Two arrested at Massachusetts Gun Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home. How they got there is not my concern. But paying them to work for me while high is not going to happen. Most of em took the public trans anyway. Business was in South Boston.

I'm a freedom loving American. Wanna smoke weed on your time.....cool. wanna smoke weed while on my job site..no
What if they didn’t want to go home?

You have said twice now that you sent them home.

I’m not following you why they had to go home after you kicked them off the job.

I can see kicking them off the premises but after that I think you’re overstepping your authority to make them go all the way home.

Reactions: KVX
that will get tossed. No way to prove they were high at the time. A first year law student would argue that he was wearing a sweatshirt that hadn't been washed after having been exposed to pot smoke the day prior when his pot head roommate was smoking.

No he just got off work after a long day of greenhouse consulting...

What if they didn’t want to go home?

You have said twice now that you sent them home.

I’m not following you why they had to go home after you kicked them off the job.

I can see kicking them off the premises but after that I think you’re overstepping your authority to make them go all the way home.
I think you know what the f*** I meant.

Of course I don't care if the went home or not. Guess I'm just a home body and generally if I'm not at work....I'm home.

Interesting update. One guy was released and the other is held without bail.

From the Worcester Telegram:

Either of them have counsel? PR guy without a prior record? CPCS 3.03 intern jump up and decide to make a bail argument for experience? I'm assuming these guys are going to have different counsel because there's a very high chance one could snitch and definitely plea out before the other.

Worcester Pistol & Rifle is no booze

I'm curious to know exactly what effects of booze makes one unsafe. I know booze affects reaction time and balance. I suppose if you're drunk enough, you may fall down when shooting, but have any real studies been done, or is it just "common sense"?

Same questions for weed. I've heard of (but never read) studies that claim driving under the influence of the devil's lettuce is not nearly as unsafe as driving under the influence of alcohol. Have any studied been done surrounding the ability to shoot a firearm safely while under the influence of marijuana, or is this another example of common sense legislation?

I think the physical effects are second to the mental ones, particularly with cannabis.

Not that I would have any personal experience using the devil's lettuce (cough), but it slows reaction time and inhibitions/judgment like alcohol. People do irrational things that they normally would not. How many arrests happen because people are drunk or high and do something stupid? Every OUI and probably disorderly conduct (except for maybe the "common nightwalker" disorderlies).

@M1911 also mentioned the insurance and other liabilities of having a club bar. Every club I've shot at has a "shoot first, drink second, no guns or ammo around while drinking" rule if the club has a clubhouse with a bar. Even clubs in more 2A-friendly places have similar rules. The "guntry" clubs down South and out West have bars and indoor ranges and have the same policies.

It is more than just reaction time and balance. It also impairs judgment. People who are drinking don’t realize just how impaired they are. They think they are fine, but they aren’t. Inhibitions are also reduced. People who are drunk will do things that they wouldn’t do when they are sober. And some people get aggressive when drinking.

This.

Oh come on. You know what a supervisor means when he or she tells someone to go home. You’re just trolling for an argument. Stop that.
Please.

Use your brain.

You’ve got an alleged worker on the job who may have driven to work and instead of taking his car keys you tell him to go home.

Trolling?

Even bartenders are smart enough to take someone’s keys and call someone a taxi or an Uber.

It is absolutely stupid and irresponsible to tell someone under the influence of drugs to simply go home.

You don’t act like the brightest bulb here but I would have hoped you were bright enough to see that.

Either of them have counsel? PR guy without a prior record? CPCS 3.03 intern jump up and decide to make a bail argument for experience? I'm assuming these guys are going to have different counsel because there's a very high chance one could snitch and definitely plea out before the other.
Says Gallagher was released Sunday night, so he must have posted bail. It doesn't say how much. Smith's bail was set at $25,000 by the bail clerk. Smith did not post and was brought to court, where the DA asked for a 58A hearing (dangerousness).

What I find odd is that Gallagher hasn't even been arraigned.

There was a case that I happened to be researching that involved an under cover cop with a gun. He was charged under his fake name. It was a sting operation against the court, and the lawyer got jammed up for helping the guy try to fabricate a story. FOLEY, IN THE MATTER OF STEVEN M., 439 Mass. 324

I wonder if Gallagher was undercover.

Says Gallagher was released Sunday night, so he must have posted bail. It doesn't say how much. Smith's bail was set at $25,000 by the bail clerk. Smith did not post and was brought to court, where the DA asked for a 58A hearing (dangerousness).

There was a case that I happened to be researching that involved an under cover cop with a gun. He was charged under his fake name. It was a sting operation against the court, and the lawyer got jammed up for helping the guy try to fabricate a story. FOLEY, IN THE MATTER OF STEVEN M., 439 Mass. 324

Undercover seems plausible considering Smith was/is a heroin dealer and runs a cannabis-related "business" Facebook page. Yeah, the slow arraignment is odd. In RI, for something like this, he would've been arraigned Monday morning or saw a bail commissioner on Sunday night/pre-dawn Monday morning.

MSP provides plainclothes, etc. support for small town police in Mass, right? I know that happens in RI when police want to "get" someone or make a big bust.

Please.

Use your brain.

You’ve got an alleged worker on the job who may have driven to work and instead of taking his car keys you tell him to go home.

Trolling?

Even bartenders are smart enough to take someone’s keys and call someone a taxi or an Uber.

It is absolutely stupid and irresponsible to tell someone under the influence of drugs to simply go home.

You don’t act like the brightest bulb here but I would have hoped you were bright enough to see that.
So what do YOU do with a guy that comes back from lunch stoned?

As the employer I didn't provide the employee with the weed. I'm not responsible for his actions. A simple "your fired get out" is my responsibility. Not my problem to waste extra time effort and money trying to hold a shithead up and make him wait for a cab when he's stupid enough to get blazed up at work.

Up to him to call a cab.

Last edited:
They do that because a bartender will be held liable if the drunk driver hurts or kills someone. The employer will not.
The bartender served em the drinks......the employer did not provide the weed....or booze....or whatever

So are you saying that the undercover guy asks the "off-duty" officers to be around the range on Sunday morning. The undercover then meets up with his target and the two partake of some recreational greenery, after which the undercover suggests going to the range. The other gentleman thinks it is a wonderful idea and the two pack up and head off. They get up there and just happen to run into some fellow shooting enthusiasts who they strike up a conversation with. This friendly banter then leads to jail and a dangerous hearing for the target.

This seems pretty elaborate for a low level drug dealer. I know Warren is the West Virginia of Mass (no disrespect Sparkey ;)), but this seems like a lot of work for someone they probably could have got in a "routine" traffic stop.

They do that because a bartender will be held liable if the drunk driver hurts or kills someone. The employer will not.
You wouldn’t go after an employer who said he knew a guy was stoned and sent him home and he killed schoolchildren getting off a bus?

For the children?

Are you saying it is impossible for and employer to be held liable and further impossible to find a lawyer who would sue the employer?

You wouldn’t go after an employer who said he knew a guy was stoned and sent him home and he killed schoolchildren getting off a bus?

For the children?

Are you saying it is impossible for and employer to be held liable and further impossible to find a lawyer who would sue the employer?
No I would not hold the employer responsible and sue. I also think that the shotgun lawsuits that people do against bars are rediculous. Who drank too much and drove? The bartender or the a**h*** that drove after drinking?

Answer this.....how is an employer supposed to "hold" someone he just fired for being high at work at the place until a cab comes? By physical force? That opens up another lawsuit right? Which is it?

The bartender served em the drinks......the employer did not provide the weed....or booze....or whatever
What if a guy comes in from another bar?

As a bartender you really off the hook if you send him home?

Swatgig can chime in if he sees a case.

What if a guy comes in from another bar?

As a bartender you really off the hook if you send him home?

Swatgig can chime in if he sees a case.
Tell me how an employer is to hold someone that they just terminated there to wait for a cab? Physical force?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom