• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who will "kill" Glock?

H&K just came up with the VP9, Walther has its PPQ, SIG the P320, CZ has the P07 and P01, S&W has the M&P line. All are reliable firearms from reputable makers. Exept for the VP, I've handled pretty much all of them and must say that their ergos beat the day lights out of Glocks. Also, the Austrians aren't innovative anymore since what? The 80ies? They seem to rest on their laurels, which is never a good thing for a company. Everybody seems to wait for a single stack 9 from them, since years, to no avail. GB is their only military contract that I know of. So, why does everybody think Glocks are that great, and who is most likely to replace them on the #1 position for striker fired polys?

ergonomics is subjective. Everyone's hands are different. Oddly, My Glock 30 is the most comfortable in my hand and most naturally pointing handgun in my current collection. I have 2 in the M&P like and while they look like they should be more ergonomic, to me they're just not.

Regarding innovation, why innovate on a time tested and proven design? Other than innovating their way out of exploding .40s, what's the point? Each gen comes out with some minor tweaking but the overall design just works. Why mess with it? I'm no Glock fanboy but I do like my G30 very much.

Given that the rest of the world can get them at normal prices too they really are a pretty great value.

As far as single stack 9 goes, I'm not that interested. I have a Karh PM9, it's all the single stack 9 I need. Great tiny little gun for summer or deep concealment. There's really only room for one such gun in my carry rotation. Buying a single stack 9 Glock would be buying a gun just for the sake of buying a gun...for me. And there's nothing wrong with that either. More the merrier.

Why would you limit yourself?

Cause he probably believes that preban mags are always going to cost like 50-100 bucks a pop and doesn't want to pay it.

Besides, the whole capacity thing is overblown anyways. Run your gun with whatever you want to run it with. I also don't base gun purchasing decisions any more around what kind of mags I supposedly can or cannot get. I'm more interested in the rest of the gun. One thing that does suck about M&Ps though is that if you feel you're stuck with 10 round mags (cause of the lawrs) then you have to modify the ****ing things to get them to work properly in some cases, which is kind of a buzzkill.

-Mike

Last edited:
I own quite a few striker-fired 9's including the highly coveted VP9, and here's my $0.02:

In MA or any ban state, I'm never going to pick anything other than the Glock 19. I personally love Glocks, shoot them better than any other pistol, plus I have a safe full of pre-ban mags. Also, I know that I can get parts or service for my Glock from basically any gun store in the country because it is so popular and easy to work on.

The VP9 is EXTRAORDINARY. I love the trigger, love the ergos, and shoot it very well. I shoot my Glock a tiny bit better probably because I have thousands more rounds through the Glock than the HK. If I could get full-cap mags for the VP9, I would seriously consider making it my primary pistol but would always have a Glock 19 for backup. My only complaint is that a thumbs-forward grip SOMETIMES causes the slide to not lock back on the last round because of the giant slide release lever. (Same problem on the P30... it's not as bad on the VP9.)

M&P... meh. I own one, I shoot it sometimes. It feels great, it's a nice pistol. Sometimes it's very accurate, and sometimes I feel like it's not, and I've read that other people have similar issues with accuracy, particularly with heavier bullets. The thing I don't like the most about the M&P is that I feel like it was designed by lawyers, and then it's completely unshootable until you put an Apex kit in.

Even if I move out of state, I think a Glock 19 will still always be my favorite, followed very closely by the incredible piece of engineering that is the VP9.

I own quite a few striker-fired 9's including the highly coveted VP9, and here's my $0.02:

In MA or any ban state, I'm never going to pick anything other than the Glock 19. I personally love Glocks, shoot them better than any other pistol, plus I have a safe full of pre-ban mags. Also, I know that I can get parts or service for my Glock from basically any gun store in the country because it is so popular and easy to work on.

The VP9 is EXTRAORDINARY. I love the trigger, love the ergos, and shoot it very well. I shoot my Glock a tiny bit better probably because I have thousands more rounds through the Glock than the HK. If I could get full-cap mags for the VP9, I would seriously consider making it my primary pistol but would always have a Glock 19 for backup. My only complaint is that a thumbs-forward grip SOMETIMES causes the slide to not lock back on the last round because of the giant slide release lever. (Same problem on the P30... it's not as bad on the VP9.)

M&P... meh. I own one, I shoot it sometimes. It feels great, it's a nice pistol. Sometimes it's very accurate, and sometimes I feel like it's not, and I've read that other people have similar issues with accuracy, particularly with heavier bullets. The thing I don't like the most about the M&P is that I feel like it was designed by lawyers, and then it's completely unshootable until you put an Apex kit in.

Even if I move out of state, I think a Glock 19 will still always be my favorite, followed very closely by the incredible piece of engineering that is the VP9.

