• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poorly written Globe article (I know) hints you no longer need an LTC to carry in Massachusetts

Comm2A responded to me with

“We are aware of the ruling. The ruling just shifts the burden of proof onto the Commonwealth to prove that someone does not have a permit if they are prosecuted for carrying/possession without a license. Previously, it was an affirmative defense situation, meaning if you were accused of not having a license, it was up to you to prove the Commonwealth wrong at trial. The SJC has shifted the burden of proof back to where it should have been all along. “

So there it is then. Good, but not earth shaking.
Concur - the holding only deals with burden shifting.
However the dicta acknowledged that bearing arms outside the home is a protected right.
A right delayed is a right denied.
Taxing a right is a serious issue.

Shuttlesworth v. City of Birmingham
Not sure I would test it but it's a start.

MURDOCK V PENNSYLVANIA

I didn't read the thread but I'm up for renewal this year. Looks like I'm saving myself a hundo.
You still need an LTC/FID for firearm and ammo possession/carrying. This ruling just means that the Commonwealth has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you didn't have a license whereas before it was incumbent on the defendant to provide an LTC/FID as a defense to the charge.

You still need an LTC/FID for firearm and ammo possession/carrying. This ruling just means that the Commonwealth has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you didn't have a license whereas before it was incumbent on the defendant to provide an LTC/FID as a defense to the charge.
Yeah I was making a joke but thanks for clarification if I wasn't. I do appreciate that

Back
Top Bottom