• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who will "kill" Glock?

glocks are stupidly easy to operate with no manual safety, have tons of aftermarket parts and accessories, and are easily customizable.... and being in MA can be used with preban mags.

If another product exists with the same capabilities then maybe they could knock glock down.

So Baretta needs to make a poly striker gun with no safety that uses 92FS mags. Problem solved. Well other than it would only come in one flavor.

I will admit that I struggled a little at first going from an expensive tuned 1911 to the Glock. I think it was a mixture of the difference in trigger (I leave my Glock triggers stock) and the grip angle, but after shooting the gun and some dry firing in the living room, I am over it. I liken it to going from driving a Ford Ranger to a SuperCrew long bed F350, it just took a little getting used to.

Han-Solo-Blaster-Kydex-Glock-Holster.jpg

Lol I was gonna ask if that was the Han Solo blast kydex, but after quoting I see the URL...

Still why no Springfield xd talk?
I love my xds, and wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of the double stack guns.

I have never owned/fired a glock but hope to soon.

For me, break down and reassembly is super important. A 92F (yes, I know is a fossil) is about as compliacted as I want assebmlby to be

For me, break down and reassembly is super important.

Odd. I don't understand why that would be so important to you.

I've never had a defensive handgun that was difficult to field strip. Some are a little easier than others (SIG is perhaps the easiest), but none of them are particularly difficult. And the price that SIG pays for being so easy to field strip is that awful high bore axis. I'll gladly fuss with Glocks little levers in exchange for its much lower bore axis.

There are a ton of used glocks and probably the biggest secondary market of spare parts and aftermarket parts. What pistol has a market this big? Pistols, designs come and go, but huge bulk of glock parts will not run dry for at least few generations. It may not be perfect or best, but it's good enough and availability/ ease of parts replacement make it timeless. Only time can dillute that or another pistol that floods the market like crazy. I can see it happen, but it has to be dramatic, may be not tech wise (Glock wasn't exactly most innovative) but marketing and sales propelled it more than anything where it is now. It would take another company like that to unseat them. With current 2a trends, I just don't see it happening.

Glock is like the Budweiser of pistols:

They have some variety in their flavors, none of which are particularly exciting.

They do what they're supposed to do. EVERYTIME

Brand recognition is second to none

I don't care for either one if them, as I don't handle the recoil well [smile]

Seriously, I've shot a 19, 17, and 23. I shot none of them nearly as well as my M&P, or my XDm. I had a real problem getting the grip right, and maybe I should have given it more of a chance. I really like my XDm and XDs, having no problem with a grip safety. I don think anyone's gonna kill glock anymore than someone's gonna kill Anheuser Busch.

For me, break down and reassembly is super important. A 92F (yes, I know is a fossil) is about as compliacted as I want assebmlby to be
Then you should check out another "fossil" of the .45 variety...

H&K just came up with the VP9, Walther has its PPQ, SIG the P320, CZ has the P07 and P01, S&W has the M&P line. All are reliable firearms from reputable makers. Exept for the VP, I've handled pretty much all of them and must say that their ergos beat the day lights out of Glocks. Also, the Austrians aren't innovative anymore since what? The 80ies? They seem to rest on their laurels, which is never a good thing for a company. Everybody seems to wait for a single stack 9 from them, since years, to no avail. GB is their only military contract that I know of. So, why does everybody think Glocks are that great, and who is most likely to replace them on the #1 position for striker fired polys?

You're making quite a leap there. The VP9 has been out for what? 2 weeks? The PPQ and P320 haven't been out much longer. My experience with the M&P was that it sucked (admittedly, not a valid sample but I'm not the only one).

I find it funny that people are so into what the best gun is because the truth of the matter is and always will be an individual choice and opinion, I love glocks and couldn't care less about what anyone here or anywhere else has to say about it just like I would never argue with anyone on what the best gun is. Guns that shoot when you pull the trigger and hit what your aiming at are good guns. Some feel better than others kinda like women, we all have our own tastes

Would you say that most of the malfunctions we see, regardless of gun, are ammo related though?

They usually are, but with the glocks 19s. They were using factory ammo and the guns ejected poorly. Sometimes the round dribbled out, sometimes it landed on the rear sight and sometimes it went left. And it wasn't one or two, it was everyone that I saw at macthes

I have shot Gen 3 23s that I could jam on command with factory ammo.

I don't think glocks are anymore reliable then any other gun out there

H&K just came up with the VP9, Walther has its PPQ, SIG the P320, CZ has the P07 and P01, S&W has the M&P line. All are reliable firearms from reputable makers. Exept for the VP, I've handled pretty much all of them and must say that their ergos beat the day lights out of Glocks. Also, the Austrians aren't innovative anymore since what? The 80ies? They seem to rest on their laurels, which is never a good thing for a company. Everybody seems to wait for a single stack 9 from them, since years, to no avail. GB is their only military contract that I know of. So, why does everybody think Glocks are that great, and who is most likely to replace them on the #1 position for striker fired polys?

