• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your favorite Carry Gun?

I have a Ruger LC9, and I'd love to say that I carry it a lot, but the convenience of the Keltec P3AT in my front pocket wins just about every day.

I'm amazed by the number of people who change their carry gun like my wife changes her shoes. I get that we're all enthusiasts here, we have a ton of different guns and we like shooting them all, but I don't think carrying a gun is a hobby.

I have one carry gun, I carry the same gun in the same holster in the same place every day. I train with that gun, or a backup gun just like it. There is never a question of which gun I'm carrying, is the capacity different, do I need to operate it differently, did I grab the right mags and ammo, etc, etc.

Everything else is a hobby, and I keep it segregated as such. It's cool to have a big gun collection, but when it comes to carry & home defense, I'd rather be a master of one gun than a jack of all.

Pocket carrying my Kahr PM9 is pretty damn convenient. Other than that, Sig P229 in an IWB holster

I carry a Kahr CM9. I feel it's a great conceal pistol. Identical essentially to the PM9. Trigger pull is a "long throw" but it's very light and smooth. Perfect for protection IMO.

It's carried in a pocket holster. Easy for drawing quickly. My only suggestion is, if you're going to carry then you better train to draw and fire quickly.

Since I got the Shield that's been my EDC. Being a large person, it's not as easy as you think sometimes to have a firearm and not be uncomfortable sitting, wearing a seatbelt, having your pants hang like a rapper. The little shield works for me right now with combating those issues. Before that it was a G27 or Smith 36.

Nice thing about the Shield 9, besides the carry comfort and light weight, is that you've got 8+1 on board and ready to go. That's pretty nice in such a small package.

Ever consider a revolver? Goes bang with any ammo every time. Here's my current carry. Colt Cobra 2" snubbie in 38 Special... Bianchi #5 Black Widow holster.
Drool... I love older Colt Revolvers. Very nice one...

I am considering a .357 with a four inch barrel as my next CCW addition. Does nobody carry revolvers with four inch barrels?
Talk to Brian at B&K in Natick. He's got a bunch coming in I believe.

I'm alternating between my S&W M36 in a pocket and my Ruger SR9c. All depends on required dress and daily activity.

Aloha

For the last year or so,
Sig 220/belt holster in the colder months
Sig 230 in a crossbreed supertuck for warmer weather, lighter clothing
Sig 226 in a crossbreed supertuck occasionally

And I shoot them all....a lot. Actually have doubles of each.

I have the p238 and love it for Pocket Carry. Very Little recoil and accurate, but you may not feel safe carrying Cocked and Locked. My larger carry is an old Smith and Wesson 3914. It is an all metal slim 9MM that holds 7 Rounds. It is accurate as hell. Little recoil due to being a metal gun and very reliable. It will eat any ammo. You can get a 39 variant 39, 3913(ladysmith) or 3914 (Blued) for around $399 Used. Mags are expensive at $35. I would not sell this gun for anything. On par with my Sigs IMO.

I'm amazed by the number of people who change their carry gun like my wife changes her shoes. I get that we're all enthusiasts here, we have a ton of different guns and we like shooting them all, but I don't think carrying a gun is a hobby.

I have one carry gun, I carry the same gun in the same holster in the same place every day. I train with that gun, or a backup gun just like it. There is never a question of which gun I'm carrying, is the capacity different, do I need to operate it differently, did I grab the right mags and ammo, etc, etc.

Everything else is a hobby, and I keep it segregated as such. It's cool to have a big gun collection, but when it comes to carry & home defense, I'd rather be a master of one gun than a jack of all.

While some people do change their carry gun with a little more whimsy, I think most people change only as dictated by necessity, usually manner of dress. From fall until late spring, I can get away with a full size auto with no problem, but in the summer a slightly lighter, smaller CCW might be the way to go. I understand what you are saying, though and I think less variance is better as a general rule.

S&W 1911 Compact Pro in a Desantis Intruder holster. In a small frame I get 7+1 rounds of 45ACP goodness. Just enough heft to keep recoil down, scandium frame is light enough to not make me tired...

Back
Top Bottom