What are your reason(s) against background checks?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Without people going off the deep end I legitimately would like to know your reason(s) to be against universal background checks? Could be a good reference post for people who have this discussions with antis.

For the record I'm not for them either as I think it's a constitutional infringement, but what are your reasons?

Same thing, direct infringement.

Even if one is a believer in reasonable restrictions (I'm generally not, I think it's bullshit- an example of a reasonable restriction to me is not firing your gun in the air in the city or murder being illegal. ) The problem with NICS etc. is the system falses so f***ing
much it ends up depriving people of their rights. Say a woman wants to buy a gun from her friend to protect herself from a shitty ex or
something. She goes to a gun store (as forced by law under most of these UBC proposals) and fails the BG check because NICS falses and
causes a false denial. Now it will take her MONTHS to resolve it and clear her name. THIS IS PUNISHMENT WITHOUT DUE PROCESS OF LAW! it's literally that simple, and I don't care about the fact that it only happens 1% of the time, or whatever it is. It's one person too many. It's not like she can just wait around the gun shop while her denial review is escalated to a supervisor who can expediously clear the false denial.

Also, there's a deprivation of rights in play- what if that woman needed to buy that gun on thanksgiving, christmas, 4th of july, etc... yeah good luck
getting to an FFL that's open or is even willing to come in to do a transfer. So now you deprive rights because of this "dealer" requirement in a lot
of UBC cases. It's not like it's likely to be a self service portal used by gun owners.

Plus the whole goddam thing is a joke- anyone who can obtain decent looking fake identification can basically defeat the entire system just by being
a ghost. NICS doesn't "know" everything and everyone. It only knows "a handful of crap about known convictions and dispositions". Whats a good fake ID cost these days? few hundred bucks? Maybe a grand if you get fancy, etc.

Maybe it's my imagination but I don't see any of these pols pushing UBC to putting up a bill that would have a recurring budget item asking for millions
and millions a year to properly fund such a thing, to even make a half assed attempt at doing it properly. Nor do I see pols demanding it in their legislation.

The other problem with UBC is many states have UBC proposals that will make things like loaning someone a gun even for very short term use,
completely illegal. That, by itself, is mind numbing. Want your brother to borrow your shotgun when he comes to visit- NEIN! Waffen SS says
he has to get a "Transfer" through a dealer because now they've massaged that temporary loan into a transfer requiring a UBC.

It's just too unwieldy to the extent that pretty much any UBC proposal ultimately ends up f***ing with peoples rights, none of these proposals are designed with the intent of protecting rights. Not a single one.

There's also the big obvious elephant in the room- what problem are they trying to solve, and would a UBC contribute to that? chances are good that
the answer is no. A lot of recent spree shooters or whatever, went through the legal process, and passed the background checks! What do people think that UBC is going to do in that case? Oh they'd pass the same BG check on a private sale, then still kill people. Makes a lot of sense... [rofl]

So, end result, very few, if any, bad guys are stopped, but everyone else (the 100 million people or whatever it is now) that didn't kill anyone with their firearm are now being collectively punished every time they want to buy, sell, or borrow a gun.

-Mike

Are we talking about UBC's to decide which god given rights you have that cant be taken away by the government, or UBC's that delve into your social posts a-la china to assess how acceptable you are to the government?

I am not against them per se, I am against them if they are being used as a tool to harass, delay or otherwise encumber lawful buyers and gun owners.

Pretty much this. Odds are good that anti-gun types will intentionally design such a system to be as cumbersome as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if such a scheme required an FFL to handle all transactions.

If the left/liberals/antis want background checks so badly then then should be forced to pay for them. Tell them funds will be diverted from their favorite .gov program.

A registry of who owns what guns. It might be illegal for them to create a registry, but they would do it anyway. Laws don't apply to the ruling class.

There is already a registry of who has what and where they live and it is totally illegal against the Constitution.

But that's what we have it's called a LTC and a FA10.

I've been out of the game for a while so this is a good refresher for me. In MA we're subjected to background checks just to get our license to carry. So, we've already allowed our freedom

Whats the deal - say in VT or Maine? You don't need a state issued license to carry correct? So as long as you have a pulse you can purchase a fire arm? Private sale or at a store? Serious question..... flame away.

If someone with criminal intent wants a firearm and knows they won’t pass a background check or has a background check and is denied, that doesn’t mean they can’t find a way to obtain a firearm. This is just a false sense of “security” so the left can move onto the next meaningless restriction.

There is already a background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System; the problem is that the database is not accurate. What kind of additional background check is needed?
but, but, but... the gun show loophole (tired of hearing that one yet)

We pass an extensive background checks at every license renewal in this state. We pass a shitty BG check for every gun we buy from a FFL. Bad guys don't get this same scrutiny.
This is a first step in stopping FTF transactions IMHO.

Both of the latest shooters obtained their guns legally right? Yet one in Ohio was a nut case with a history that went unreported. I hope those responsible sleep with nightmares for the rest of their lives. The Texas shooters' mother comes out after the fact. How friggen nice of you.

I've been out of the game for a while so this is a good refresher for me. In MA we're subjected to background checks just to get our license to carry. So, we've already allowed our freedom

Whats the deal - say in VT or Maine? You don't need a state issued license to carry correct? So as long as you have a pulse you can purchase a fire arm? Private sale or at a store? Serious question..... flame away.
In NC, just a driver’s license to buy a long gun. Background check is a given at stores.
10 dollar Permit for buying handguns if you don’t have a concealed carry permit.

Face to face sales, nothing is needed.

Back
Top Bottom