• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Carry

You say “someone police officers” but what does that mean? They all receive the same training after all.
That is completely meaningless, an officer's mindset with regards to peoples ownership/carry of guns varies radically. The law and the training don't determine someones ideas of discretion.

Particularly in this region. I've been stopped by at least one cop for a minor traffic violation, and based on his extreme reaction to the data ping off my LTC, i would not want to see what kind of shit/hassle that kid would do to an open carrier.

Mostly because I’m more afraid of cops than criminals.

That is a great point. I, you, anyone are more likely to get smoked by a cop than by a criminal. Sadly the cop will get cleared, get a donut, a raise and most importantly zero consequences for their actions.

That is a great point. I, you, anyone are more likely to get smoked by a cop than by a criminal. Sadly the cop will get cleared, get a donut, a raise and most importantly zero consequences for their actions.
Are we trading our open carry barbecues for concealed carry coffee and danishes?

Is it too early in this thread to suggest relocation to a less restrictive state?

I see pistols openly carried literally every time i go into town.

Speaking of “literally” - anyone heard from @Evadd lately?
OP is 21 and a non-resident

He seems to be excited to practice his rights and perhaps help advance them (for himself and others) where possible

It sounds like there might be a little "freak out the squares" in there, too. I can respect this, I've done my share of it. Rarely in a way that risks arrest, nor without a basic understanding of those risks

**Guys, this is the kid(21yo) that can carry in almost all fifty states with his amassed collection of permits.**

OP,
you have already achieved what none/most of us can even dream of. Congrats.
Don't F it up because open carry is “cool” or puts out a certain message
truth is that open carry is not really necessary around here, MA will pull a permit without even thinking about it.

If it's legal in your state, just make your decisions based on that and live your life.

All sorts of arguments for and against it. Who cares. Do your thing.

This is kinda like the transgender movement….:. Open carry will never be accepted unless it is seen in public on the day to day, Then eventually it will be normalized. So by all means let get the ball rolling. We’re all rite behind you….. but you first.

OP is 21 and a non-resident

He seems to be excited to practice his rights and perhaps help advance them (for himself and others) where possible

It sounds like there might be a little "freak out the squares" in there, too. I can respect this, I've done my share of it. Rarely in a way that risks arrest, nor without a basic understanding of those risks
Point taken; I didn’t connect the dots.

I remember a news story years ago about a liquor store owner OCing a revolver in one of those fine battle zone areas of Boston. Has to be 20 years ago. More recently I worked in Manchester NH and only ever saw one lad open carrying and that was in Shooters Outpost. When I first got here some of the old timers had rifles and shotguns hanging in pickup trucks, but that was the mid eighties. I’m here 37 years and it’s not even close to the country I came out too.

Man Killed after his Legal-Carry-Pistol is Stolen out of His Holster​

I'd more more concerned about this type of scenario going into that war zone.

Serious question here. As some of you know I lived in MA and advocated for our rights after Newtown, etc. I also moved to NH and had an LTC in MA as a business owner. I still have family in MA. I currently live in TX. I would not be opposed to talking with someone about getting a non resident LTC in MA and open carrying if I knew my "case" would be taken up by a group like Comm2A and not cause me issues with my home state. I think, unlike some of the cases we see argued, that I would be a "good defendant."

I think it may have been Massad Ayoob who wrote years ago that Open Carry could get you into some legal jeopardy based on the “reasonable person“ doctrine. Simply put, if you put a “reasonable person“ in fear of death or grave bodily harm, you are guilty of the crime of simple assault. We all know that panicking supermarket Karens will call 911 at the mere suggestion that a gun is present.

I honestly believe that the only reason the concept of open carrying exists in Massachusetts law is for armed security guards, armored car drivers, and the like.

That being said, when I am in a free state and I see people open carrying, I smile. Culturally, it’s just not accepted here. Damn shame.

