Which of your handguns do you shoot best?

Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull running 300 gr. Hornady XTP Mags at 1460 fps. I get minute of clay at 100 yds using only iron sights.....backwards....with a mirror....standing on one foot (like Captain Morgan).

Last edited:
I had to go upstairs and open the gun safes to count up the handguns.There are 35 autos and revolvers in single action and double action. The best shooting has been with the S&W X frame .500. I shoot a hand load of H4227 and a Rainier or Berrys plated bullet at 1500fps. I bought this gun as a joke,just to have the biggest gun I could buy.I never expected it to be the most accurate handgun I ever fired.The offhand groups at 25 yards are so small,I won't even print them here cause you won't believe me anyway. It's not difficult to hit a 12" steel plate at 200 yards. That's sitting and resting my arms on my knees.I'm fortunate to own some of the all time classic handguns but none is more accurate than the .500. I don't know why this is so.Maybe I just try a little harder when I know all that blast and recoil are coming.Maybe EC knows,he shoots those giant calibers alot more than I do.

I had to go upstairs and open the gun safes to count up the handguns.There are 35 autos and revolvers in single action and double action. The best shooting has been with the S&W X frame .500. I shoot a hand load of H4227 and a Rainier or Berrys plated bullet at 1500fps. I bought this gun as a joke,just to have the biggest gun I could buy.I never expected it to be the most accurate handgun I ever fired.The offhand groups at 25 yards are so small,I won't even print them here cause you won't believe me anyway. It's not difficult to hit a 12" steel plate at 200 yards. That's sitting and resting my arms on my knees.I'm fortunate to own some of the all time classic handguns but none is more accurate than the .500. I don't know why this is so.Maybe I just try a little harder when I know all that blast and recoil are coming.Maybe EC knows,he shoots those giant calibers alot more than I do.

I don't own one, but I get it. In Athol, I was shooting clay pigeons with EC's .500 that were nestled at the bottom of the berm. Then I was shooting pieces of the pieces of the clays. Mr. Twigg will have to give the stats on distance, but I think it's 75-yards. The rounds were some of the hottest .500's I've shot to date and it was simply sublime...

My 22A, but that's to be expected. After that, my HK USP 40 (which I shoot rather poorly). After that, I have no other guns. [sad] Yet... [wink]

The gun I've had the best luck firing is my friend's S&W .460 with an 8" barrel. The bullets go right where I expect them to.

I would say my Kimber Eclipse Pro II followed by my new S&W commander 1911. Second would be my S&W 6906.

This thread seems to say that 1911's are the most accurate. I tend to agree.

S&W 1911 SC......although I haven't shot the HK USPC .45 I just got or the Glock 23 yet...hopefully this week....but I am sure it will still be the 1911...I just LOVE Them!!!

Surprised even myself on this one, I recently had to re-up my CT armed guard (blue) card and scored a perfect 300 with my SP 101, only got a 240/300 with my 8-shot Taurus. I guess the one you use the most is the correct answer here.

Well, I would have to say I'm the most accurate with my Security-Six using .38 spl. for ammo. Which sucks because I hate wheel guns and don't shoot it often.

That does seem to be the most popular answer. I'll have to try one of those someday if someone at the range will offer to let me shoot theirs.

I'll let you shoot my Kimber. PM me if interested. We could probably hook up at the American Firesarms School.

That does seem to be the most popular answer. I'll have to try one of those someday if someone at the range will offer to let me shoot theirs.
I don't own one, but I've fired quite a few over the years and I will say that compared to most guns out of the box with no familiarity, they shoot where you point them...

Something I've only experienced with Sigs. Most guns take "some getting used to", but I can shoot as well with someone else's 1911 as I can with most any gun I own...

That said, if you dropped a M&P45 and a 1911 on the table and said, you can only have one for everything, carry/target - I'll take the M&P. Carries easier, couple more bullets, shoots just as well (with the !@#$ing MA trigger fixed) and 1/2 the price...

Last edited:
For me it’s my S&W 625 model of 1989, that said I had the opportunity last Saturday to fire a fellow NESer's S&W 500 and was amazed at the accuracy of it.

99.9% of the time I keep it on the paper 8.5x11 inch targets.

At defense distances of 22' or less I can keep it within a 4" circle all of the time when concentrating, probably grouping 2-3" or better if shooting real slow.

Speeding up to a defensive / double / triple tap shooting (or out to 35') I can keep to 4" about 80-90% of the shots. The rest are on the paper but off target.

My SW9VE and MP9C are the guns I'm most consistently accurate with...followed by PPS in 9.

As is the case with many I would imagine, sometimes I can be great with a gun - then have a bad day with it...gotta take it in stride.

I can usually keep the groups tighter with the Mosquito.

Back
Top Bottom