• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Unlicensed concealed carry

Derek, you heartless b*****d! Using his own posts and simple logic to discredit the latest absurdity. You're also stealing my act.

Are you aware it's illegal to practice law without a license? [wink]

I am aware. He lied time and time again. If I was wrong with banning him please let me know. [wink]

Let's paint a scenario . .
I'll paint a third scenario -

You are in an altercation not involving a firearm, however, the other party says "he threatened me" even when you didn't. Guess who has the bigger problem and the legal fees to deal with?

It's all about getting lost in a crowd of one.

He could have just admitted it and perhaps still be a part of the boards. Too bad for him now.

So, as far as I know what is it? 3 years of NEshooters existance and you had to ban 2 people? (well, one since jelly was re-incarnated) That's pretty good.

It's actually been somewhat more than that. Most of them were so obviously over the top that they were banned before most people were even aware of them. Then there were and still are all the spammers and bots, but they don't really count as "people".

The problem wasn't so much that he lied, as that he was constantly tempting less well-informed readers to participate in actions that would likely have ended up in their joining him as prohibited persons (once they finished their vacation at Club Fed).

Ken

Well done Derek.

For the record when antiqueweapons.org was previously asking for information regarding his prior felony convictions I replied quoting him and informing him that under NH law his Federally antique (pre-1898) handguns were considered firearms in NH, he then sent me the following PM:

AntiqueWeapons.org said:
Hi. Any chance you could remove the quote from me in this post; http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=204550&postcount=8 so that there is nothing there that can put me in jeopardy.
I am contacting some FFL dealers to dispose of them so that I will be in compliance with law & don't want this thread to come bite me in the ass later. Thanks.

If he wasn't a convicted felon he would have no need to dispose of his firearms and try to cover up the fact.

Edit to add: what I removed from that post was a reference to his admission of being a felon in that or another thread which he later edited out.

Last edited:
edit: not really relevant to this discussion, was just talking about his myspace profile.

Last edited:
That's happened already.

I was walking down the street, went into a store to buy cigarettes & a soda. Bought my stuff & then left. As I was walking back home I heard sirens behind me. When I turned around to see what was going on I saw the 3 cruisers at the store I just left & was wondering what happened there after I left until I saw the clerk pointing his finger at me.

I saw the officers begin entering their vehicles so I decided to stop walking & just lit a cigarette. They were nice gentleman who approached me in an apologetic manner & they explained to me that the clerk was freaked out & called them & they advised me that they're only stopping for appearances so the clerk don't think they're ignoring him. We just chatted for a couple minutes.. Gave em my name, address, etc & they were on their way.

So the police did not run a check that he was a prohibited person openly carrying??

So the police did not run a check that he was a prohibited person openly carrying??

It's not that simple. First of all, not every LE interaction involves an ID,
warrant, or background check. Second of all, often times the person's
records are not readily available. There are numerous holes in the system(s)
at play that sometimes will obscure someone's status. It's not as if they paint
a big red stripe on someone's driver's license or state ID when they're a
prohibited person. A little bit of digging by a LEO or investigator often
will expose that, however. Some of these people even somehow pass NICS
(either by fraud or by the system being broken)... of course eventually it all comes
back to bite them in the ass, usually years later, especially in anti locales. For
example, a license private investigator in MD got whacked with a FIP charge
because he owned firearms, and was involved in an assault 20+ years ago that
resulted in him getting a felony conviction. Basically his status was discovered
due to a fishing expedition of sorts by MSP.

-Mike

Back to the OP...

X * Y + (1-X) * Z

X = probability of getting caught carrying unlicensed
Y = penalty for getting caught carrying unlicensed
Z = costs of carrying unlicensed

Depending on the values for these figures, this equation gives you an overall cost for carrying unlicensed. The Y term includes the outcomes of being caught carrying while unlicensed, whether legal, physical, emotional, financial, relational, etc. The (1-X) term refers to all the times that you are not caught carrying unlicensed. The Z term includes any emotional distress experienced by you while carrying unlicensed; such as anxiety about the possibility of being caught.

The values for Y and Z are arbitrary, except that they should be relatively accurate - i.e., Y is probably going to be a bigger number than Z, unless you suffer from an anxiety disorder.

A * B + (1-A) * C

A = probability of needing a gun
B = penalty for needing but not having a gun
C = costs of not carrying a gun

Depending on the values for these figures, this equation gives you an overall cost for not carrying unlicensed. The B term includes the outcomes of being in a situation where you need a gun but don't have one, whether legal, physical, emotional, financial, relational, etc. The (1-A) term refers to all the times that you don't need a gun. The C term includes any emotional distress experienced by you while you are unarmed; such as anxiety about the possibility of needing a gun.

The values for B and C are arbitrary, except that they should be relatively accurate - i.e., B is probably going to be a bigger number than C, unless you suffer from an anxiety disorder.

To top it off, the values Y, Z, B and C must be relatively accurate - i.e., B is probably going to be a bigger number than Z, unless you suffer from an anxiety disorder.

Now you can determine the value of each equation and compare them. If one equation is much larger in value than another, this might indicate a particular course of action, while similar values might indicate flipping a coin.

I do not recommend nor condone breaking any laws.

Carrying a firearm without a license is a great way to end up in jail for a LONG time. There are plenty of other very effective ways of defending yourself: mace, blades, etc. These ways are arguably more effective.. but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms..

Carrying a firearm without a license is a great way to end up in jail for a LONG time. There are plenty of other very effective ways of defending yourself: mace, blades, etc. These ways are arguably more effective.. but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms..

+1

Unless you're really knee-deep in the grime living with threats on a daily basis, carrying unlicensed just isn't worth the risk.

