What's your favorite Carry Gun?

I'm looking for input on a carry gun. I was thinking about a PPK or a Sig 238. I was also considering a Glock 27, Shield, or SR9.

I'm looking for input on a carry gun. I was thinking about a PPK or a Sig 238. I was also considering a Glock 27, Shield, or SR9.

I personally carry and prefer the Glock 27. A little bulky at times but you get use to it. I like having a .40 cal

What's your budget? Do you plan on carrying pretty much all the time?

I carry a Kahr PM40 in the summer and Smith & Wesson M&P compact 357 in the winter. I have an M&P Shield 40 on order as an alternate piece as well, the perfect carry gun IMHO.

It comes down to what you like. Put a bunch of carry guns in your hand & decide what fits, ez of operation etc. I've the shield in 40, shoots well for what it is & handles very much like the full size M&P. Same minor issue with the heavy gritty trigger but more noticable with the thin single stack mag. I perfer to have the gun tuned then having the trigger spring replaced. Feeds everything I have put in it. Good job S&W

Last edited:
The two guns you mention are both fine, but pretty different. What are you comfortable with? Single or double action? Want a safety or no?

My choice: Glock 27 or S&W BG380 in the summer.

G26 or G19. Mostly the G26 though. The M&P 9C carries nicely too and is much cheaper than any Glock in MA.

Glock 19 all day every day, sometimes I throw the 30SF in the mix.
Keep in mind, if your going with a sub compact Glock (26,27) if you add a pinky extension on the mag, it will print the same as a 19,23.

Ruger LC9 until I get my new holster, then Ruger SR9c. The SR9c, is a great firearm, easy to shoot and carry, less expensive then the Glock OR the M&P

You need to break down your carry need's/want's first. A 238 and 27 for instance are going to be like night and day in the carry world.

If you plan to carry OWB and your type of work,dress,lifestyle allows; carry as big as you can, ie 23,27,SR9, M&P Etc
If you plan to carry IWB and your type of work,dress,lifestyle allows; think Shield, or alike

The 238 is in the pocket category and I think there are better options for pocket carry.

At the end of the day if your not comfortable, "Wearing" the gun it will end up sitting in the safe........

Last edited:
I'm a John Browning fan. I alternate between my 1911PD and my High Power, depending upon whether I'm in a 9mm or .45ACP kind of mood.

I'm 5'11 150lbs so I'm pretty thin. Unless I'm wearing a hoodie a Sig p239 prints very easily on me. I'm looking for a summertime carry gun, something I can wear with a tank top. I was thinking maybe something that will fit in my pocket but then I started looking at different carry methods OWB vs IWB. It seems like IWB may be best for me since I am so skinny....? I've got no experience with it but it looks like since the gun is closer to your body that the same gun IWB may print less than OWB, true? Once I get a new job lined up I plan on going to as many gun stores and probably KTP just to hold and fondle as many guns as I can, but before I do I'd like some input from you experienced members. Specific models I should look at. I'm taking note of what is in this thread already. As much as I want a Glock 19 or 26 as a carry gun I fear they may be too bulky for my build. I'd like to stick with a 9mm but I'd go .380 if I had to.

/threadjack

I'm 5'11 150lbs so I'm pretty thin. Unless I'm wearing a hoodie a Sig p239 prints very easily on me. I'm looking for a summertime carry gun, something I can wear with a tank top. I was thinking maybe something that will fit in my pocket but then I started looking at different carry methods OWB vs IWB. It seems like IWB may be best for me since I am so skinny....? I've got no experience with it but it looks like since the gun is closer to your body that the same gun IWB may print less than OWB, true? Once I get a new job lined up I plan on going to as many gun stores and probably KTP just to hold and fondle as many guns as I can, but before I do I'd like some input from you experienced members. Specific models I should look at. I'm taking note of what is in this thread already. As much as I want a Glock 19 or 26 as a carry gun I fear they may be too bulky for my build. I'd like to stick with a 9mm but I'd go .380 if I had to.

/threadjack

I can only get through half of your postings, I try to read it all, but your avatar is WAY too distracting!

I carry a Ruger LC9. Plenty slim and comfortable for my skinny ass.

I have heard it said that the best carry gun will be the one you actually carry.....

Did that get to deep on anyone?

If you stick w/9mm (which is wise) think single stack. IMO the bigger and heavier the gun, the wider the holster need's to be to displace the weight, ie Milt Sparks or Crossbreed style. For smaller,lighter guns I prefer thin Kydex in a minimalist configuration. Check out : Sentinel Concealment Gear - Custom Kydex Holsters Super comfortable holsters. They are pro grade and very reasonable priced. IMO the smaller,lighter guns just don't need the extra support that the others offer.........

Currently it's my Sig 238, just too easy to put it in my pocket and go.

I also have been known to carry my glock 19 fairly regularly.

I want to get a sig 938, but would prefer to try one first, or at least get a first hand account of how it handled. Has anyone taken one to the range and feels like giving a report?

Glock 26 with a flat bottom magazine if carrying IWB. Ruger LC9 if pocket carry. LC9 with pocket holster fits comfortably in most of front pockets in my pants. The Glock 26 is nice since you can carry a pre ban high cap Glock 17 or 19 mag as a backup.

I used to carry my glock 19 and 26, but after getting the shield.. its been shielding me 90% of the time, and im a glock fan girl, but the shield is one amazingly thin gun, i can carry that gun with just a tank top on. where as i usually need a cover garment with the rest.

I used to carry my glock 19 and 26, but after getting the shield.. its been shielding me 90% of the time, and im a glock fan girl, but the shield is one amazingly thin gun, i can carry that gun with just a tank top on. where as i usually need a cover garment with the rest.

You're making me feel like I should get one.

Back
Top Bottom