• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Carry

The MA Open Carry rabbit hole goes deep but for some reason, despite all the interest, details remain light. Specifically, websites like Handgunlaw.us and USCCA have disclaimers on the "MA Open Carry" part like, "However, it is uncommon and there have been reports that some jurisdictions will use this as grounds to revoke licenses or to charge you with another type of offense (i.e. menacing)." Yet I have been unable to find a single case of someone with an MA LTC reporting to have their license revoked or suspended, nonetheless criminally charged for open carrying.

Most posts even discussing this topic were from before Bruen where Massachusets technically was a may-issue state and would revoke permits if you rubbed the issuing authority the wrong way (including being called about one of their citizens "caught" open carrying - allegedly). However, now that we are post-Bruen do you really think open-carrying would lead to revocation?

Personally, I am on a non-res LTC issued by the state police. I've debated just straight up emailing the FRB asking "Hey, if I open carry and some local LEA calls you to complain about it, will you revoke my permit?" Legally, I am confident I am in the right but still, I'd rather not have to deal with the bs administrative nonsense of appealing, waiting, etc.

To clarify, I would be open carrying in the Boston/Dorchester area.

IF ANYONE RESPONDS WITH "JUST CONCEAL CARRY" OR "THIS IS A DUMB IDEA" YOUR BALLSACK WILL BE REMOVED. I AM ONLY INTERESTED IN HEARING YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE LEGAL & ADMINISTRATIVE CONSEQUENCES OF THIS, IF ANY.

Thank You :)

IANAL but

DO NOT OPEN CARRY IN MA

it is not illegal (as it is in Florida) but it will draw the Police to you like flies on fecal matter.

MA is a state where malls get closed down because someone carried an umbrella, and the T Police had to respond to a person dressed as a Star Wars character complete with fake light sabre.

JUST DON'T DO IT

They may not be able to charge you for open carrying, but disturbing the peace is certainly a valid charge and reason for your MA NR LTC to be revoked.

They you will have to answer for the rest of time in the affirmative that your right to carry was revoked in MA

As someone who has been detained, with the Popo's guns drawn and a 4-5 cruiser response, over a pistol seen while putting on a suit coat I can recommend no to open carry.

It isn't tactically to your advantage. In MA you can no longer be held responsible for others fearing your holstered weapon, (case).

[thinking] Also, why is your Non-Res Permit through the Staties?
1683599549760.png

When I used to have to drive on 114(five years ago), in the Andover area was a busy gas station. The owner open carried everyday.
Do what you want to do OP. Nothing on your LTC says concealed but it is always a good idea to pick your battles wisely

When I used to have to drive on 114(five years ago), in the Andover area was a busy gas station. The owner open carried everyday.
Do what you want to do OP. Nothing on your LTC says concealed but it is always a good idea to pick your battles wisely
There is a difference between open carrying in your own store versus open carrying when out and about (not legally, but in the eyes of some police officers).

Last edited:
Legally if youre just minding your business while oc-ing Im not sure there's any issue with it. My concern would be liberal retards maliciously swatting with bs omg-man-with-a-gun calls, ghetto goblins trying a snatch and dash or attempting to provoke a response.

Depending on what you look like, most may assume youre a cop as well and more likely to leave you be?

Overall, legal but not advisable imo.

In Boston??? You will make the evening news. Have an attorney on speed dial. He will probably want $10K retainer before first appearance.
Evening news for open carrying? I think you’re being a bit hyperbolic. I find it hard to believe even the most diehard liberals would panic at the sight of a holstered firearm by someone not wearing a police uniform.

There is a difference between open carrying in your own store versus open carrying when out and about (not legally, but in the eyes of some police officers).
You say “someone police officers” but what does that mean? They all receive the same training after all.

A Mass NonRes LTC has not been issued by the Mass State Police for quite a while now.

I can't recall exactly when that changed, but it's been at least 10 years gone by that it's been overseen and issued by the Mass FRB

Also, why is your Non-Res Permit through the Staties?
A Mass NonRes LTC has not been issued by the Mass State Police for quite a while now.

