very easy to deal with. I think it cost us like $400-$500 I don't really remember but that was almost a decade ago. I don't know his stance on the second amendment. I would use him again if I needed. Pretty sure he would be my first phone call if I hit the lottery big.

how much do they charge for such a package these days, a will, trust, the works?
We generally charge anywhere from $750-3000, but my office is notoriously terrible at billing.

A general "trust" is not a thing. Any lawyer who says it is and that you need some generic "trust" is generally just trying to rack up fees.

Some people do need trusts. Many do not. Others need an entirely different type of trust than what their lawyers want to do.

Often times they end up costing far more in taxes and legal fees than they save and create hassle that wouldn't otherwise exist.

It all depends on your needs. You need a lawyer who will zoom out and look at your circumstances instead of going with a cookie cutter approach.

f#ck it. no way.
:mad:[angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2][angry2]

It used to cost $1,500-2K. That was back when my girls were in diapers. One has one in diapers, so. . . . .

I recall back in 95 or so a prominent attorney group in SE Mass was charging $3K.

$7K now is a smidge high, but not out of the realm. Did you see the fees to get teh deeds changed??? Thanks Mittens! That could be 500-1K by itself at times. Add in two trusts and all the rest - I wouldn't blink at $5K and would be OK with7 depending on how competent the attorney was.

$7K now is a smidge high, but not out of the realm.
i had all that crap already prepped and printed out and somewhere in my drawer when we had a perk from work for legal services portal. just never made it to the lawyers to review. all of that is a standard template sh$t.
$3k, $7k, no way. i have other priorities for that much money.

We generally charge anywhere from $750-3000, but my office is notoriously terrible at billing.

A general "trust" is not a thing. Any lawyer who says it is and that you need some generic "trust" is generally just trying to rack up fees.

Some people do need trusts. Many do not. Others need an entirely different type of trust than what their lawyers want to do.

Often times they end up costing far more in taxes and legal fees than they save and create hassle that wouldn't otherwise exist.

It all depends on your needs. You need a lawyer who will zoom out and look at your circumstances instead of going with a cookie cutter approach.
@1911rnr

If a gun shop that is attorney owned does not satisfy your requirements for a 2A friendly attorney...

Has anyone worked with Comm2a on donating fund to them upon death?

Where should I start? I do not have a will currently. Do I even need one to do this?

Where should I start? I do not have a will currently. Do I even need one to do this?
A will and a trust. Or make them a beneficiary on a life insurance policy.

Yes. In a will you can specify $x (or y% of assets) to go to Comm2A, list their address and Fed Tax ID and you are good to go. Send Email to them for the address and tax ID.

i had all that crap already prepped and printed out and somewhere in my drawer when we had a perk from work for legal services portal. just never made it to the lawyers to review. all of that is a standard template sh$t.
$3k, $7k, no way. i have other priorities for that much money.

I seen a WHOLE LOT of self-made wills using "software" and wills and other documents drafted by non-estate-planning attorneys in my day. I'm just a stupid financial advisor. And I can flip through a client's documents and see the mistakes over and over again. Hell, I close more investment cases pointing out estate planning problems than investment problems.

Possibly the funniest estate planning situation. Funny as in strange. Not funny. Tragic.

Wife is emotionally disturbed. Like bad. Like, she cries every time we talk estate planning. Sobbing. SOBBING. Husband is a chronic alcoholic for decades. Definitely affected his brain.

So they don't show up at meetings for. . . . 5 years. Out of teh blue, they call for a meeting. Bokay???? They come in. . . to fire me because they haven't seen me in 5 years. What can you do? Argue with stupid?? NBD. I tell them I feel bad they had to come in. It could have been done over hte phone or via mail. I think HE thought this was going to be some big scene or something and he would be able to "put me in my place." ???? After 5 years of refusing to meet and being a royal PITA before that, good riddance. (He sold out at hte BOTTOM in 2008 and told me to not invest anything until he said so. 3 years later, he bitched that I should have invested it. Ummmmm. . . . . )

So I ask, "BTW - five years ago, we were working on your estate planning. Did you ever get that done?"

"F that. It is going to cost me money. But it'll SAVE my boys money. If they want to pay the $ to do it, we'll do it. If not, F them."

What a loving dad. He'd rather an attorney or two, the court AND the Commonwealth get money instead of his kids. What a colossal F he was. And he wondered why I didn't put up a fight. LOL

Moral of the story: YOU control who gets the $ - your heirs or some lawyer. (Ever noticed lawyers aren't always BIG on trusts and complex estate work? Because. . . THEY MAKE MORE MONEY ON PROBATE THAN THEY'LL EVER MAKE DRAFTING A TRUST!)

To spend $3K or $7K to ensure that YOUR wishes are 100% carried out is cheap insurance. Better than $20-50K given to someone else b/c you cheaped it out. Be careful!

Back
Top Bottom