Two arrested at Massachusetts Gun Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know shit about these clowns, but I’d bet that most people who smoke on a regular basis can handle their shit after they smoke. If you’re out and about at all you probably cross paths with them dozens of times a day and have no idea. Smoking weed doesn’t make you automatically unsafe. The law is wrong on this point.
put that way...i know several guys who drink alcohol in exorbitant quantities all day and they handle their shit. you could take the above quoted statement and apply it to them. so drinking alcohol doesn't make you automatically unsafe, the law is wrong.

I don’t know shit about these clowns, but I’d bet that most people who smoke on a regular basis can handle their shit after they smoke. If you’re out and about at all you probably cross paths with them dozens of times a day and have no idea. Smoking weed doesn’t make you automatically unsafe. The law is wrong on this point.

If they were acting unsafe - something more than just smelling like it and wearing baggy pants - that’s obviously different, otherwise I won’t celebrate the fact that two guys basically screwed up their lives by doing the 2A thing without a license.

You're right. I drink a sixpack every day with a couple shots of Jack and I can handle it. No gdmn reason I can't go into a gun club I'm not a member of and shoot. And anybody who says that I'm impaired and shouldn't be allowed to do so is infringing on my god given rights.

(This is sarcasm in case I'm not clear enough).

Private club - stay the f*** out. And certainly don't show up under the influence of ANY intoxicant and handle firearms. You want to go out in the middle of 50 acres of private property, get drunk/stoned and shoot with your buddies? Go right ahead, Darwin says that you're only endangering yourselves and I'm okay with that. You're an adult, make your own decisions. But when your bad decisions intersect my life - I have a voice too. And handling firearms around me and mine when you're impaired is a bad decision. It's the same bad decision as driving a vehicle when you're impaired.

2A is under attack and circumstances such as these here do not help. In fact these two will be used as examples for the anti crowd.

I would just tell anyone who had a problem with this, “They had guns. They could have killed the off-duty cops who questioned them and then the cops that showed up after that. There was never anything stopping them from killing anyone they wanted with their guns and yet they didn’t and no one was hurt.”

I would just tell anyone who had a problem with this, “They had guns. They could have killed the off-duty cops who questioned them and then the cops that showed up after that. There was never anything stopping them from killing anyone they wanted with their guns and yet they didn’t and no one was hurt.”

yes, all very true.

I can’t defend the idea that they were visibly impaired. I also can’t defend the fact that they were on private property, trespassing. I also can’t defend the fact that one of them was up on heroin charges.

What does fry my ass is that they get jacked up for no licenses. I was a mass resident and had to jump through hoops like all y’all behind enemy lines.

But most states now don’t require licenses. I. Most of the country, those weapons charges wouldn’t apply.

These clowns are in trouble regardless of the gun charges.

In regards to drinking and gun play: buddy of mine recently recounted a story of when he was in some shithole country at a bar. There was a group of the local military at a table. They would shoot their guns through the tin roof to summon the waitress for more alcohol. He says nobody but the roof got hurt.

Last edited:
48 years I have lived in Western Massachusetts................

I have NEVER heard of Cherry Valley before.

That's all I have to contribute here.

Last edited:
Smoking weed and going to the gun range is totally the “hey - hold my beer and watch this” scenario.

Plenty of ranges have/had a bar attached to them. I find that frightening. It's just stupid. There was one in central MA. Brimfield area or something?

I know one of the off duty cops. One of them had an access card that was "borrowed" from his father. Neither are members. And no....neither had ltc

Well that explains that. WTF???

Years ago, when I was a member of Ames, I came up on a car parked at the gate. The gate was open, but it was parked below the gate. NBD.

Went up to the outdoor range. Two guys are blasting away like there is no tomorrow. Not unsafe, but seemingly a bit clueless. Not young either. 40-50yo range.

Oh, and the COLD RANGE lights were running like a 3 alarm fire.

"Uhhh, you want the range cold?""

"Whut?"

"Are you shooting or changing targets?"

"Shooting."

I snap off the warning lights.

About 2 min later they suddenly pack up and bolt. About 15 min later it occurs to me that they just walked in (that was a decent walk up a pretty steep hill) to shoot without membership. I'm guessing they didn't do it again because they were so uncomfortable. And that $100/yr was SOOOO much money.

As far as freedom - freedom should be free. As far as weedassery - stupidisasstupiddoes,ma'am.

That’s what the report says so what? I wasn’t there but let’s be real.....”visibly impaired”

I had people at my range from 10 lanes down walking up to me and asking “what are you shooting, is that MA approved”
I know what a blazed up individual looks and acts like. I've sent many a pot head home from work over the years.

Plenty of ranges have/had a bar attached to them. I find that frightening. It's just stupid. There was one in central MA. Brimfield area or something?

Well that explains that. WTF???

Years ago, when I was a member of Ames, I came up on a car parked at the gate. The gate was open, but it was parked below the gate. NBD.

Went up to the outdoor range. Two guys are blasting away like there is no tomorrow. Not unsafe, but seemingly a bit clueless. Not young either. 40-50yo range.

Oh, and the COLD RANGE lights were running like a 3 alarm fire.

"Uhhh, you want the range cold?""

"Whut?"

"Are you shooting or changing targets?"

"Shooting."

I snap off the warning lights.

About 2 min later they suddenly pack up and bolt. About 15 min later it occurs to me that they just walked in (that was a decent walk up a pretty steep hill) to shoot without membership. I'm guessing they didn't do it again because they were so uncomfortable. And that $100/yr was SOOOO much money.

As far as freedom - freedom should be free. As far as weedassery - stupidisasstupiddoes,ma'am.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a bar on a gun club property. NOTHING!!! It's called personal responsibility.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a bar on a gun club property. NOTHING!!! It's called personal responsibility.

My home club, 17S in Fleming, GA has a full service bar and kitchen in the club house. Thursday night is skeet and club dinner night. I'll generally shoot for an hour or two before dinner. If my wife is driving, I'll have a drink or two with dinner.

The club also has a strict rule - no shooting after drinking. If you do so, you lose your membership. I know of one member whose membership was revoked for just that.

My two clubs up here have simpler, stricter policies - no alcohol on premises.

My home club, 17S in Fleming, GA has a full service bar and kitchen in the club house. Thursday night is skeet and club dinner night. I'll generally shoot for an hour or two before dinner. If my wife is driving, I'll have a drink or two with dinner.

The club also has a strict rule - no shooting after drinking. If you do so, you lose your membership. I know of one member whose membership was revoked for just that.

My two clubs up here have simpler, stricter policies - no alcohol on premises.
Harvard is the only club I’ve shot at with a no booze at any time policy.

Worcester Pistol & Rifle is no booze

I'm curious to know exactly what effects of booze makes one unsafe. I know booze affects reaction time and balance. I suppose if you're drunk enough, you may fall down when shooting, but have any real studies been done, or is it just "common sense"?

Same questions for weed. I've heard of (but never read) studies that claim driving under the influence of the devil's lettuce is not nearly as unsafe as driving under the influence of alcohol. Have any studied been done surrounding the ability to shoot a firearm safely while under the influence of marijuana, or is this another example of common sense legislation?

I know many clubs with this policy.

Bars are problematic in many ways. They bring in a lot of cash flow but also a lot of expenses. And that cash flow can be a temptation for some folks. There have been clubs that found that much of the income from the bar was winding up in someone’s pocket.

I was briefly a member of one club where there were two main factions — shooters and drinkers. It was rumored that one of the club’s leadership was a prohibited person.

Bars also increase risk to the club. If a club member gets lit up at the bar, drives away and gets in a bad accident, the club will likely get sued. In addition, the club’s name will likely get in the news and the fact the club has a bar will not get favorable treatment in the press.

For a volunteer-run club, a bar adds a lot of possible problems. I think having a bar at a gun club is a bad idea all around. Do your drinking at home instead.