I can't recall exactly when that changed, but it's been at least 10 years gone by that it's been overseen and issued by the Mass FRB
Ma Non Res LTC say on them the issuing authority is “MASS STATE POLICE.” That’s what I was referring to.

I did go through the FRB to get the license.

You say “someone police officers” but what does that mean? They all receive the same training after all.
Some police officers means exactly what it says: some police officers.

Some police officers aren’t going to hassle you for open carry. Others will.

IF ANYONE RESPONDS WITH "JUST CONCEAL CARRY" OR "THIS IS A DUMB IDEA" YOUR BALLSACK WILL BE REMOVED. I AM ONLY INTERESTED IN HEARING YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE LEGAL & ADMINISTRATIVE CONSEQUENCES OF THIS, IF ANY.

You're posting on a forum jam-packed with people who go out of their way, sometimes to their own detriment, to avoid bringing The Man into their lives. What kind of response do you reasonably expect? Avoidance of "legal & administrative consequences" is a PRIMARY concern for a lot of us, every day, for more issues than simply guns. That's just the way we choose to live our lives.

It's nothing to do with ballsacks and everything to do with wanting to be left alone. You want to go be the test case, knock yourself out. Report back and tell us how it goes.

images

Half the people around won’t even notice. Maybe more actually.

It’s not illegal but unfortunately, police, prosecutors, and even judges often don’t care about the law. All it takes is for you to run into one of the many tyrants out there to find yourself in the system battling for your freedom against corrupt state agents. This isn’t just with open carrying.

The world has really gone full retard. It’s a clown world and unfortunately, perfectly normal and common things cause the millions of weak minded woke Karens and Darens of the country to go nuts, and the feelings enforcers will abide by their insanity over defending your rights.

I used to open carry relatively commonly (in NH). Now, other than when hiking, I have little desire to do so. It’s depressing what this world has turned into.

You won’t get a good answer because there isn’t one. Any potential legal or administrative consequences will be arbitrary and it’s impossible for anyone to know. Such is the state of our overtly corrupt and woke government.

Evening news for open carrying? I think you’re being a bit hyperbolic. I find it hard to believe even the most diehard liberals would panic at the sight of a holstered firearm by someone not wearing a police uniform.
You'd be incorrect. There are examples of people having LE in MA called over noticed firearms.

That said, I've also seen people open carry in downtown Boston. The trick is that they were working security and looked the part.
Again, you'd be incorrect. Different towns have their own academies. They also have different policies. You can expect different responses in Medford than Milford or Medfield.

There is a retired chief who teaches just MA firearms law to those cops who want to understand it.

Again, you'd be incorrect. Different towns have their own academies. They also have different policies. You can expect different responses in Medford than Milford or Medfield.
Yup. And even if they went to the same academy, one officer might have just graduated and another might have graduated 30 years ago — those two officers will have been trained differently.

OP, if you want to open carry, then open carry. I don’t understand why you would want to in most places, but whatever, you do you. I suggest that you first get a retention holster and second line up a good firearms attorney. Both precautions may not be necessary, but better to be prepared.

Edited to add: if you are going to open carry, I suggest that you dress well. Don’t look like a hobo. If you are clean cut and well dressed some folks may assume that you are a detective.

Last edited:

Not sure if serious.

You could ask two cops from the same Department and get two totally different answers.

And since there is zero reason to ever open carry, unless hiking or something, why risk running into the cop that was wrong?

Even though it's not technically illegal (I've done it a few time, even had a pistolnprint badly at a gas station in brockton) I'd recommend against it.

For the main reason that if you are in the unfortunate area with a crime going on i.e. armed robbery, you're the Ford target taken out by the perp. Whereas if you conceal (even poorly) you'll have time to either react accordingly or get out

I saw a guy open carrying a nickel 1911 in MA years ago. That’s the only one I ever saw. No idea if he ran into trouble or what he was all about. It just really stuck out at the time.

Back
Top Bottom