• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your favorite Carry Gun?

My S&W 1911 is my carry gun every day. I usually carry in a Crossbreed super tuck or a Ka-bar quick draw fanny pack. On a very rare occasion I will throw it in my Maxpedition Fatboy but that would be unusual.

e5e3828dfa07a735da0e94c45703b48c.jpg

9a119d50c12fc88a36a98f50e6f3d181.jpg

1c1450d205886a20e892efee31d9ba5e.jpg

2a030c9780ba1c0f8a2e5c68756f3fcb.jpg

That is a sweet carry gun, and because you posted the vid in the other thread showing how fast you can get that sucker into action drawing from the fanny pack, you get a pass for the fanny pack. [laugh]

It is not for me, but I have to recognize what a well thought out, convenient and comfortable carry method you have come up with.. I carry my 229 OWB and have spent a lot of time practicing my draw and I think you can get your 1911 drawn a little faster.

That is a sweet carry gun, and because you posted the vid in the other thread showing how fast you can get that sucker into action drawing from the fanny pack, you get a pass for the fanny pack. [laugh]

It is not for me, but I have to recognize what a well thought out, convenient and comfortable carry method you have come up with.. I carry my 229 OWB and have spent a lot of time practicing my draw and I think you can get your 1911 drawn a little faster.
Thank you Fencer,
I have learned that 1 method of carry doesn't cover every aspect of my lifestyle. It is different for everyone I'm sure. The seasons, activities I'm involved in and general lifestyle dictates my method of carry.

Thank you Fencer,
I have learned that 1 method of carry doesn't cover every aspect of my lifestyle. It is different for everyone I'm sure. The seasons, activities I'm involved in and general lifestyle dictates my method of carry.

How have you found the your 1911 in terms of reliability? Do you find it has trouble with any specific ammo? I have 2 full size 1911's and love them, but have always stayed away from the Commander or compact sizes because I have always been told they can be finicky. I have never had a failure with my Sigs no matter what I have fed them

I'm looking for input on a carry gun. I was thinking about a PPK or a Sig 238. I was also considering a Glock 27, Shield, or SR9.

+1 on the Ruger SR9C...I've been carrying my full size MP9, and it's big and heavy, so I went looking for something more svelt. The lgs had just got one in the day before, and I handled it for a few minutes and fell in love. Tucks away nice and easy in a blackhawk IWB until my n82 pro gets here:sly: I put a couple hundred down range, including some JHP, and it's a dream to shoot, more accurate than I am out to 15 yards

Sent from an undisclosed location using twigs-n-berries

I rock a kel-tec P-11 in a custom leather pocket holster. I have worn it in a tux, heavy jeans, and shorts during the summer. It's the best option to have 11rds of 9mm in your pocket I have found.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This is an easy call: BOTH My Smith & Wesson 442, with +p law enforcement grade hollow points in my DeSantis Superfly pocketholster, easy quick draw and great lightweight firepower, hand rests on it whenever potential situation arises.....PLUS my Glock 26 "backup" cannon, in my Galco "calf" Lite Glove (I hate when its referred to as "ankle" lite - strap it to your ankle and you're in PAIN! LOL. It wraps around your calf & shin, not ankle! LOL), also with law enforcement grade hollow points, for when the quick 442 turns into a nutcase on a mission inside a McDonalds or whatever. I carry both everywhere I go, summer also (the 442 in shorts pocket, and G26 in my "cargo" pocket in my shorts. Need a belt usually to hold up your drawers LOL)

Last edited:
Seecamp California .32 ACP.

Adequate stopping power, very concealable, nice quality Made in USA handgun.

Family owned business, dedicated and helpful owner Forum.

Bought one - no regrets, ever.

I know I am going to get some crap for this but. I just received my LTC Class A no restrictions. I am looking for my very first carry weapon that was not provided for me by the military. I am about 6' 220, I have read all the post in this thread and it looks like there is no "one prefect" weapon to carry but from the experience I have gathered from here I was wondering if someone around my size and weight had any information on how hard or easy it is to carry a full size/compact weapon in normal life. Maybe a suggestion on a semi-auto as I think the carry capacity and reload speed on a revolver is not adequte for my wants. I am in MA so the weapon would have to be on "the list". Any suggestions would help.