I know the off duty officer that was there. Says they were definitely under the influence which was the initial concern and the call to local pd.
that will get tossed. No way to prove they were high at the time. A first year law student would argue that he was wearing a sweatshirt that hadn't been washed after having been exposed to pot smoke the day prior when his pot head roommate was smoking.

I'm curious to know exactly what effects of booze makes one unsafe. I know booze affects reaction time and balance.

It is more than just reaction time and balance. It also impairs judgment. People who are drinking don’t realize just how impaired they are. They think they are fine, but they aren’t. Inhibitions are also reduced. People who are drunk will do things that they wouldn’t do when they are sober. And some people get aggressive when drinking.

It is more than just reaction time and balance. It also impairs judgment. People who are drinking don’t realize just how impaired they are. They think they are fine, but they aren’t. Inhibitions are also reduced. People who are drunk will do things that they wouldn’t do when they are sober. And some people get aggressive when drinking.

Yeah. Imagine having 2-4 cocktails in fairly short order, then assembling, loading and firing your normal carry pistol. The chances for an AD are exponentially higher.

Do I want a BAN on bar/ranges? No. Is it a really dumb idea that requires a s-ton more policing, a Jupiter-sized increase in your liabilities and the propensity for key members to skim the club??? Yup.

Do I want a BAN on bar/ranges? No. Is it a really dumb idea that requires a s-ton more policing, a Jupiter-sized increase in your liabilities and the propensity for key members to skim the club??? Yup.

Exactly. Having been in club leadership positions, the last thing I’d want to deal with is a bar and all of the workload that goes with it.

What do you mean, “...sent...home?”

Do you mean you sent them walking or sent them driving an automobile?
Home. How they got there is not my concern. But paying them to work for me while high is not going to happen. Most of em took the public trans anyway. Business was in South Boston.

I'm a freedom loving American. Wanna smoke weed on your time.....cool. wanna smoke weed while on my job site..no

That appears to be a P80. Surprised the cops didn't make a big deal out of that.

In any case, no LTC and smelling like weed while at a gun range is retarded. While I'm curious if the hi-caps were pre or post ban, that wouldn't excuse the LTC and weed issues at all.

It is unfortunate that we have to think like this these days but you all have been watching the news or at least monitoring the threads about the mass shootings. 2A is under attack and circumstances such as these here do not help. In fact these two will be used as examples for the anti crowd.

No, it won't. Nobody outside of this forum or that gun club in Warren (or the town) will have given a shit or even know that this happened.

There's no dead/hurt people, no victims, etc. Memetic value is almost nothing.

How are the antis going to use it? "couple of guys were shooting guns while stoned, and nobody got hurt. news at 11".

There's literally "nothing to see here". The worst thing that will happen is life will become a little more uncomfortable at that gun club when
everyone starts going "papers please" to every unknown person that shows up at the club, etc.

-Mike

That appears to be a P80. Surprised the cops didn't make a big deal out of that.

In any case, no LTC and smelling like weed while at a gun range is retarded. While I'm curious if the hi-caps were pre or post ban, that wouldn't excuse the LTC and weed issues at all.
I think most LEO’s can’t identify pre or post ban and don’t care. They’ll charge them and leave it to others to determine.

I was told NRA won't issue insurance to any club that allows alcohol on the grounds. Many years ago when I was a member of Woburn SC members would go back to clubhouse to clean weapons and have a few beers that they brought in.

I'm curious to know exactly what effects of booze makes one unsafe. I know booze affects reaction time and balance. I suppose if you're drunk enough, you may fall down when shooting, but have any real studies been done, or is it just "common sense"?

Same questions for weed. I've heard of (but never read) studies that claim driving under the influence of the devil's lettuce is not nearly as unsafe as driving under the influence of alcohol. Have any studied been done surrounding the ability to shoot a firearm safely while under the influence of marijuana, or is this another example of common sense legislation?

Have you never found the progression from green to yellow to red absofreakinglutely HILARIOUS?

Then you probably haven't driven stoned :eek:

/kidding

The above is what I imagine would driving stoned would be like, not from person experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom