Which 9mm carbine?

Which 9mm carbine?

• Hi-Point 995

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Kel-Tec Sub 2000

Votes: 30 88.2%

• Total voters
I totally agree. I meant to imply that I thought $1400 was very reasonable for a suppressed AR9.
That doesn't include the suppressor, which I think was a gemtech lunar 9 that was around $600

That gun is high quality, so I don't think $1400 is that bad, but its more than I'd be willing to pay.

9mm carbine is the bane of my collection.

I looked and relooked at all of the options and decided to go with an AR9. What a frustrating experience that was. I was not happy with how it was coming together and ended up just selling off the parts.

I still don’t have one. Maybe one day I’ll escape this state and have better options.

Anyone have any experience with the Extar EP9 ? Just watched a video where the guy recommended it, he said it takes Glock mags and is only about $400.
Could this possibly be ok here?

If I had to chose between those two I'd pick the Marlin Camp 9.
I picked neither of those carbines. I think the Ruger PCC is the best thing currently offered. dollar for dollar it's a deal.
I have the Marlin Camp 9mm , and they are like finding a unicorn these days....no one has one for sale.
So there....get the Ruger or find a Marlin.

I love my PCC's.
Currently own:

Vector
AR9
MP5 Clone (omega)
Sub 2K

Previously owned:
CZ scorpion
Beretta CX4 storm

If I had to pick one it's the mp5 clone all day. It's the most fun to shoot by a mile, looks great, works great, turns heads and its straight out of an action movie. There's really something special about the roller lock platform thats hard to describe until you've shot one.

AR9's are great because everyone knows the AR platform. Plenty of cross compatibility, endless upgrades.
Vector is fun but too heavy. The mechanics are interesting- but not necessary on a semi-auto 9mm. Full auto or a 10mm/45 is where the recoil system is felt.
Sub 2k is the best budget option. It's cute and compact, has lots of upgrades available. Takes glock mags.

Scorpion is a nice alternative but never saw range time. Hard to find regular cap mags. Storm was just too big, but a nice shooter.

I love my PCC's.
Currently own:

Vector
AR9
MP5 Clone (omega)
Sub 2K

Previously owned:
CZ scorpion
Beretta CX4 storm

If I had to pick one it's the mp5 clone all day. It's the most fun to shoot by a mile, looks great, works great, turns heads and its straight out of an action movie. There's really something special about the roller lock platform thats hard to describe until you've shot one.

AR9's are great because everyone knows the AR platform. Plenty of cross compatibility, endless upgrades.
Vector is fun but too heavy. The mechanics are interesting- but not necessary on a semi-auto 9mm. Full auto or a 10mm/45 is where the recoil system is felt.
Sub 2k is the best budget option. It's cute and compact, has lots of upgrades available. Takes glock mags.

Scorpion is a nice alternative but never saw range time. Hard to find regular cap mags. Storm was just too big, but a nice shooter.

CZ scorpion Evo is easy to find mags:
Magpul mags

CZ brand mags

If you're looking locally, D&L Shooting Supply has mags and Scorpions. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I went with the CZ vs. other platforms... plenty of options for upgrades, parts, mags, etc.

I hate the shitty buttstock and the recoil pad that broke off and the silicone pad I replaced it with...that also broke off. So now it's bare metal into my shoulder.

The standard stock design is terrible. It's overbuilt, with a design that is not very user friendly. I made my own back when I had this rifle. 3D printed a minimalist stock and a rubber butt pad. I created a mold with the 3D printed part and poured a rubber compound similar to a hockey puck for the final part. So it was stiff enough to not bend, but still had a tiny bit of compression. The rubber butt stock pad was poured with a softer rubber. I actually think I used Flexseal for that part...lol. Didn't need to be too thick, as the stock itself had a little compression. The last pic was a test fit with the 3D printed version. Still folded and locked.

Cura.jpg Rubber Backing.jpg 20180327_084139.jpg Stock.jpg

Besides an AR in 9mm, the Hi Point and Kel Tecs are the only other PCC's out there on the market that I think are worth the money. The Sub 2000 because it uses the grip for the mag well and it folds, the Hi Point cuz cheap and works.

The Hi Point is probably going to be a more comfortable shooter given the heft and check weld, but the more practical one in terms of size and weight is the Kel Tec. The Kel Tec recoils pretty good tho.

Awhile ago I couldn't decide which I wanted more the 9MM or the .45 so i eventually acquired both Marlin Camp .45 and 9MM. The .45 is the winner with it taking 1911 mags , .45 has the scope on it. I tried the 9mm with a red dot too , Both guns are just a blast to shoot without all the extrakillyness black plastic parts on them. Pictures are from when I was searching for them , found them both on Gunbroker.com at fairly reasonable prices.

Attachments

• pix817184359.jpg
    pix817184359.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 11
  • pix964898757-2.jpg
    pix964898757-2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 10
Besides an AR in 9mm, the Hi Point and Kel Tecs are the only other PCC's out there on the market that I think are worth the money. The Sub 2000 because it uses the grip for the mag well and it folds, the Hi Point cuz cheap and works.

The Hi Point is probably going to be a more comfortable shooter given the heft and check weld, but the more practical one in terms of size and weight is the Kel Tec. The Kel Tec recoils pretty good tho.
The High Point is the Stacy Abrams of the PCC world, God! bulky and ugly as f***. What the hell is up with that butt stock. Good god!

I have a JP GMR-13 (GMR-15 is current). Great gun, runs well, but the handguard is a bit heavy for my taste. My next project will be to replace it.
I had a JP GMR 9mm SBR arrive at a shop on the day that shall live in infamy. The dealer could not transfer it to me (under the current thinking of the AGs edict, plus I would still need to wait for the stamp), so the dealer wrote out a check to JP for the retail price because he liked it so much. I haven't SBR'd a PCC yet, but I did get a JP upper/lower from inventory that was a gun, and used a Rock River conversion unit to accept Colt and converted UZI mags. Runs great; just does not have last round bolt hold-open with the converted UZI mags.

Back
Top Bottom