Who would buy a TOMMY GUN??

KC Small Arms had one for sale last year. Called them to buy it, no answer. Said to myself "I'll call a little later" and never did. Kicking myself.
Love this gun. I'll get one some day.

Gunbroker has a lot on sale (mostly overpriced). Many come with a drum mag, so that can be a challenge for MA people.

Quite a few Trump Specials on sale (look like crap). They are going to have a hard time charging a premium for those guns.

Almost picked one up when GrabAGun had the MA compliant version in stock for $1400 a month or so ago. Decided that I didn’t need another .45 ACP to feed. If I had moved into reloading earlier I probably would have gone for it, since ammo wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I’ll throw this in for my Gramps. Pictured here in England demonstrating the Thompson before Normandy invasion. before he landed on Omaha. This picture caused my love of war era arms. His helmet is my avatar. He is my hero.

Attachments

• 89664B5B-11A5-4CB4-9942-FA840867A61B.jpeg
    89664B5B-11A5-4CB4-9942-FA840867A61B.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 102
My dad was a WWII armorer, and liked them, as long as they had the horizontal fore-grip, and a stick magazine. He said the vertical grips were prone to damage, and the drums would easily jam, with a tiny dent.

Heavy buggers, indeed.

The one Dad was issued had stick magazines and horizontal fore grip. The Tommy guns may not have actually been a standard issue but they were not uncommon for the Vietnam USMC pilots to have. He didn't mention ever having to use it on missions but loved to shoot it. Go figure that Marines would have shit that's old but works good. Same story for his daily driver. He flew a variety of aircraft but in 3 tours of combat only flew UH-34's. He had his hands full flying the birds and had 50-cal door gunners. One of the few stories he mentioned was that they landed in formation in a rice paddy and some old VC hag popped up out of the grass and started shooting a pistol at the pilot right next to him. She was so close to that helicopter that its door gunner could not reach her. Dad's door gunner took care of business with a 50 cal.

For those of you who need a WWII style Thompson fix - There's a FA Thompson at top of the list in the WTS NFA classifieds (not mine, I wish!)...... absolute beauty!

Hell... since it's an NES member's post I'll give free advertising!

Looks like a "FUN" build ?

I had a 1927 semi auto until I bought a 1928 full auto from WWII. There are a few differences but Zappa pretty much covered them. It's probably the last of the walnut and machined steel machineguns.

After 34 years and 34,000 rounds, the thrill wears off. This year I gave the 1928 A1 A/O Bridgeport made by Savage to Little Jack. Hell of a gun. No issues in all that time. When you hit the lottery, try to find a Savage. They machined the actuator and cocking as one piece from bar stock. Others, like the West Hurley ones, have the cocking knob as a separate part peened onto the actuator and the knob will come off eventually. Also, the W.H. guns tend to split at the rear of the receiver since the steel is too thin there. If you hit the lottery twice, you can look for one of the15,000 original 1921s made by Colt. Don't think that I'm wealthy, my '28 was $495 dealer in 1985. Not transferrable but if all goes well, it will stay in the family of 07/SOTs in the future. Along with the M3A1 Grease Gun, $200 dealer then. Good luck and have fun. Jack.

Yeah, they weigh a friggin' ton!
I bought a used 1927A1 back in the mid-2000's, IIRC I paid $900 for it.
They are unbelievably heavy. My PD owns 2 of the real deal, both registered. I remember taking one out of the rack in our armory and just hefting it, I put it back and never desired to ever shoot it. Last I saw (a few years ago) the deputy (also a Marine) had put one in a display case at the PD, the other one is still in the armory.

Not my cup of tea, but I did admire the wall of Thompsons at Shooters Outpost Museum the last time I toured the museum (a few months ago).

how many of you like this
Impulse buy
Glad I did it
Do you think I did the right thing

it’s nicer than I thought it would be
VERY VERY CLEAN
maybe never fired. Pristine!
View attachment 487490
Absolutely did the right thing!
I sent 3k to some Nigerian Prince so he could release 50k to me...still waiting. Otherwise I would have jumped on it. I would shoot a Steel Challenge Match with it...would be considered a PCC?

shot an original one in full auto it was a blast just a push no heavy recoil. we were shooting them into a sand bank 130 yards fmj ball. you could see the copper bullets reflect light past 100 yds

Off topic, but where did you pull that that data from?!
From linked Site:
Where do the prices come from?

Price data comes from many different sources and is a combination of both asking and selling price from Internet boards, many dealer web sites and table displays from gun shows throughout the country. Selling prices are actual sales from web auction sites, nationwide live auctions and sales from individuals and machine gun dealers. Many dealers provide sale prices, knowing it's easier to sell to informed buyers.​

I had always wanted (dreamed about actually) a WWIII M1A1. Then I got to fire one at a Westfield Machine Gun Shoot a couple of years before it was shut down.

It s a heavy mother but like a few have commented, not much recoil.

Now I just think about one fondly, kinda like an old lover you really don't want back any more.

Back
Top Bottom