Legally if youre just minding your business while oc-ing Im not sure there's any issue with it. My concern would be liberal retards maliciously swatting with bs omg-man-with-a-gun calls, ghetto goblins trying a snatch and dash or attempting to provoke a response.

Depending on what you look like, most may assume youre a cop as well and more likely to leave you be?

Overall, legal but not advisable imo.
Karens called the police when they saw beaver chewing on trees along the rail trail. They whine about a pile of sand on the side of the road.

If they see your gun, you are f***ed. Even if they don’t call, you will be labeled as the guy who carries a gun, which is not a good thing to be associated with in the Karen world.

Open carry brings a whole slew of problems with few of any benefits.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that the only reason the concept of open carrying exists in Massachusetts law is for armed security guards, armored car drivers, and the like.

This.

But I also believe that the vast majority of MA sheep who do see a gun, especially on a well-dressed, reasonable looking person, are overwhelmingly likely to assume the person's a cop. Because most either don't know carry is legal, or assume it must be a tiny tiny subset of people who are licensed.

It's why I don't worry about printing.

As someone who has been detained, with the Popo's guns drawn and a 4-5 cruiser response, over a pistol seen while putting on a suit coat I can recommend no to open carry.

Evening news for open carrying? I think you’re being a bit hyperbolic. I find it hard to believe even the most diehard liberals would panic at the sight of a holstered firearm by someone not wearing a police uniform.
You'd be wrong. The 911 call was something to the affect "well dressed men carrying guns running into the building". I got out of my car, reach in for my suit coat, put it on and walked into the building. I was the only EDC there.

If you chose so search for my story here on NES. The officers from the same dept, same shift, had different opinions as to what, if any, fault there was and who to blame. I drove away in my own car.

But yeah, you go ahead and try it.

When I used to have to drive on 114(five years ago), in the Andover area was a busy gas station. The owner open carried everyday.
Do what you want to do OP. Nothing on your LTC says concealed but it is always a good idea to pick your battles wisely
When the Covid 19 Lockdowns started, we were an exempt business deemed essential. We had a huge barricade across the front entrance that stated we our open, call into the office and we will bring it out to you. Our delivery trucks were still going out and we were still receiving deliveries. We would open the middle of the barricade for that truck traffic. It amazed me how many times vehicles would try to sneak in behind a big truck. I've always carried at work, concealed, but as the weather got warmer it began to open carry. People would say, what's with the gun. I'd say it's always been there concealed as we're open to the public. At this time, the public isn't permitted on the property so I don't have to conceal it. My family's company on my family's land. The real reason I did it, was people weren't always taking us seriously. I literally had to step in front of a vehicle more than once. People seemed to take me seriously after started open carrying.

Last edited:
Personally, I am on a non-res LTC issued by the state police. I've debated just straight up emailing the FRB asking "Hey, if I open carry and some local LEA calls you to complain about it, will you revoke my permit?" Legally, I am confident I am in the right but still, I'd rather not have to deal with the bs administrative nonsense of appealing, waiting, etc.
Email them and let us know what they tell you. MA is not like other states that don't harass open carriers. I see it all the time in my AO, people here dont call the popo when they see a glock or a 1911 on someone's hip. In Boston/Dorchester the police will be called.

I only open carry when I am coming back from training and need to make a stop. I prefer concealed, I don't have eyes in the back of my head and I like the element of surprise on a bad guy or guys if the situation arises. I could string together hours of video of people open carrying and having some shitbag try an take the blaster from them.

I'm guessing you're a younger guy, eventually, hopefully in the future you will see the value of not becoming a mark for bad guys.

I just looked at my Non Res LTC, issuing city/town is Mass State Police.

In 40+ years, the only time I've ever seen open carry in Mass was 1975-1981, going to Wentworth Institute and Boston State college. A gas station on the corner of Huntington and Ruggles had the service attendants (before you pump your own) open carry, And a sub shop next to Punters Pub on Huntington, near Northeastern Univ, the two guys behind the counter both had Browning Hi-Powers on their hips.

Back
Top Bottom