• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Two arrested at Massachusetts Gun Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the reason people never shower before going to a gun show, you got to mask the smell somehow ...

on a more serious note, there no reason to bring Man into your life. This is a club matter that could have been resolved without getting lawr involved.

1. Just because one of them reeked of pot, it doesn't mean he used it. Did he? Was he under?

2. Tired and distracted drivers are same if not worse than drunks driving. Fact. If those were indeed high, do as you do with any idiot (and holy shit there are many of them) at the range. Get club officer involved, you ARE the club, it's your choice to be part of it and how to deal with idiot members.

3. The lawrs are not lawrs, we have jury nullification for a reason. Use your discretion. I guarantee you if those two were another set of off-duty "trained professionals" you'd not hear about it.

It could be as simple as reported. The type of cops who use a civilian range for shooting (outside of events where their dept rented the entire range) are generally not the type looking to jam up harmless gun owers. Also, the smell of the heathen devil weed travels easily and is very recognizable.

This is the reason people never shower before going to a gun show, you got to mask the smell somehow ...

on a more serious note, there no reason to bring Man into your life. This is a club matter that could have been resolved without getting lawr involved.

1. Just because one of them reeked of pot, it doesn't mean he used it. Did he? Was he under?

2. Tired and distracted drivers are same if not worse than drunks driving. Fact. If those were indeed high, do as you do with any idiot (and holy shit there are many of them) at the range. Get club officer involved, you ARE the club, it's your choice to be part of it and how to deal with idiot members.

3. The lawrs are not lawrs, we have jury nullification for a reason. Use your discretion. I guarantee you if those two were another set of off-duty "trained professionals" you'd not hear about it.

There are many who would not be comfortable confronting a couple of numbnuts who might be high when shooting. I would, but I'm the club officer responsible for the range and I can't imagine leaving such a danger to others. They would be directed to leave and not return, pending notice from the board. If the club decided to give them another chance, so be it. Excepting rare circumstances, I'd be reluctant to involve the Man in my life.

However, I disagree that there are 'no' reasons to bring the Man in your life...

Idiots like this probably have a less than 50% chance of listening to reasonable authority, thus if they were to push back that's when it becomes a problem for the professionals. I've been shot at by a**h***s drinking and had no problem involving 'the man'. In a canoe with nowhere to go and they barely missed my niece. F 'em.

Seems like there's some debate on the forum whether or not these two 2nd Amendment supporters are indeed guilty. Well, the NES standard always reverts to appearance so I did some research to find some mugshots or something-

source.gif

OK, under the influence perhaps debatable. But PP / heroin dealer? No defending that. These two idiots were asking for it and I'm more likely to believe the under the influence charge. Honestly, if anything this is another example of MA gun laws punish the innocent and do NOTHING to keep guns out of the hands of cretins like these two.

But let's not miss an opportunity to bash cops and ridicule members who don't welcome stoned shooters at their range.
This.

Taking the story as reported; good collar, bad hombres

As for all the "what if" scenarios and speculation that the smell of the wildwood flower may have been used as a pretense to initiate police investigation...well, that is what the courts are for

Meh, sounds like a couple of brain surgeons
there. The shit they got bagged for shouldn't be illegal (possibly if they were using firearms unsafe manner that could be criminal) but at the same time they were so f***ing stupid I have a pretty difficult time feeling sorry for them. I bet if they didn't smell like a trash bags of skunk weed the police would have left them alone... Riding dirty, stoned, and actually using the guns, and getting the notice of some fudd... how many strikes we up to? I count a least 5 if you include "unauthorized use of private gun club".

-Mike

There are many who would not be comfortable confronting a couple of numbnuts who might be high when shooting. I would, but I'm the club officer responsible for the range and I can't imagine leaving such a danger to others. They would be directed to leave and not return, pending notice from the board. If the club decided to give them another chance, so be it. Excepting rare circumstances, I'd be reluctant to involve the Man in my life.

I think that by confronting we are talking about just talking. Some clubs are small, some big and no way to know everyone. If people want to be a**h***s, there is no need to shoot them. It's a private club, members can figure this out or leave the club at their volition.

I do despise when people shit their pants, talk nice to you, then make a report behind your back. It sucks that at a range, and among your fellow Ma**h*** shooters you have to be on guard talking to people about a fundamental right.

However, I disagree that there are 'no' reasons to bring the Man in your life...

Idiots like this probably have a less than 50% chance of listening to reasonable authority, thus if they were to push back that's when it becomes a problem for the professionals. I've been shot at by a**h***s drinking and had no problem involving 'the man'. In a canoe with nowhere to go and they barely missed my niece. F 'em.

That sounds like attempted murder or criminal negligence. I doubt that getting law involved in that case did any good or anything at all. Based on other poster's info, if one of these monkey's got caught with heroin, the law didn't correct his ways. There are ways to correct it but they are not legal.

I think that by confronting we are talking about just talking. Some clubs are small, some big and no way to know everyone. If people want to be a**h***s, there is no need to shoot them. It's a private club, members can figure this out or leave the club at their volition.

I do despise when people shit their pants, talk nice to you, then make a report behind your back. It sucks that at a range, and among your fellow Ma**h*** shooters you have to be on guard talking to people about a fundamental right.

That sounds like attempted murder or criminal negligence. I doubt that getting law involved in that case did any good or anything at all. Based on other poster's info, if one of these monkey's got caught with heroin, the law didn't correct his ways. There are ways to correct it but they are not legal.

That's a good point, sucks but it happens. We have a pretty good, laid back club. As long as you aren't wrecking stuff, making a mess, or doing something clearly unsafe, we all MYOB. Generally if there's a problem, someone will say something to your face, not behind your back.

Regarding my personal run-in, not attempted murder but was criminal negligence. This was a somewhat rural area in the South, with an excellent Sheriff department and pragmatic, level headed judges. Getting the law involved worked out fine and justice was served to my satisfaction. Yes, there are other ways of handling such things, but one doesn't post that on a forum.

I’m looking to join a range where smoking weed is allowed.

Please contact me at #shootgunsstoned or #shootgunsdrunk or #shootgunswasted. Backup site is #shootgunzonacid.com.

Man, if you were on private land and got boozed up or whatever with the vast likelihood that the only ones you could hurt were yourselves due to your choices... have at it Cheech. At a licensed range though? Public or private? They ran the risk and got the reward. “Could” there have been malfeasance, exaggeration or even fabrication? “Could” have been....anything is possible BUT it all appears to be self inflicted injury.

Officer Jodoin arrested Nathan Smith of Cherry Valley, MA & he is Charged with:
-Possession large capacity
-Possession loaded firearm without LTC
-Possession ammo without LTC
-Illegal transport into commonwealth
-Possession of firearm while under influence of drugs
-Possession large capacity feeding device (x4 charges)
----
And Thomas Gallagher of Worcester was also charged with:
-Carrying firearm under influence of class D
-Possession loaded firearm without LTC
-Possession large capacity firearm
-Possession ammo without LTC
-Possession large capacity
feeding device (x6 charges).

MGL said:
Section 10H: Carrying loaded firearm while under influence of liquor,
marijuana, narcotic drugs, depressants or stimulant substances;
punishment

Section 10H. Whoever, having in effect a license to carry firearms
issued under section 131 or 131F of chapter 140
, carries on his
person, or has under his control in a vehicle, a loaded firearm, as
defined in section 121 of said chapter 140, while under the influence
of intoxicating liquor or marijuana, narcotic drugs, depressants or
stimulant substances, all as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C, or
the vapors of glue shall be punished by a fine of not more than $5,000
or by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than two
and one-half years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

OK, riddle me this: given that they were charged with the green things, how could they *also* be charged with the red ones?

Wow, NES has fallen in the 7 years I've been away in Montana.

Rather than admitting that there is no freedom left in Massachusetts let's victim blame and call them stupid...for the record I think weed is disgusting, but who did they harm?

The state.
If you were at the range with your family and two guys obviously blazed up on weed were shooting next to you what would you personally do?

Were they really stoned (Blood Level) or was it used as a fishing expedition with the standard size mags?

If they were stoned I have no sympathy, but too many times has a police officer told a story that just wasn't true.
I know one of the officers. He's a fair guy. They were at the club with their families. These guys were visibly impaired......smelling strongly of weed.....and shooting. That's why they made contact with them and called local police. Local po Po arrived and took over......investigation found they were not members of the club .....had no ltc.....and we're in possession of the post ban mags over 10

Last edited:
I don’t know shit about these clowns, but I’d bet that most people who smoke on a regular basis can handle their shit after they smoke. If you’re out and about at all you probably cross paths with them dozens of times a day and have no idea. Smoking weed doesn’t make you automatically unsafe. The law is wrong on this point.

If they were acting unsafe - something more than just smelling like it and wearing baggy pants - that’s obviously different, otherwise I won’t celebrate the fact that two guys basically screwed up their lives by doing the 2A thing without a license.

Last edited:
Man, if you were on private land and got boozed up or whatever with the vast likelihood that the only ones you could hurt were yourselves due to your choices... have at it Cheech. At a licensed range though? Public or private? They ran the risk and got the reward. “Could” there have been malfeasance, exaggeration or even fabrication? “Could” have been....anything is possible BUT it all appears to be self inflicted injury.

This

They were illegally on private property.

I suspect (and have no intention of checking) that the club has rules prohibiting drinking or doing drugs while at the range. No different from the rule against shooting up in my living room. I'm within MY rights to enforce that rule in my house. eta: Chances are they also require shooters to be members or be accompanied by members.

Go somewhere where that is welcome and get as stoned or drunk as you like.

Last edited:
Interesting update. One guy was released and the other is held without bail.

From the Worcester Telegram:
Mr. Smith was held overnight on $25,000 bail and in court on Monday he was held without bail until a dangerousness hearing Thursday. At that time a judge will determine whether any conditions can be set to ensure public safety if Mr. Smith is released.

Mr. Gallagher, who allegedly built the unregistered gun, is to be in court at a later date to face firearms charges. He was released Sunday night.

The issue I have with this is that neither person belonged to that club. Clubs are usually posted and I know when I went to a few meetings at my clubs they talk about non-members causing damage and not being safe. It is bad for the club. If it were to happen at my clubs they are both buried in what are now residential areas. it would be very bad if a round left the range.

I do not agree with infringing 2A rights and I am not a fan of having to get an FID or license. But clubs require this information on the membership application because they want to know you have a half a clue about what you are doing.

Now these guys could be former marines and know more about more firearms than I will ever know. But we have no way of knowing that and the club and its membership are put in a very bad situation because of their trespassing and use of the facility.

It is unfortunate that we have to think like this these days but you all have been watching the news or at least monitoring the threads about the mass shootings. 2A is under attack and circumstances such as these here do not help. In fact these two will be used as examples for the anti crowd.

I do not want to post what I think might possibly come of this....it would be very bad for all legal gun owners.

So again, I do not condone infringements. But I will not support anyone's actions that will jeopardize my rights....what little are left of them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom