• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your Ideal SBR Line Up

I'm an SOT so I made or bought most of them. All but 5 of the gun are post sample machine gun, but you can make all the guns in the pictures SBR's
I need to step my game up...

How do you like the 7.5" in 5.56 vs the 10.5"? I thought about going shorter but wasn't sure if it was worth it...

I almost forgot...how does that 7.62x39 AR treat you?

How about the pistol caliber barrel length? What's your favorite of those?

How do you like the 7.5" in 5.56 vs the 10.5"? I thought about going shorter but wasn't sure if it was worth it...

The 7.5in AR is loud and flashy, 10.5 in one is a little less so, you need a blast forward can on the front or else the 7.5 in will burn the hair on you arms off, the 10.5 on a little less so.
The 7.62x39 AR I haven't shot that much, it must not be that bad because I'm don't remember being traumatized from it, unlike the 7.5in AR in 5.56. I shot that yhe first time with a muzzle brake and it was unpleasant. The hair on my arms and face got burnt.

The 3in AR9 I like the best because I run a suppressor on it that is as long as the whole gun is, it makes it fun to shoot. The 8in is more civilized. The AR45 I just built so I haven't shot it yet.
Keep in mind that all of these are post sample machine gun and I shoot them on full auto

The 7.5in AR is loud and flashy, 10.5 in one is a little less so, you need a blast forward can on the front or else the 7.5 in will burn the hair on you arms off, the 10.5 on a little less so.
The 7.62x39 AR I haven't shot that much, it must not be that bad because I'm don't remember being traumatized from it, unlike the 7.5in AR in 5.56. I shot that yhe first time with a muzzle brake and it was unpleasant. The hair on my arms and face got burnt.

The 3in AR9 I like the best because I run a suppressor on it that is as long as the whole gun is, it makes it fun to shoot. The 8in is more civilized. The AR45 I just built so I haven't shot it yet.
Keep in mind that all of these are post sample machine gun and I shoot them on full auto
That makes sense, was wondering about the 7.62 mostly because it's touch and go whether 7.62 ARs like to feed or not

Here in the communism of MA I can't shoot anything suppressed, jealous of being able to shoot full auto as well...

That makes sense, was wondering about the 7.62 mostly because it's touch and go whether 7.62 ARs like to feed or not

Here in the communism of MA I can't shoot anything suppressed, jealous of being able to shoot full auto as well...
For the 7.62 AR I had bought some cheap RWB AR47 mags and they didn't feed for shit. I bought some better quality ones (Duramag) and it feeds good now.
My gunclub has a machine gun shoot twice a year and I supply the guns for the shoot, all of these guns will be there plus a bunch more. If you wanted to shoot full auto or suppresed, PM me and I can give you the details on the shoot. The first shoot this year is the beginning of June in Enfield NH.

Here are some pictures to inspire you.

AR types
5.56 with 7.5 in barrel
5.56 with 10.5 in barrel
7.62x39 with 8 in barrel
5.56 with 7.5 in barrel
Side one 300 bk with 8 in barrel

View attachment 858544

Pistol caliber AR's
RH 9mm with 3 in barrel
LH 45acp with 5 in barrel
Bottom 9mm with 8 in barrel
View attachment 858545
Some non AR SBR's
KP-44 in 9mm
Sten in 9mm
MP5 clone in 9mm
Uzi in 9mm
View attachment 858546

ATI MP40 in 9mm
Ruger 10/22
PPSH43 in 7.62X25
Yugo AK in 5.56
Side
Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54
View attachment 858548
Whats the blast like on that Mosin?

I’m an absolute sucker for short guns the shorter the better. But a 7.5 AR is just incredibly stupid from any sort of practicality standpoint, (at least in 556)

Does anyone know definitively whether you can swap uppers on a SBR, like from a 14” to a 10.5” ?
Yes you can “temporarily” change it an have multiple uppers. If you perfume to change the length or caliber you need to change it with the ATF. I also believe iirc you can put a 16” upper on a registered lower and cross state lines because it’s not in the sbr configuration. Again on a temporary basis like a weekend trip. I’m not a lawyer and am going off memory here. I’m just an idiot on the internet

Yes you can “temporarily” change it an have multiple uppers. If you perfume to change the length or caliber you need to change it with the ATF. I also believe iirc you can put a 16” upper on a registered lower and cross state lines because it’s not in the sbr configuration. Again on a temporary basis like a weekend trip. I’m not a lawyer and am going off memory here. I’m just an idiot on the internet
I read an article from a gun lawyers group that said you Can change barrel length without problems but Not calibers. Thanks.

@kingson - who makes the MP5 clone? Any issues with it?
PTR made the MP5 clone. I have a post sample trigger pack in it so it is full auto. The only issue I had with it is that after a little bit the magazines that came with it would not say in under fire. They would fall out. The magazines had a bunch of play in the mag well. I got some real H&K mags and the fit much better, without all the play and I haven't had a problem sense.

Nothing specific, but if you can’t register an ‘assault weapon’ I’m sure building a SBR would likely fall under that same category, since technically it is a new firearm
That’s the thing, I’m not a lawyer of any kind. But the AWB clearly defines an assault weapon as having a barrel 16” or greater in length. So with that definition an SBR wouldn’t fall under the classification of an assault weapon because it’s less than 16”.

In my understanding of the way it’s written an SBR would be considered “exempt”. I know others I have spoken with share this line of thinking. Right or wrong, who knows

So the best safe play in ma with the upcoming bill is to build a SBR?

I’m toying with a (real HK) MP5 SBR build. But $$$

I’d hate to have the bill pass and have to bury it…

What say you all?
After you get over the initial shock of the money spent on the weapon and the .gov permission slip and the costs associated with that, was definitely worth it.

After you get over the initial shock of the money spent on the weapon and the .gov permission slip and the costs associated with that, was definitely worth it.
A recurring dream of mine is that some day, NFA is repealed and found unconstitutional and all the $200 tax stamps I paid are refunded to me and I get a big check in the mail for the 50+ stamps I’ve paid.

That’s the thing, I’m not a lawyer of any kind. But the AWB clearly defines an assault weapon as having a barrel 16” or greater in length. So with that definition an SBR wouldn’t fall under the classification of an assault weapon because it’s less than 16”.

In my understanding of the way it’s written an SBR would be considered “exempt”. I know others I have spoken with share this line of thinking. Right or wrong, who knows
Well, Massachusetts also classifies pistols with magazines outside the grip, and forearms, as well as weigh over 50 ounces, as assault weapons, so good luck with your SBR loophole. Get out of MA.

A recurring dream of mine is that some day, NFA is repealed and found unconstitutional and all the $200 tax stamps I paid are refunded to me and I get a big check in the mail for the 50+ stamps I’ve paid.
The NFA as a whole will never be repealed or found unconstitutional by the courts, at least not with the current composition of the courts and Congress. Best we can hope for at the moment is to remove SBRs & silencers from the NFA.

Back
Top Bottom