• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Treatment for alcohol

Good morning all,

My MA LTC expired about 6 or so years ago while I was in the service and I'm looking to renew it (same town). Problem is, I've received treatment for alcoholism in the intervening years. 3 different facilities over 5 years, to be honest, twice in the service and the last one here in MA in 2022 (through the VA). How do the disclosures work on these applications? I was given information that I'm ineligible up to 5 years after last treatment for alcohol or substance abuse, but not that a history of alcoholism might prevent licensure altogether.

I've seen on here that it is best to not disclose more than necessary. I'm not trying to game the system, yet I also don't want to set myself up for failure. It does feel unjust if I am declared unfit for an LTC for seeking and receiving treatment for alcoholism. Is the best policy simply to remain honest and disclose my past treatments?

On a side note, I had a misdemeanor minor in possession of alcohol (18 years ago) that was either sealed or expunged after I went through a program requiring class and community service. I still have to disclose this correct? It doesn't look great in conjunction with later treatment, but I don't recall how it was handled on my original application 10+ years ago.

Thanks all for the input. I understand the reasons for these questions on the application, and a quick glance might have some of you wondering whether I really ought to have an LTC. Things have been great for a while now and I'm filling my life with the things I enjoy, one of which is shooting. If I need to wait until 2027 to be eligible, I can do that of course (dependent on the damn laws MA sends down the pipeline in the meantime).

Good morning all,

My MA LTC expired about 6 or so years ago while I was in the service and I'm looking to renew it (same town). Problem is, I've received treatment for alcoholism in the intervening years. 3 different facilities over 5 years, to be honest, twice in the service and the last one here in MA in 2022 (through the VA). How do the disclosures work on these applications? I was given information that I'm ineligible up to 5 years after last treatment for alcohol or substance abuse, but not that a history of alcoholism might prevent licensure altogether.

I've seen on here that it is best to not disclose more than necessary. I'm not trying to game the system, yet I also don't want to set myself up for failure. It does feel unjust if I am declared unfit for an LTC for seeking and receiving treatment for alcoholism. Is the best policy simply to remain honest and disclose my past treatments?

On a side note, I had a misdemeanor minor in possession of alcohol (18 years ago) that was either sealed or expunged after I went through a program requiring class and community service. I still have to disclose this correct? It doesn't look great in conjunction with later treatment, but I don't recall how it was handled on my original application 10+ years ago.

Thanks all for the input. I understand the reasons for these questions on the application, and a quick glance might have some of you wondering whether I really ought to have an LTC. Things have been great for a while now and I'm filling my life with the things I enjoy, one of which is shooting. If I need to wait until 2027 to be eligible, I can do that of course (dependent on the damn laws MA sends down the pipeline in the meantime).
Welcome - I can see you joined today. Hopeully you stick around, and if you plan to, I'd encourage becoming a green member.

Glad to see you are making efforts to rebound and get back to the things you enjoy. No judgements here, everyone goes through their own rough patches.

However -and I cannot stress this enough- please contact a lawyer and get professional advice on your situation. Many do consultations for free or for a nominal fee. It will save you an extraordinary amount of time and headache in the long run. Its much easier to do things the "right" way the first time with help, vs trying to un-f*** a situation you unintentionally made worse later on.

Anecdotally, popular choices in eastern MA seem to be Neil Tassel and Jason Guida, however there are a number of other very well qualified, firearms-specic, lawyers recommended here on NES. You can check out GOAL's website as well.

Good luck!

were you committed to a facility against your will?

If yes you need a 2A Lawyer, if no, then you should be GTG, but an hour of @nstassel 's time is worth every penny just to make sure you are on solid ground

As to the minor in possession yes disclose it because it is going to show up anyway and if you don't they WILL deny you

As long as it was voluntary, no past arrests for doing stupid things while drunk, no DWI's, no being placed in protective custody, IMHO under Bruen they are going to have to be able to put it on paper as to why they are denying you and you can appeal it.

First off, thanks for being responsible.

Here's the application - PDF warning

Question 12 - "Have you ever been committed to any hospital or institution for mental illness, or alcohol or substance abuse?"

If you went voluntarily, you weren't "committed". If a Judge, court, Doctor or command authority ordered you to treatment, you'd best be advised to talk to a competent attorney who handles Mass LTC stuff.

From your statements, you made the decision. Not a DQ.

Thank you all for your responses today and the supportive nature of the community on here. It's always nice to see others trudging the road and leading productive lives. Sounds like counsel will be the path forward at this time - I'm glad I asked and that there were so many helpful replies. I probably would have just drove on in my own way and mucked up the situation worse than it had to be.

Supposing that an LTC isn't in my near future, I was still hoping to go shooting now and then by renting at a range in the area, but it seems that everywhere I look requires that I have an LTC and/or go with a person with their own firearm or that I pay for a "personal session" situation.

Thank you all for your responses today and the supportive nature of the community on here. It's always nice to see others trudging the road and leading productive lives. Sounds like counsel will be the path forward at this time - I'm glad I asked and that there were so many helpful replies. I probably would have just drove on in my own way and mucked up the situation worse than it had to be.

Supposing that an LTC isn't in my near future, I was still hoping to go shooting now and then by renting at a range in the area, but it seems that everywhere I look requires that I have an LTC and/or go with a person with their own firearm or that I pay for a "personal session" situation.
you can go to Manchester firing line or some place like that in New Hampshire and it wouldn't be an issue the only problem is is that MFL will not rent to a person that walks in by themselves you have to have another person with you

but I would call @nstassel . if there is anybody that is going to be able to help you do this he is the person. I know somebody else mentioned another name I'm not a fan of that person so my go-to guy if I was in a jam would be the Atty Tassel. his office is in Wakefield but he moves around a lot between different court houses. shoot him a private message and ask if he would be willing to talk to you

Last edited:
Welcome bro!
I hope you get squared away quick and easy.
I put the drink down almost 2.5 years ago. Best decision I ever made. I didn't go through any kind of treatment and was never in legal trouble but it became a problem and it was time to face the music.
Good luck with everything and again welcome to NES! Best online group of boys and girls you'll ever be a part of.

OP can go try to rent a firearm anytime they want. I'm out on inviting a potentially prohibited person on a range trip.

Plenty of guys on here will volunteer to take you shooting. Thank you for your service. Where are you located? General area...

I appreciate it. I'm down near the northeast corner of RI, not far from 495 or 95, and I don't mind traveling.
You may want to explain your username first before NES members offer to take you to the range. [rofl]

Welcome to NES. Lots of good answers above. Contact @nstassel is good advice and what I'd recommend. Best of luck. Matt

Good morning all,

As others have said call an attorney. Guida is who my brother successfully used. He had a dwi in nh on 2017 and that was his last drinking day. He spent 6 monts between rehab and a sober living community all voluntarily and hes been siber since. He waited 5 years from the date of conviction on the dwi in nh.....contacted Guida and he was able to obtain an ltc in methuen.

As others have said if your alcohol treatment was voluntary no need to disclose. If you were court ordered or committed that's gotta be disclosed. Your attorney will advise you on all steps in the process and aid you in filling out the ap

Good luck. Fight the fight.....my brother is doing awesome on his sobriety. Best thing he ever did.

Back
Top Bottom