My dad is closer to your size than myself. He really likes my new Shield. But he regularly carries a Sig P239 or a Walther PPK both in OWB holsters.

No problem man. Everybody has their own opinions though, so what helps the most is handling as many guns as you can. See what fits in your hand and what seems most concealable and in what position you plan on carrying. It all comes down to preference but you already knew all of this. Good luck and let us know when you buy something!

I carry a Springfield XD Subcompact with a 3" barrel IWB (they call the newer same-sized XDm just "compact"). I bought it when I lived in CA and brought it back with me, so that probably doesn't help people who live in MA now.

Esiah - I'm a bit shorter and lighter than you (5-9, 175), so I would think you'd be able to carry a full-size (4"+ bbl) semi auto without much issue.

I know I am going to get some crap for this but. I just received my LTC Class A no restrictions. I am looking for my very first carry weapon that was not provided for me by the military. I am about 6' 220, I have read all the post in this thread and it looks like there is no "one prefect" weapon to carry but from the experience I have gathered from here I was wondering if someone around my size and weight had any information on how hard or easy it is to carry a full size/compact weapon in normal life. Maybe a suggestion on a semi-auto as I think the carry capacity and reload speed on a revolver is not adequte for my wants. I am in MA so the weapon would have to be on "the list". Any suggestions would help.

First of all, the "list" is what dealers can sell new. It doesn't restrict private ownership and transfer of handguns that aren't on the list.

That being said, no one here can really give you one gun that will work best for you. Some questions to narrow it down: Do you want a safety or no? What type of trigger do you like (DA, SA, Striker)? Single stack or double stack? What caliber?

I'm 6' 200# and what is comfortable depends on the season, how much driving I'll be doing and the threat level. I feel comfortable carrying a Glock 19 in the winter. In summer I generally stick with a little S&W 380 or Glock 27. Don't discount a little pocket gun for those times when you're feeling to lazy to carry.

I'm 5' 11" and 210 pounds and I carry a full size pistol every day - I switched last year and except under rare circumstances, I do not intend to ever carry a compact again. I like the longer, more accurate barrel of a full size and I like how it feels in my hand (which translates to better shot placement).

Obviously YMMV, as usual, but I do stand by the old adage that the best carry gun is one you will shoot often enough to be proficient with it.

Love mine also, i actually sent it back to Ruger for some Peening pretty bad on Barrel and slide. They were really great to deal with and paid for shipping. Just need a good leather holster now

ive heard time and time again that their customer service is awesome

I'm looking for input on a carry gun. I was thinking about a PPK or a Sig 238. I was also considering a Glock 27, Shield, or SR9.

Between the PPK and 238.. I wo go for the 238. More reliable out of the box. But the question is a 1911 style safety vs double action, matter of preference. But the 238 is all around smaller.

G27,shield or sr9.. I'd opt for glock.

I would also look at the PPS as well as a j frame.

But it all depends on HOW you intend to carry and clothing options as to what will work best for you.

I went with the Kahr PM9. To add a little extra bulk to grip I added a Pachmyer Decelerator Grip, which I prefer the feel over the Hogue Handall Jr... it's a better fit too (it doesn't slip down over the magazine and seems to stick better). For IWB, I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and for pocket carry I use a Blackhawk Size 4 Pocket Holster. In the winter, while out and about, I carry it in the hidden pocket of my 5.11 5-in-1 Jacket.

It's a great pistol for smaller framed guys like myself (5'7" 130lbs); vanishing under a untucked t-shirt or in a loose-fit pants pocket. It's very accurate out to 25 yards... maybe farther, but I've only consistently shot 5" plates that far out.

Mine seems picky on ammo though since some brands are slightly longer than others by a millimeter or two, which seems to make a serious difference with at least my gun. It runs Hornady Zombie-max and Critical Defense smoothly without issue. But I have had feed issues with Remington Golden Sabers, Winchester PDX1, and a few FMJ brands.

Unless you have your heart set on leather, consider a n82 tactical pro for iwb. I got one a couple of weeks ago when I got my sr9c, and it is perfect. Rides just right with this gun, and i hardly notice it throughout the day.

Sent from an undisclosed location using twigs-n-berries

Back
Top Bottom