• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is Dept. of CJIS off limits for concealed carry?

Probably a dumb question, but I can't find anything about carry restrictions in regular government buildings in MA.

I just sent in my renewal application for my MA unrestricted non-resident LTC, and I'm expecting to have to make an appearance at the Dept. of CJIS in Chelsea. Was supposed to happen last time, but they deferred it, I assume for post-COVID reasons. Anyway, is it forbidden to carry there?

Assuming it is, and I know I should know this but I don't, can a gun be left locked in the glovebox if it's unloaded? My wife will be in the car (she doesn't have a MA permit), and I would leave the ammunition in her possession.

Probably a dumb question, but I can't find anything about carry restrictions in regular government buildings in MA.

I just sent in my renewal application for my MA unrestricted non-resident LTC, and I'm expecting to have to make an appearance at the Dept. of CJIS in Chelsea. Was supposed to happen last time, but they deferred it, I assume for post-COVID reasons. Anyway, is it forbidden to carry there?

Assuming it is, and I know I should know this but I don't, can a gun be left locked in the glovebox if it's unloaded? My wife will be in the car (she doesn't have a MA permit), and I would leave the ammunition in her possession.
Iirc they do remote renewals for 5 years or something in person is not required for every renewal... unless they went back.

Iirc they do remote renewals for 5 years or something in person is not required for every renewal... unless they went back.
It's actually every 6 years, and I'm going on year 7. I expected to have to go the last time, but they told me I didn't have to because of staffing issues, or some such. I'd love to have that happen again, but not expecting it.

Based on the opinion of Commonwealth v. Reyes, I would not assume that a glove box (whether locked or not) is in accordance with MA storage law. I recommend instead that you bring a locking container and lock it in that instead.
So a Snapsafe lockbox cable-locked to a non-removeable part of the car in the rear storage area would be Ok?

It's actually every 6 years, and I'm going on year 7. I expected to have to go the last time, but they told me I didn't have to because of staffing issues, or some such. I'd love to have that happen again, but not expecting it.

So a Snapsafe lockbox cable-locked to a non-removeable part of the car in the rear storage area would be Ok?
Is the cable required? Or just the box?

Any locking box would be fine. It doesn’t have to be attached to the car. A common plastic pistol box with a couple locks on it satisfies the law.

I would say that it is more important that no one sees you unloading the gun and putting it in the box than it is to have the box attached to the car.

There is no MGL prohibiting it, but I believe the building has metal detectors at the entrance. It’s been a few years since I’ve been there.

Any locking box would be fine. It doesn’t have to be attached to the car. A common plastic pistol box with a couple locks on it satisfies the law.

I would say that it is more important that no one sees you unloading the gun and putting it in the box than it is to have the box attached to the car.
Both of my vehicles have always had Snapsafes cable-locked to the vehicle (out of sight) because neither has a trunk. It's just more convenient to use the glovebox if it's not breaking the law. I did find an old thread discussing car storage, and several folks said the unloaded gun and the mag can be in the same lockbox. Is that true?

Both of my vehicles have always had Snapsafes cable-locked to the vehicle (out of sight) because neither has a trunk. It's just more convenient to use the glovebox if it's not breaking the law. I did find an old thread discussing car storage, and several folks said the unloaded gun and the mag can be in the same lockbox. Is that true?
Yes, that is my understanding.

You can store it loaded but transport has to be unloaded. Car parked = storage. Car moving = transport.

“Massprudence” says to unload it despite the more often you unnecessarily load and unload a gun, the more likely you are to have a negligent discharge. But, that’s what the law says.

You can store it loaded but transport has to be unloaded. Car parked = storage. Car moving = transport.

“Massprudence” says to unload it despite the more often you unnecessarily load and unload a gun, the more likely you are to have a negligent discharge. But, that’s what the law says.
While that is my reading of the law, I would not assume that a police officer would understand or care, hence why I think storing it unloaded is more prudent.

Last edited:
If there's a cop in sight while you fetch your gun from the lockbox and put it in your holster, you're doing it wrong.

Recon.
It is quite possible that someone you don't see will see you, particularly in an urban environment. Someone sees a gun, calls the cops, budabing, budaboom, and you're having a really bad day.

Last edited:
Based on the opinion of Commonwealth v. Reyes, I would not assume that a glove box (whether locked or not) is in accordance with MA storage law. I recommend instead that you bring a locking container and lock it in that instead.
I read an analysis of this case at masscases.com, and it appears that the problem was that a locked vehicle alone is insufficient, but a locked glovebox in a locked vehicle would be legal, and Reyes said the glovebox was locked but the police said it wasn't. Frankly, it read to me like someone was out to get him.

I also found this page at a MA law firm that specifically states that the "Locked glove box of your car (needs to have a key lock)" is legal.

It is quite possible that someone you don't see will see you, particularly in an urban environment. Someone sees a gun, calls the cops, budabing, budaboom, and you're having a really bad day.

I sorta mistyped.

I more or less meant that NOBODY should be seeing you handle your firearm. That's Massprudence.

I read an analysis of this case at masscases.com, and it appears that the problem was that a locked vehicle alone is insufficient, but a locked glovebox in a locked vehicle would be legal, and Reyes said the glovebox was locked but the police said it wasn't. Frankly, it read to me like someone was out to get him.

I also found this page at a MA law firm that specifically states that the "Locked glove box of your car (needs to have a key lock)" is legal.

When I looked at that case, the SJC's opinion was clear as mud. It wasn't clear to me that a locked glove box would be in accordance with the law (or not).

That said, I think a locked container with combination locks makes it harder for police to claim that it was unlocked. If the cop takes your keys, then they have the key to your glovebox, and now you can get into the whole "yes it was locked", "no it wasn't locked" argument, which, as shown in Reyes, you will lose.

Last edited:
That’s clever. Now go ahead and carry concealed in NY state and tell us what it is like if you get caught — we promise that we will accept your collect call from prison. And don’t whine about prison or losing your job or losing your home, because after all you are a tough guy and not a “lil bitch”.

Last edited:
well this thread died.... guess people cannot handle a little joke or didn't have their morning coffee yet, yikes

Back
Top Bottom