Just to chime in on the open carry debate, I think it's a very bad idea.

You never let your enemy know what your assets are, never reveal your weaponry before they are brought to bear on your target, that's just bad strategy...shit, Sun Tsu knew that thousands of years ago. Giving up the element of surprise for what will probably be a negligible deterrent to the type of seasoned, intent criminal you'd have to worry about taking you out in the first place is a bad trade-off...of course, that's IMO.

+1 Derek!

Derek, you heartless b*****d! Using his own posts and simple logic to discredit the latest absurdity. You're also stealing my act.

Are you aware it's illegal to practice law without a license? [wink]
[rofl][rofl] There's humor in them thar hills [rofl][rofl]
Now I have to take back my other wise-crack [smile]

I am under the impression, at least in Massachusetts, that although an "antique" may not be considered a firearm in your home, if loaded and carried it is illegal unless you have the proper license.

Would one of our lawyers correct me if I'm wrong?

IANAL, but yes you are correct. If an "antique" handgun is "carried", you MUST have a LTC-A/ALP! It was a court case and the cite is here somewhere in the Gun Laws forum.

Just my thoughts on carrying on a restricted LTC

First, I am not telling anyone to break the law, I will leave the responsibility for you actions firmly on your shoulders. I will however relate some experience.
I have a friend who owned rental properties in Fall River a few years ago. Fall River is not a gun friendly city, most licenses are issued as target/hunting only or some other such nonsense. Fall River also has some pretty bad neighborhoods, some of which contained my friends rental property. While his LTC was restricted he did confide that he may have occasionally carried while picking up rents.
Whether or not you agree with that decision is entirely up to you, but IMHO sometimes, as the saying goes "It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" .

I am under the impression, at least in Massachusetts, that although an "antique" may not be considered a firearm in your home, if loaded and carried it is illegal unless you have the proper license.

You are correct.

Years ago, one of my Sgts (Special/Reserve PO) told me that when he went to pickup rent money at his apartments in Brockton, he kept the gun on the seat beside him! Of course none of us had restricted permits, but the area is so dangerous that even a holster might take too much time to get to it while seat-belted in a car.

You are not wrong. Carrying even an antique pistol as you describe, without a valid LTC, is illegal in MA.

If "picking up rents" involves something other than a visit to your PO box, you're probably dealing in a high risk segment of the marketplace and may wish to reconsider your strategy.

Wow.. interesting thread.

As for the original question, I defer to some of the previous comments about "doing what you have to do".

Other than that...

Nice work Derek. You're still the King. [rockon]

[popcorn]

If "picking up rents" involves something other than a visit to your PO box, you're probably dealing in a high risk segment of the marketplace and may wish to reconsider your strategy.

When renting to low income people in low income neighborhoods, good luck finding more then a few who will regularly mail in the rent.

Back to the OPs question. IMO you need to take each situation on its merits, and weigh up your own risk/benefits. I rarely travel into bad areas, the risk of confronting a BG for me is very low. It is probably statsitically much more likely that I'll be stopped by a cop for some reason (and the concealed gun found) than I would ever need to use it in a defensive situation. So in my case the risk of carry without a license would be too great. IF however I had to visit a really bad neighborhood then that risk/benefit balance may shift.

[laugh2]
Where is a "bad area" ?
show us a city or town in the US where theres never been a crime committed

Ive lived in Boston for over 20 years, and its been called a "bad area" (?) , yet I have never been the victim of a crime ( except for my denied rights by the State Government )
I have however, had my vehicle stolen in Newton before, who would've think that could happen (?) Newton in recent years has been named "Safest City in America" ( or 1 of the top 5 safest city to live in America )
Many also considered North Andover, MA a "good area" , but look at the news from November 15th 2007

Bad guys are , everywhere.

So long as the firearm is concealed properly (deep concealment, maybe even in a purse or bag as opposed to on the person), detection is very unlikely.

Given that detection is unlikely, the only time it would be known that you’re carrying a firearm would be if you had to use it.
But it certainly is possible. I remember one day when I was using pocket carry while visiting with some friends. I crossed my legs and my spare magazine fell out of the pocket of my dockers, right in front of the now wide open eyes of our host. I suppose you may consider yourself to be "perfect" in your concealment. I suggest that the reality is otherwise.

I carry when I legally can. Realistically, given where I work and live, my relative risk of being assaulted is quite low. No, it is not zero, but quite low. And I have other things that I can use to defend myself without violating university policy and state law.

The reality is that if I was caught carrying on campus, I would lose my job, go to jail (where someone of my slight stature would NOT fare well at all), and quite possibly lose my house and career. Personally, I believe that outcome is a much higher probability for me than to lose my life in an assault.

Last edited:
To me, when it comes to carrying or not, there are two clear issues:

(1) are you legal in carrying a concealed gun? In MA, this means Class A - LTC, no restrictions. Also, there are mandated areas in which you cannot carry, e.g. court houses, schools.

(2) are you 'comfortable' in carrying a concealed gun, and I don't mean physically comfortable (that's important, too)? Your mindset here is very important. Remember, if you pull your gun out of your holster, you had better be fully prepared to use it, and know when you can legally (admittedly, sometimes a gray area) show your gun.

That's my 2c worth. [smile]

But it certainly is possible. I remember one day when I was using pocket carry while visiting with some friends. I crossed my legs and my spare magazine fell out of the pocket of my dockers, right in front of the now wide open eyes of our host. I suppose you may consider yourself to be "perfect" in your concealment. I suggest that the reality is otherwise.

How'd that turn out for you?

Back
Top Bottom