I agree with a lot of this, though an M&P9 with the free state trigger doesn't need an Apex kit to be shootable. I did find that I shoot the VP9 better than the G19, even with more trigger time on the G19. It's like having two kids and they're both my favorite. [wink]

Question; How will you define #1? If I remember correctly Glock has already sold more than 5 million guns. Does the next #1 have to sell more guns than that? Or do they have to last for more than 3 decades? There are lots of nice guns out there but when you consider the ingenuity, simplicity and reliability of the Glocks it truly is amazing. Plus it looks like a brick! LOL

I went with the CZ P01. Because:
A. I cant' hit sh!t with glocks.
B. Everytime I've shot one, I get multiple FTF || stovepipes, to which glock-tards insist I'm limp-wristing.

Decided to go with something I can hit stuff with and wont fail as I prance through the flowers.

I agree. My Glock FTF every mag. And this is a gun you are suppose to be able to dunk in frozen mud and fire. My CZ's, CZ75, CZ83, PO7 and P01 not only pump out rounds without hesitation, but are accurate as heck.

I agree. My Glock FTF every mag. And this is a gun you are suppose to be able to dunk in frozen mud and fire. My CZ's, CZ75, CZ83, PO7 and P01 not only pump out rounds without hesitation, but are accurate as heck.

While I'm also a CZ fan, the only glock issue I've encountered was w brand new gen 4 9mm glocks firing weak 115gr FMJ causing misfeeds. clearly due to incomplete slide cycling. Can be fixed by either shooting hotter ammo, heavier ammo (124 or 147gr) or just shooting/cleaning the gun until the spring loosens up and gun breaks in.

i've noticed that as the guns break in, there is an intermediate period where they will cycle only with firm grip and fail to cycle with weaker grip. again as it breaks in then it will fire with just about any grip. after 500 rounds i've had a glock 34 that wouldn't cycle at all with 115gr FMJ now cycling 100% upside down with left-handed massive limp wrist....no issues.

Fail to feed or fire? There are ways to fix these...

Keep in mind commentary will be tainted by the fact the glocks are the only wonder gun that has preban mag availability. Asking a non ma crowd may yield more accurate results.

I would argue in a ban state they will never be replaced

my USP has pre ban mags

nvm u meant striker fire pistols

my USP has pre ban mags

nvm u meant striker fire pistols

Which USP is it? I thought they mostly didn't have pre-bans, or maybe that's the Compact.

I'd probably have sold my Sig if it didn't have pre-bans, and the only thing that might make me get a Glock 19 is the pre-bans, but I hate letting this state dictate what I use.

The P320 is a huge step up from its terrible, ****ing awful, DAO cousin, the P250. That said, the gun is still the width of a school bus, like everything else Sig makes. It'll probably still sell well, though. The one I dry fired seemed to have a decent trigger that broke well and had a relatively short reset.

-Mike

Glock perfection!

Springfield-Sub-Compact-XD-1.jpg

Glock perfection!

Springfield-Sub-Compact-XD-1.jpg

Although in fairness, I bet that gun is still smaller then the M&P9c, etc. Dat rail though... dat's just laughable.

289c37m.jpg

ETA: doesn't get much worse than this though... [puke] Might as well say FUNG WAH BUS on the side of it.

DSC04052.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a mountable light meant for the Springfield easy enough. It's a great shooting pistol and is very accurate right out of the box. The only thing, in my opinion, a Glock has over a Springfield is that Glocks are engineered simpler and are easier to work on and modify.

The P320 is a huge step up from its terrible, ****ing awful, DAO cousin, the P250. That said, the gun is still the width of a school bus, like everything else Sig makes. It'll probably still sell well, though. The one I dry fired seemed to have a decent trigger that broke well and had a relatively short reset.

-Mike

the MA compliant p250 trigger is awful.
the free state p250 feels like a smooth revolver trigger and aint half bad once you learn to stage it correctly.
nutnfancy recently did a video on the p250 specifically about how people hate on it but once a shooter lerns to stage it the gun becomes quite nice.

And then there is that whole stupid back strap safety.

I don't mind the grip safety, even though I feel it's unnecessary. The one thing that annoys me on my XDm's is the long reset trigger. Even with the SA "minimal reset trigger", it's longer than a stock Glock trigger. I've gotten the rhythm of it down pretty well, and can deliver a good shot cadence while maintaining accuracy, but it could be better. That's my biggest bitch about it. Besides, I'm nowhere near HSLD enough for the Glock army.

And then there is that whole stupid back strap safety.

this. i wanted an XD for the longest time--however even when i could just go to the store and buy one for a reasonable price i... didn't.

instead i trained more with my glock and my 19 is my go-to gun. i've still got a long way to go, but it's the gun i am by far most comfortable with. hilariously my next choice would be a 1911 if i needed to incinerate a man through a brick wall with the power of .45 ACP.

honestly whenever i hear of problems with glocks unless there's something legitimately ****ed in half with it mechanically i'm gonna blame the shooter. i've beat the everloving shit out of mine up to and including drizzling condiments on it--no problems. every time i squeeze the trigger and i miss my intended spot on the target it's my fault. the only time i ever had FTFs was when i was using sellier and bellot ammo which is notorious for hard primers. in two days i fired a full case of the shit, had 15 failures, and 3 of the 15 were just plain duds.

Back
Top Bottom