Which of your handguns do you shoot best?

When some of us say, "this gun is more accurate than that one"... do we really mean "I naturally shoot this gun better than that one"?

Well, I really mean that. I haven't run my collection through a Ransom rest to know which is more accurate, I just know which I shoot best.

Which would be a S&W 57, and a HK P7M8. [grin]

I have discovered that I can't shoot Beretta 92s or M9s accurately. I've tried 4 different M9 pistols in the last couple years, and bought a 92FS. They have all shot (at best, with a lot of work) average to very poorly for me, compared to the rest of the semiautos I own. I know it's not the Berettas - I've seen 3 of the M9s and my 92FS shot by other people, and they work great. Something about the interaction between me and the Beretta just doesn't work - hand size, sights, lefty - something. It's a shame, because it's a very well made pistol.

Well, I really mean that. I haven't run my collection through a Ransom rest to know which is more accurate, I just know which I shoot best.

Which would be a S&W 57, and a HK P7M8. [grin]

I have discovered that I can't shoot Beretta 92s or M9s accurately. I've tried 4 different M9 pistols in the last couple years, and bought a 92FS. They have all shot (at best, with a lot of work) average to very poorly for me, compared to the rest of the semiautos I own. I know it's not the Berettas - I've seen 3 of the M9s and my 92FS shot by other people, and they work great. Something about the interaction between me and the Beretta just doesn't work - hand size, sights, lefty - something. It's a shame, because it's a very well made pistol.

He's not kidding...When he takes his 92FS out of the case, he has a look on his face as if he were picking up a well used Kleenex off the floor...[grin] The P7M8 however - a different story...[wink]

I was the same way with a Glock 22. I tried for many thousands of rounds and a rebuild to love that gun - I never did. Serious like at times, but the gun never felt like it was a part of me. The HK USP45 however - a different story...

shoots the best

Def. any one of my 1911's, preferring my Springfield or a souped up S&W, but lets not forget about those dead on C-Z's, my 75-B full size and also the compact 75, (both in .9mm.) are a blast to shoot, or at least they make me look like i know how to shoot, which is good [grin]

Last edited:
For me, the most accurate pistol I've shot was a CZ that a guy at my club owns. Picked it up, pulled the trigger, hit the exact spot at which I was aiming.

Of our own, the one I seem to not be able to get within an inch or so is a S&W M&P 9 mm that we got for my wife.

Next to worst on the list is my Ruger Security Six .357. From 50 feet, I cannot count on doing any better than keeping the rounds on paper.

Second best is the Ruger Mark II 22/45, but that has a red dot scope, also purchased for my wife. The scope changes the story. With it, my groups are pretty small. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the rear to reassemble.

Incredibly, the one I seem to be the most accurate with is a S&W 642-2 with a 1.75 inch barrel. I seem to be able to almost always keep the rounds from it close to the middle of the black. It has the best trigger of all of the handguns, which is why I think it is so accurate.

I had an M1911 that was built in 1918 put back together. It had been made into a toy before WWII. Someone disabled it by taking the springs out of it. It falls somewhere around the Mark II Ruger. It's also the one that attracts the most attention when shot.

Last edited:
Def. any one of my 1911's, preferring my Springfield or a souped up S&W, but lets not forget about those dead on C-Z's, my 75-B full size and also the compact 75, (both in .9mm.) are a blast to shoot, or at least they make me look like i know how to shoot, which is good [grin]

Speaking of a blast and fun, have an LAR "Grizzly" Mark I in .45 Win Mag. Basically its an "oversized" 1911. Mechanics, breakdown, function and design are all the same. Bought it brand new in the early 80's and have had it ever since. Only get it out once or twice a year, but I do like it. It literally "fills my hand".

The piece has two bushings (both factory fitted)....one standard, one comp. Piece came through with an "oversized" bushing wrench to accomodate the comp. bushing. Millet sights were standard, as were rubber grips.

Still have a little of the original Win Mag rds., when Win was still selling them at 50 per box. Over the years the numbers per box decreased....if you could still get Win at all for the item. Do have some quality reloads from a person that is a fan of the piece, but use it sparingly. Yup, its outright fun, feels good (in my hand), and is accurate as hell. Could never understand why Mfgrs. let the .45 Win Mag die. Just my stupidity I suppose. [grin]

I think we should make a distinction here.

When some of us say, "this gun is more accurate than that one"... do we really mean "I naturally shoot this gun better than that one"?

The sights on my G20 are significantly off, but somehow I can shoot it better than almost anything else I've tried.

The sights on my G20 are significantly off, but somehow I can shoot it better than almost anything else I've tried.
I've found a couple of guns that unless I force myself to change distances, I will creep into a sloppy sight picture that is more "comfortable", but creates a triangle with the front sight, eye and target...

All fine and good, until the target distance changes and then that triangle will mean your shot is off.

Just be careful with a setup like that in terms of shooting at various distances. if it is compensating for pulling, jerking, bad posture, or whatever, that compensation might only work at a fixed target distance...

I've found a couple of guns that unless I force myself to change distances, I will creep into a sloppy sight picture that is more "comfortable", but creates a triangle with the front sight, eye and target...

All fine and good, until the target distance changes and then that triangle will mean your shot is off.

Just be careful with a setup like that in terms of shooting at various distances. if it is compensating for pulling, jerking, bad posture, or whatever, that compensation might only work at a fixed target distance...

Isn't all "zeroing" done at a fixed distance? After that, it is up to the individual to "adjust" to the different distances? Trial and error and practice at varying distances needs to be done. [wink]

Isn't all "zeroing" done at a fixed distance? After that, it is up to the individual to "adjust" to the different distances? Trial and error and practice at varying distances needs to be done. [wink]
Yup. I use my rifle shooting bag to "zero" and remove me from the equation as much as possible.

Once I am confident the sights are correct, then I can figure out why the ugly bag of mostly water behind them can't seem to shoot straight.[laugh]

The Sig is a natural fit for my hands/arms/eyes. The M&P is "pretty good", the 92 is a disaster (seems to be a finger length/trigger pull issue) and the 22A is dream (but does me no good since I can't carry it[wink]).

The M&P's "shortcoming" demonstrated to me why the Sig works. I believe the height of the sights relative to the top of my hand is higher on the Sig. With the M&P (without regular practice), the default position (natural point of aim) I find myself in when I just raise the gun without thinking is front sight post too high - rear of gun too low (just a little, but that's all it takes).

Hands down I'm better with my Sig P228 than any other handgun I've owned or tried. That's why it's my carry gun. It's a bit beat up cosmetically from being CC'ed for going on 8 years now. But it runs like a Swiss watch and I can shoot it not only accurately, but quickly.

Hands down I'm better with my Sig P228 than any other handgun I've owned or tried. That's why it's my carry gun. It's a bit beat up cosmetically from being CC'ed for going on 8 years now. But it runs like a Swiss watch and I can shoot it not only accurately, but quickly.

Holster wear is a beautiful thing. [smile]

Whatever SVI sent most recently.

In this case, my .40 Limited gun, graced with the new metal grip and all new internals and mag well. VERY slick.

If nothing else, I'll look trick. If you can't blind them with ability, scare them with equipment.

Back
Top Bottom