You left out Ruger. Also the GLOCK clone, Timberwolf.

Timberwolf Frame

Odd. I don't understand why that would be so important to you.

I've never had a defensive handgun that was difficult to field strip. Some are a little easier than others (SIG is perhaps the easiest), but none of them are particularly difficult. And the price that SIG pays for being so easy to field strip is that awful high bore axis. I'll gladly fuss with Glocks little levers in exchange for its much lower bore axis.

My P22 comes to mind as easily the biggest PITA to put back together.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you should check out another "fossil" of the .45 variety...

Bought a 1911A. took a few tries (and scratches) but not too bad.

My P22 comes to mind as easily the biggest PITA to put back together.

A fair number of rimfire pistols are a PITA. But what defensive centerfire handgun is a PITA to put back together? I've got Glocks, Kahrs, SIGs, H&K, 1911s, etc. Some are a bit easier than others but none of them are hard, so I just can't understand what the issue is.

A fair number of rimfire pistols are a PITA. But what defensive centerfire handgun is a PITA to put back together? I've got Glocks, Kahrs, SIGs, H&K, 1911s, etc. Some are a bit easier than others but none of them are hard, so I just can't understand what the issue is.

I guess my comment was based somewhat on ignorance! My go to ccw is a .38 j w/+p's

I have owned many revolvers, but only a few centerfire semis- P22, 92F, 1911A, and markarov

Glocks are like Honda Civics, will always exist on a large scale. Cheap, proven reliability, Insane aftermarket parts availability etc etc. I'm sorry, but the only thing that will kill a Glock is Han Solo's DL-44, and we will probably live on Mars by then.

If anything has a real chance it's the Arsenal Strike One, which has a ingenious Barrel lock up system that greatly reduces the Bore Axis, which plays a significant role in recoil control and the speed of follow up shots. Unfortunately people are stuck on the "Brand Names" of the firearm (HK), but what about something new and revolutionary that really works, after all, isn't that how Glock made a name for itself and is the bench mark for polymers??

I had a Steyr M9 that blew away any of my Glocks in everyway..Grip, trigger, lower bore axis ... Except it failed me a couple times and i didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling like a Glock, regardless the Steyr is still a better gun overall but no one cares cause it's made by Steyr..

I'm not sure why everyone is on this HK VP-9 band wagon, everyone is acting like its this amazing new pistol that will replace/ "kiLL" the Glock??, i'm sure the same was said when S&W came out with the MP line. All the other types of polymers are from reputable names but it's the same gun, Just like A Colt Ar is the same as a Spikes AR, it's the same thing, just a Glock copy with the same operation with different quality parts and ergo. It's like saying "watch out Colt, Sig is coming out with a new line of 1911 pistols", Big deal....

I had a Steyr M9 that blew away any of my Glocks in everyway..Grip, trigger, lower bore axis ... Except it failed me a couple times and i didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling like a Glock, regardless the Steyr is still a better gun overall but no one cares cause it's made by Steyr..

No, the Steyr M was a commercial failure because of the SCARY AS **** short trigger pull. Most people just don't have the balls to admit that really freaked them out. If there was ever a greater enforcer of trigger discipline, I don't think you could ever get better than the M. [laugh]

-Mike

If anything has a real chance it's the Arsenal Strike One, which has a ingenious Barrel lock up system that greatly reduces the Bore Axis, which plays a significant role in recoil control and the speed of follow up shots.

Logical stuff that doesn't pan out in real shooting.

reality is that we are spoiled by modern firearm technology.....even the lower tier or "economical" modern autoloading handguns are far superior to options 20-30 years ago.

examples: S&W SD9VE, ruger SR9c, FMK 9C1, hell even a Hi Point C9.....all are reliable with good ammo and some TLC, so honestly WTF almost every modern gun design has its merits.

well i guess the R51 is an exception but i still want one.

reality is that we are spoiled by modern firearm technology.....even the lower tier or "economical" modern autoloading handguns are far superior to options 20-30 years ago.

examples: S&W SD9VE, ruger SR9c, FMK 9C1, hell even a Hi Point C9.....all are reliable with good ammo and some TLC, so honestly WTF almost every modern gun design has its merits.

well i guess the R51 is an exception but i still want one.

+1. I ordered an HK this weekend, not cause I think it's better than an M&P or Glock, just cause it looks cool and it comes in a cool box. If you just want quality there are so many choices.

No, the Steyr M was a commercial failure because of the SCARY AS **** short trigger pull. Most people just don't have the balls to admit that really freaked them out. If there was ever a greater enforcer of trigger discipline, I don't think you could ever get better than the M. [laugh]

-Mike

This. I was offered one as a trade for my G36. It sucked. went with the G19 Gen4 and it has been flawless. Although I carry XDs 45. Glocks do their job. Really don't get the hate. I also love my TZ75 and want a real CZ 75 soon. Awesome guns ...

i have limited experience with glocks, have shot a few,, didnt like the triggers. i havent read all the posts but id choose my ruger sr9c before any glock 9mm. but thats just me.

Back
Top Bottom