• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which piston carbine would you purchase?

Which piston carbine would you buy?

• FN Scar 16 - 50 shades of brown and an Ugg boot stock

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • HK MR556 - because HK hates you if you’re poor

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Sig Sauer MCX Spear 5.56 - The US Army can’t be wrong, right?

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • PWS MK116 - Pew pew tactical says buy it

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • LWRC IC-SPR - cheaper than an HK (not by much)

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • 5.56 is for beta twinks, get a man’s caliber rifle in 7.62

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Barret M82A1 .50 BMG - because bigger is always better, even if it isn’t a “carbine”

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Mall ninjas operating operationally would run something not listed above

Votes: 14 16.7%

• Total voters
If you're leaving in 1.5-2 years, why waste money on some silly MA compliant 10 round crap? Save up for the half-dozen space metal suppressors you are going to want to buy when you get to a free state. Seriously, when you get one you will want one for every gun you own. You will also need to by muzzle devices and stocks to free-state-ize your current rifles.

The Army is only buying 6.8mm Spears right, not 5.56 or 7.62?
They did purchase the initial order of .277 Fury MCX Spears, but there is consideration to also replace their fleet of 5.56 rifles with the MCX/MCX Spear LT.

Source: a guy I know that has a friend who has a cousin who was at a gun store who overheard another guy talk about his cousin saying this.

Aaah, "self-loading carbine of (the) Simonov system." I learned a thing!

Clearly, OP needs both.

Sadly, I never got one when they (and ammo) were still relatively inexpensive, and my collector drive just isn't there enough to get one now...
I had a Russian SKS. It lived in my safe for a couple decades, rarely seeing the light of day and only a couple times making it to the range. I sold it and don't miss it. YMMV.

Want proper piston rifle, get a Tavor. AR is a great platform but it does not mean you can futz with the basic formula and expect same great results.

So far, poll has the Sig SPEAR, then HK, then PWS.

I'll have to look at the Sig a bit more closely... I know what I'm getting with the HK, though the whole PMAG v2/3 thing was actually news to me. I like PWS, have run their brakes for years. Reviews on their piston guns seem good and they aren't particularly expensive. They may have overtaken LWRC in my book.

Piston?
AK.
Done.

I didn't exclude AK's above, but I had an Arsenal in 5.45x39 and ended up selling it a number of years ago. It was fine, but nothing special. Minute of man accuracy, the "cheap" ammo was corrosive and non-corrosive wasn't easy to find or cheap, and it didn't do anything better than any of a number of other carbines out there do. Sure, there is the NES Shovel AK meme, but reality was I wanted to standardize on a few calibers to maintain mag/ammo compatibility and 5.56/7.62 were it.

I'm glad I did because I haven't seen any 5.45x39 ammo in quite awhile. Ever since the Russia ban, supply has been difficult, even with US ammo companies like Hornady. Bottom line, I don't begrudge anyone an AK, but I'm not getting another one.

I didn't exclude AK's above, but I had an Arsenal in 5.45x39 and ended up selling it a number of years ago. It was fine, but nothing special. Minute of man accuracy, the "cheap" ammo was corrosive and non-corrosive wasn't easy to find or cheap, and it didn't do anything better than any of a number of other carbines out there do. Sure, there is the NES Shovel AK meme, but reality was I wanted to standardize on a few calibers to maintain mag/ammo compatibility and 5.56/7.62 were it.

I'm glad I did because I haven't seen any 5.45x39 ammo in quite awhile. Ever since the Russia ban, supply has been difficult, even with US ammo companies like Hornady. Bottom line, I don't begrudge anyone an AK, but I'm not getting another one.
Copy that.

For me the AK covers the reliable no matter what category. For AR's I'm good with direct impingement.

So far, poll has the Sig SPEAR, then HK, then PWS.

I'll have to look at the Sig a bit more closely... I know what I'm getting with the HK, though the whole PMAG v2/3 thing was actually news to me. I like PWS, have run their brakes for years. Reviews on their piston guns seem good and they aren't particularly expensive. They may have overtaken LWRC in my book.

I want a Spear but in 7.62. But in Mass that means retardomags.

Yeah, I like the B&T options as well. There are a few .45ACP options I'm interested in, including teh B&T APC45 and potentially doing an HK USC > USP conversion, but it won't likely happen while I'm in MA. I think PCC are cool, but niche. My wife and daughter (19) love shooting my Scorpion SBR because it is so light with little recoil. Compare a 6lb Scorpion to my 12lb G36, 14lb AR10, 10lb Tavor and 9lb AR15, when you're 5ft 4, 120lb, those weapons become a workout when fired unsupported.

Yeah, I like the B&T options as well. There are a few .45ACP options I'm interested in, including teh B&T APC45 and potentially doing an HK USC > USP conversion, but it won't likely happen while I'm in MA. I think PCC are cool, but niche. My wife and daughter (19) love shooting my Scorpion SBR because it is so light with little recoil. Compare a 6lb Scorpion to my 12lb G36, 14lb AR10, 10lb Tavor and 9lb AR15, when you're 5ft 4, 120lb, those weapons become a workout when fired unsupported.

I used to think a PCC would be good for home defense, but now I think the most likely group to bust through your front door is going to be jackboots in body armor, not gang bangers with TEC9s.

I still want one.

So my HK SL8/G36 project is finally complete after many months of hunting parts, gunsmith work and shopping for a suitable optic. I have cash burning a hole in my wallet now.

Knowing that MA is likely to drop the ban hammer in January/February of 2024, which piston carbine would you purchase if you only had time/resources for one?

Yeah, I threw the Barrett M82 in there just because it’s on my bucket list of firearms, even though it isn’t a typical carbine It is also in the cross hairs for banning/ATF regulation.

No bullshit DI/piston arguments. I have DI AR’s, as well as piston systems. Money isn’t really an issue, especially as this will likely be my last “rifle” acquisition while still in MA. My exit from MA might take another 18-24 months so I want to make it count

Back
Top Bottom