Is this a good enough reason to get a .45 GAP?

I have decided to get a top break Webley sometime this year as they're just cool as fukk and I want a top break that's in a more serious caliber and isn't a Uberti Schofield.

I don't have an issue with either original .455 Webley models or the modified shaved ones that shoot reduced power .45 ACP as I reload, but the .45 ACP ones are much more common and looking at how expensive and awful the supply is for large pistol primers, I'm forced to stray away from using my limited supply of large pistol primers and instead focus on using small pistol primers as they're much more available and cheaper.

This has put me in a position where .45 GAP is not only being considered as a solution, but seems to make the most sense as all 45 GAP cases use small pistol primers and further will help me avoid making a mistake of putting hot .45 ACP ammo into a Webley as if I see it's a .45 GAP with a lead bullet, it's Webley safe ammo.

Since I'll be all tooled up for reloading the .45 GAP, I figure I should consider getting a Glock in .45 GAP. I had thought about it before, but have waffled saying I don't really need one and would be going out of my way to bother with the ammo. Since I would already be loading .45 GAP the status quo has changed.

So, NES, am I thinking smart or dumb? The main reason I am considering loading .45 GAP is I do not believe large pistol primers will be as cheap or available as small primers are currently for many years.

no

plus you can get small primer 45 ACP anyways. (Other than revolver shooters, everyone else throws this brass away!)

Also in primer droughts... smalls are ALWAYS harder to come by, btw. (this could have changed, but your assertion of large being harder to find is not consistent, IMHO. when people hit the shelves, the smalls are gonna go first. )

no

plus you can get small primer 45 ACP anyways. (Other than revolver shooters, everyone else throws this brass away!)

Also in primer droughts... smalls are ALWAYS harder to come by, btw. (this could have changed, but your assertion of large being harder to find is not consistent, IMHO. when people hit the shelves, the smalls are gonna go first. )
Well, there's other benefits to using the GAP in addition to the safety aspect of ease of identity, one being because it has less case capacity (very close to .455 Webley actually) I can probably get more consistent lower power loads than I can with ACP. The other being easier, faster ejection.

Also, the case itself is stronger, the brass will last longer than typical .45 ACP.

I do have a small amount of the small primer .45 ACP and I prefer to save this brass for use in the autos I have as well as a Ruger revolver I load them up hot for.

Smalls are far easier and cheaper for me to get right now. The primer manufacturers have been so busy cranking out 9mm they've made a much larger dent in supply/demand than with large.

Targetsports has large pistol in stock as of right now. Large will always cost more than small. It is the way.

There doesn't seem to be a huge difference (but there is a difference) in outside case dimensions between a.c.p. and gay and proud aside from the obvious length, so have you considered trimming down s.p.p. a.c.p. cases if that was the route you're set on? Once fired S.p.p. brass seems to be more readily available.
Would auto rim brass work?
If you're going to download for it, then thicker brass wouldn't make a difference.
Are you sitting on a pile of g.a.p. brass? Seems to be out of stock on several websites.
Is this one of those ww2 throw back revolvers that used moons/ halfmoons?

The g.a.p. cartridge is an april fools joke that never went away. Theres probably half a dozen more options to feed a Webley.
As for the bottom feed, pass on it. Its a novelty gun at best.
Could never wrap my head around why someone would take a slow round and make it anemic on top of that. Should have just called it .45 acp spl.

I mean, if your SOLE concern is small pistol primers, then I suppose .45GAP cases are one solution, sure.

But there are many others, and as a guy who's been reloading for Webleys for over a decade now, I've used all those solutions and never had to stoop to having anything to do with .45GAP. YMMV, but the way your post reads makes it look like you're trying to talk yourself into this.

Targetsports has large pistol in stock as of right now. Large will always cost more than small. It is the way.
I can get small pistol primers for over $30 less than what Target is selling the large and they are the cheapest place I've seen selling large.

There doesn't seem to be a huge difference (but there is a difference) in outside case dimensions between a.c.p. and gay and proud aside from the obvious length, so have you considered trimming down s.p.p. a.c.p. cases if that was the route you're set on? Once fired S.p.p. brass seems to be more readily available.
There's not enough difference to make a difference in the OD of the cases and it wouldn't matter as I'd be using the same sizing die anyway. Trimming SPP .45 ACP would be a waste.
Would auto rim brass work?
Auto Rim will work, but they use large primers.
If you're going to download for it, then thicker brass wouldn't make a difference.
Probably not, but I don't think the brass is thicker, the case is just stronger, probably thru use of the small primer.
Are you sitting on a pile of g.a.p. brass? Seems to be out of stock on several websites.
No, waiting for them to get back in stock.
Is this one of those ww2 throw back revolvers that used moons/ halfmoons?
Yup
The g.a.p. cartridge is an april fools joke that never went away. Theres probably half a dozen more options to feed a Webley.
And none of them use small pistol primers except some .45 ACP cases that I would rather save for other guns.
As for the bottom feed, pass on it. Its a novelty gun at best.
Could never wrap my head around why someone would take a slow round and make it anemic on top of that. Should have just called it .45 acp spl.
Uh... at full pressure the GAP has more power than the .45 ACP standard pressure.

I can get small pistol primers for over $30 less than what Target is selling the large and they are the cheapest place I've seen selling large.

There's not enough difference to make a difference in the OD of the cases and it wouldn't matter as I'd be using the same sizing die anyway. Trimming SPP .45 ACP would be a waste.

Auto Rim will work, but they use large primers.

Probably not, but I don't think the brass is thicker, the case is just stronger, probably thru use of the small primer.

No, waiting for them to get back in stock.

Yup

And none of them use small pistol primers except some .45 ACP cases that I would rather save for other guns.

Uh... at full pressure the GAP has more power than the .45 ACP standard pressure.

This is what I'm talking about: you're talking yourself into this. Every issue anyone brings up, you've got a quick rejoinder. Which is fine, but makes me wonder why you bothered to make a thread about this.

At this point? You want to buy a .45GAP Glock, clearly, and you're just as clearly not listening much to what others are saying. So go buy the GAP already. Happy shooting!

I mean, if your SOLE concern is small pistol primers, then I suppose .45GAP cases are one solution, sure.

But there are many others, and as a guy who's been reloading for Webleys for over a decade now, I've used all those solutions and never had to stoop to having anything to do with .45GAP. YMMV, but the way your post reads makes it look like you're trying to talk yourself into this.
IDK all of what your solutions to whatever issues you had with your Webley, but mine simply comes down to I want to use small primers and I have to options: use .45 ACP that I find at the range and have no idea the history of and rely on things out of my control to get more of the brass or I use .45 GAP and buy 500 or 1000 cases when they become available

use .45 ACP that I find at the range and have no idea the history of and rely on things out of my control to get more of the brass

If this is an issue for you, then go buy .45GAP.

It's not an issue for me. Webley loads are not thunderously powerful; they are not hard on brass at all. As long as you prepare and examine your brass during reloading, it's difficult for me to see why policed-up brass off the range would be a problem. In fact, that's most of what I use. But if you can't get your head right with doing that? Then yup. You do you.

Good luck!

The OP decided to ask NES but already had it in his head that he wasn't going to accept no for an answer 😂😂😂
I can accept no, but my mind is set on reloading .45 GAP and if ammo supply or price isn't an issue, then what's the drawback to also getting the Glock pistol the ammo was made for? It's not like I'd buy one new or would cost a fortune.

If this is an issue for you, then go buy .45GAP.

It's not an issue for me. Webley loads are not thunderously powerful; they are not hard on brass at all. As long as you prepare and examine your brass during reloading, it's difficult for me to see why policed-up brass off the range would be a problem. In fact, that's most of what I use. But if you can't get your head right with doing that? Then yup. You do you.

Good luck!
Most of my .45 ACP has been picked up free, but they're being used in a Ruger or a Hi Point. Strong guns that can take a case rupture. The Weble I have no idea.

But this goes beyond just case life and strength, it goes back to ease of identification. GAP loads using a lead bullet are Webley food, GAP loads using plated Berry's would be for the Glock GAP. ACP would be for everything else.

I can accept no, but my mind is set on reloading .45 GAP and if ammo supply or price isn't an issue, then what's the drawback to also getting the Glock pistol the ammo was made for? It's not like I'd buy one new or would cost a fortune.
If your mind is set why are you asking NES?

I'm sure your going to be fine whichever way you go with this, I just commented because I find it funny when dudes need validation from internet strangers, it happens all the time here and I find it amusing.

Best of luck either way 🍻

If your mind is set why are you asking NES?

I'm sure your going to be fine whichever way you go with this, I just commented because I find it funny when dudes need validation from internet strangers, it happens all the time here and I find it amusing.

Best of luck either way 🍻
It's not set, but what NES seems to be more focused on is telling me not to bother using GAP cases for a Webley and the reasons for not doing so are less because the ACP is better and more due to them being unable to wrap their head around the reasons why I'm
Inclinded to use .45 GAP.

If the days of pre Covid ever return and large primers are as plentiful and the same price as small primers, then yup, I'd rather use the .45 ACP cuz I have lots of those already. I have no faith the current situation with primers is going to change. It's been 4 years and the cheapest primers are still up 80% over January 2020 prices.

I mean, just because I'm loading the .45 GAP doesn't mean I have to buy a pistol specifically chambered for it tho, right?

This is what I'm talking about: you're talking yourself into this. Every issue anyone brings up, you've got a quick rejoinder. Which is fine, but makes me wonder why you bothered to make a thread about this.

At this point? You want to buy a .45GAP Glock, clearly, and you're just as clearly not listening much to what others are saying. So go buy the GAP already. Happy shooting!
I'm a deep thinker.

I have talked myself into using .45 GAP for a Webley, but that doesn't mean I have talked myself into a Glock 38.

I had actually talked myself out of it until the lightbulb went off with small pistol vs large pistol thing and how in the Webley it loses nothing using the GAP.

I'm a deep thinker.

I have talked myself into using .45 GAP for a Webley, but that doesn't mean I have talked myself into a Glock 38.

I had actually talked myself out of it until the lightbulb went off with small pistol vs large pistol thing and how in the Webley it loses nothing using the GAP.

Okay.

In that case, since you're asking, I'd allow hell to freeze over before I got anywhere close to a .45GAP Glock. I'd just buy some brass and use it for the Webley. But to be honest, I doubt you'll put a whole lot of volume through the Webley. I put maybe 20 rounds through each one each year, mostly because I've simply got other stuff that's more fun. I'm actually in the same boat as you: one of my Webleys takes .45LC, and I don't feel the need to go buy a Ruger Vaquero in that caliber just to shoot that "also." I just have a bag of LC brass, most of which is unfired since I just keep reloading the same 18 cases.

TL;DR: you're unlikely to need a whole lot of brass, so buying a whole gun just for that seems... excessive.

Last edited:
Does the Webley headspace on the case mouth??? The GAP is .131" shorter than a .455. I assume you already checked if it would work, but that seems an awful big difference.

Even if you think I'm an a**h*** @Mesatchornug certainly isn't and I would take his advice.

At some point or another in your life you will wake up one morning and just stop punching yourself in the dick trying to do things like this.

Overthinking this problem will invariably create a outcome that is worse than the otherwise organic one.

seriously though, i simplified everything when I moved. sold/stopped shooting most of my oddball guns. now I only shoot and reload a few calibers. I didn't want to get really heavily into reloading a lot of calibers, I decided if I was going to make a new whole process like reloading I wanted to consolidate down to 9mm, 5.56, .357, .45/70, and 12gauge. Personally I have no interest in doing anything too wildcatty, ymmv.

Well, there's other benefits to using the GAP in addition to the safety aspect of ease of identity, one being because it has less case capacity (very close to .455 Webley actually) I can probably get more consistent lower power loads than I can with ACP. The other being easier, faster ejection.

Also, the case itself is stronger, the brass will last longer than typical .45 ACP.

I do have a small amount of the small primer .45 ACP and I prefer to save this brass for use in the autos I have as well as a Ruger revolver I load them up hot for.

Smalls are far easier and cheaper for me to get right now. The primer manufacturers have been so busy cranking out 9mm they've made a much larger dent in supply/demand than with large.
Dude, do you even shoot?

I have 45 cases that have been fired over 10 times.

All the 45 ACP "problems" you mentioned are not problems. You can find cheap 45 ACP SP brass online, you can reload the cases multiple times, you can load them light AF, you can use Small Primers ...

The advantage of 45 is you can also easily find it factory loaded, for those times you don't feel like reloading.

Last edited:
The advantage of 45 is you can also easily find it factory loaded, for those times you don't feel like reloading.

Well... not in a Webley.

Factory .45ACP produces pressures similar to the .455 Webley proof shot. It's a bad idea to keep on running such ammo through your scarce 110-year-old gat. To own a Webley is to reload for that Webley, pretty much, whether the cylinder is shaved or not. .455 factory ammo is very rare at all times.

The rest of your post is spot-on. I too think the OP is being unreasonably obtuse with almost all his ideas, but he's dead set on .45GYAT. So that's what he's going to get. Far be it from me to dissuade anybody.

So long as he shoots safely and doesn't ruin a fine Webley specimen!

Back
Top Bottom