Is this a good enough reason to get a .45 GAP?

Wait a minute...

You want to shoot underpowered .45GAP in a Webley so you can be sure you won't accidently shoot higher powered .45ACP.
I'm with you.

But then you want to get a .45GAP Glock.

Wouldn't you then have full power .45GAP lying around, that you could accidently load in the Webley?

I say get the Glock if you want it, but your safety logic is flawed. And that's coming from a guy who has "safety" on page 3 of my checklists.

I don't quite understand why you want to add another caliber for reloading. Seems like a bigger pain in the neck than just using SP .45acp brass and a sharpie.
Writing a W on every case is more of a pain than keeping a container full of GAP brass and it's not like I'm setting up a progressive to load the GAP.

.40 is even dumber than .45gap [troll]
wp5338281.jpg

Wait a minute...

You want to shoot underpowered .45GAP in a Webley so you can be sure you won't accidently shoot higher powered .45ACP.
I'm with you.

But then you want to get a .45GAP Glock.

Wouldn't you then have full power .45GAP lying around, that you could accidently load in the Webley?

I say get the Glock if you want it, but your safety logic is flawed. And that's coming from a guy who has "safety" on page 3 of my checklists.
The difference is that I would load the GAP for Webley with lead bullets, the Glock with plated/FMJ bullets.

There's no underpowered .45 ACP that I reload, in fact all my .45 ACP that I load is loaded to max standard pressure or near .45 Super levels. Again, that's differentiated by using plated Berry's for the standard pressure, lead bullets for the above +P load in the Redhawk.

The difference is that I would load the GAP for Webley with lead bullets, the Glock with plated/FMJ bullets.

There's no underpowered .45 ACP that I reload, in fact all my .45 ACP that I load is loaded to max standard pressure or near .45 Super levels. Again, that's differentiated by using plated Berry's for the standard pressure, lead bullets for the above +P load in the Redhawk.

It's just... I'm sorry, but we're sixty posts in and it still amazes me that you're going with this solution, which costs about $5-600...

1716510752038.png

...over this solution, which costs about $5-6.00.

1716510870310.png 1716510894492.png

It just seems you're not skinflinting properly, that's all.

Aha! I understand.

Get the GAP, someone has to.

It's just... I'm sorry, but we're sixty posts in and it still amazes me that you're going with this solution, which costs about $5-600...

View attachment 883183

...over this solution, which costs about $5-6.00.

View attachment 883184View attachment 883185

It just seems you're not skinflinting properly, that's all.
It's not skinflinting, it's me trying different shit to see what the results are. If it turns out using the GAP does nothing better in the Webley, then I'll not bother with it anymore.

The Glock 38 may or may not happen after that. It's a lot more likely I would get it if all works great in the Webley, if not I'll probably find something else that I'd rather fukk around with. Like .30 Super Carry when someone other than S&W makes it in a pistol I can afford.

There's always the Hi-Point Carbine for around $320, but given that they only sell 10-round mags for it I don't see the point.
So many like those Hi Point carbines and I've handled a few and think they're big, heavy clunkers. The only one I would buy would be the 10mm.

There's a company called Avidity Arms that released a .30 Super pistol this year, but I've not thought much about what size and features I'd want in a .30 Super vs a 9mm. If someone made a single stack .30 that was the size of a Ruger LC9, but was as thin as the LCP, that I would buy. Nobody's ever gonna make that tho.

Uh, so I did some more looking into loads for the .45 GAP and even the starting loads are like 19k PSI, so to get down to 13K I'd have to cut the starting powder charges in like, half. I'd be concerned about ignition consistency going that low.

That and I have data for .45 ACP with 250gr bullets that I already use for the .45 Colt, so now all I have to do is find some .454 bullets and I'm set.

I bought a Springfield xd 45 gap around 2005 (cause they had not come out with a 45 ACP at that point).

When purchasing ammo for it, the gun store clerk warned me that it was a dying cartridge and any firearm for it was destined to the same fate.

I arrogantly laughed at him and proudly boasted "no way bro!"
Wow i didnt even know anyone other than glock made a gun in GAP

Wow i didnt even know anyone other than glock made a gun in GAP
It was the 4" 45LE model. I still have it.

Its a very rare, well sought after, extremely valuable, collector's model.
[grin];)

1716823555635.png

Hows it shoot?

Those things are tanks

Several online vendors offer 45 Colt bullet in both .452 and .454
There's a place online that casts a 240gr HBWC in .452 which I could use in both my .45 Colts and the Webley. Figure that's worth trying as I've never found a full wadcutter that was inaccurate and they're definitely better in a big bore for defense than a round nose bullet.

Its a very rare, well sought after, extremely valuable, collector's model.
[grin];)

View attachment 883909
How's $395 sound?

Is that online place Matt's Bullets? They also have the correct 260 grain round nose hollow base .455 bullet for the Webley. It's what I cast for mine.

Is that online place Matt's Bullets? They also have the correct 260 grain round nose hollow base .455 bullet for the Webley. It's what I cast for mine.
Yeah. That bullet costs more and IDK if it works well in the .45 ACP case, plus the diameter is larger meaning I'd have to neck expand my brass a lot more (and reduce the case life) to use it in my other .45's.

Also, I don't see a crimp groove for it. The HBWC I can crimp in a lube groove.

There's a place online that casts a 240gr HBWC in .452 which I could use in both my .45 Colts and the Webley. Figure that's worth trying as I've never found a full wadcutter that was inaccurate and they're definitely better in a big bore for defense than a round nose bullet.

Something to remember is that the Webley's rifling was optimized for use with a hollow-based bullet, then the sights were regulated for a 265-grain projectile. I've found the bullet weight matters less than the presence of a hollow base; you can always adjust your hold or your point of aim to hit at whatever weight, but the polygonal rifling really does like a Minie-style ball.

The hollow-base bullet matters most in the earlier marks, however. You can get good accuracy with a Mk V or VI regardless of the base, I find.

Yea, that Webley bullet is too long for the 45acp. The COL would be about 1.4. It might fit the Thompson SMG magazine but I don't care. I'm not using it in the Thompson anyway

Back
Top Bottom