• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which piston carbine would you purchase?

Which piston carbine would you buy?

• FN Scar 16 - 50 shades of brown and an Ugg boot stock

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • HK MR556 - because HK hates you if you’re poor

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Sig Sauer MCX Spear 5.56 - The US Army can’t be wrong, right?

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • PWS MK116 - Pew pew tactical says buy it

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • LWRC IC-SPR - cheaper than an HK (not by much)

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • 5.56 is for beta twinks, get a man’s caliber rifle in 7.62

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Barret M82A1 .50 BMG - because bigger is always better, even if it isn’t a “carbine”

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Mall ninjas operating operationally would run something not listed above

Votes: 14 16.7%

• Total voters

mav

NES Member
So my HK SL8/G36 project is finally complete after many months of hunting parts, gunsmith work and shopping for a suitable optic. I have cash burning a hole in my wallet now.

Knowing that MA is likely to drop the ban hammer in January/February of 2024, which piston carbine would you purchase if you only had time/resources for one?

Yeah, I threw the Barrett M82 in there just because it’s on my bucket list of firearms, even though it isn’t a typical carbine It is also in the cross hairs for banning/ATF regulation.

No bullshit DI/piston arguments. I have DI AR’s, as well as piston systems. Money isn’t really an issue, especially as this will likely be my last “rifle” acquisition while still in MA. My exit from MA might take another 18-24 months so I want to make it count

Last edited:
I effing love my pws's

Would recommend those for piston

The only reason I'm out on hk if you have the money doesnt really apply to you

I have a ton of gen 2 pmags so feeding is an issue

Lwrc makes a really weird noise in the buffer tube or they did a few years ago

The spears are getting a lot of love online

Scars are oddly shaped but run really well

I effing love my pws's

Would recommend those for piston
Funny enough, they seem to be the cheapest option. Easy enough to find a PWS upper and lower for a decent price. Not that I care a whole lot, but under $2000 for a complete system compared to $2400ish for an LWRC and $3000+ for HK and FN. More money for ammo, accessories and optic, that’s why it’s there.

Funny enough, they seem to be the cheapest option. Easy enough to find a PWS upper and lower for a decent price. Not that I care a whole lot, but under $2000 for a complete system compared to $2400ish for an LWRC and $3000+ for HK and FN. More money for ammo, accessories and optic, that’s why it’s there.
Mine run great and their muzzle break is crazy

I have a 14 and a 16. I'm debating on trying to trade my 300 blackout danny d for an 11.5

Wait, what’s the feeding issue with the gen 2 pmags? Is this for the HK or something else?

Thats literally why magpul released gen 3

Get a Gucci DI. I’d say get a knights for street credit (not joking)

And I voted for the Barrett. Because .50 is 2x .223 (diameter/cal wise) and they don’t make a .501
I completely get it about Knights, but I have a complete BCM that is my go-to DI carbine. It just works. I might be convinced to go Knights M110 7.62 because f*** ya!

I completely get it about Knights, but I have a complete BCM that is my go-to DI carbine. It just works. I might be convinced to go Knights M110 7.62 because f*** ya!
If your gunna ball out on a .30 cal ar

May i suggest a nemo omen in 300 win mag

My go to is a home built bcm/spikes. Rock f’ing solid! And it’s far from my only AR.

I’m tempted to do a gucci just because. Knights comes to mind. But because f*** it, that’s why lol

i have a tavor x95 and it satisfies my piston urge.
an AR with a piston - well, i don't see any practical need for that. it would be very good for a full auto one, but, i do not have full auto capabilities, yet.

I have an Mr556 and a scar. I like the mr556 but love the Scar.
the M82 would be outstanding.

Last edited:
HK or the LWRC. Otherwise why bother?
if i would ever get an authentic HK i would hate to shoot it and would count every shot, and i hate making sacred cows out of tools.
what is more pathetic than to see an ad here of a nice HK with a notice - 'was never shot'? meeeh.

I have a thing for piston ARs. Of my piston ARs;

(HK MR556, HK416, POF P415 gen2, Caracal CAR 816, LMT MLC piston/Estonia, Bushmaster ACR, SCAR16, MCX)

I really like my CAR816, LMT Estonia, and POF P415 gen2 the most. Soft shooters, not a lot of gas back in the face suppressed, not heavy pigs. LMT probably my favorite followed by the CAR816. POF P415 out 416ed the HK416. Frank DeSomma was an excellent and brilliant engineer (RIP). Everyone talks HK416 greatness and I get it, (have a few myself) but even my 10.3 HK416 is a heavy pig. Stupid reliable but heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_2790.jpeg
    IMG_2790.jpeg
    995.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2793.jpeg
    IMG_2793.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

(HK MR556, HK416, POF P415 gen2, Caracal CAR 816, LMT MLC piston/Estonia, Bushmaster ACR, SCAR16, MCX)

I really like my CAR816, LMT Estonia, and POF P415 gen2 the most. Soft shooters, not a lot of gas back in the face suppressed, not heavy pigs. LMT probably my favorite followed by the CAR816. POF P415 out 416ed the HK416. Frank DeSomma was an excellent and brilliant engineer (RIP). Everyone talks HK416 greatness and I get it, (have a few myself) but even my 10.3 HK416 is a heavy pig. Stupid reliable but heavy.
Ive been eyeing an lmt mars but i heard they had qc issues

it is so unkind to push your suppressor galore straight into face of us poor MA prisoners. 😭😭😭
[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom