• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transferring your gun from Concealed to trunk.

Hey Guys/Gals,

I have gone back a bit and try search for this answer but I couldn't find it. So I will ask. I understand what concealment means and I understand about locking your weapon in the trunk of a car or lock in a truck or suv.
So my question deals with a simple observational question. If a licensed owner is carrying and for some reason has to go to a local that his/her fire arm isn't allowed (Let us say the stop wasn't planned) can the license owner remove the weapon from concealment to the trunk without getting in trouble? Is the owner in violation of any written or unwritten law? What is the proper method of both removing and picking up the weapon in public from the trunk? Or is the license owner have to go home and transfer the weapon there?

Thanks for your replies.

What do you think is going to happen if you are in, say downtown Beverly, and someone sees you remove your gun from your holster, prior to putting it in the trunk?

If someone spots the gun anywhere in "public" you are going to be in for a world of trouble.

My suggestion is to use those under the seat gun safe that Four Seasons sells or any locked box if you access the trunk from the back seat of your car (lock on top deck, fold down seat section, slide the box in trunk . . . reverse on return). As long as you park away from any parking lot cameras, don't look suspicious, this is your best bet.

Bring a backpack

I almost always have my backpack on my passenger seat. While still seated in the car, remove the gun from your holster (or remove the entire holster; whichever floats your boat), stick it in the backpack without anyone seeing, and proceed to walk around the car and put the backpack in the trunk. Putting valuables (backpacks often contain laptops, for instance) in the trunk is not an unusual practice in cities, so it shouldn't draw any attention.

Cheers,
Kyle

If you have to do something like that, just pick up the rain poncho or other cheap jacket you keep in the car and use that to shield what you are doing.

If it's stuck in your Thunderwear, complain loudly to your spouse about how bad the thong underwear is getting. Guaranteed to turn away the attention of nosy people (unless you are one of those 'blessed' people that actually look good in a thong, and if that's the case, what do I care?) (^_^)

Other guaranteed loss of attention for baby boomer men...

If you carry SOTB, complain about the wedgie.

If you carry in a belly band, pretend to have dry heaves.

If you carry in a front pocket, look 'distracted'.

If you carry strong side, complain about the colostomy bag leaking

If you carry cross-draw, complain that the hernia is pushing through.

If you carry in a shoulder rig, complain that you might need ot move up to a B cup.

If you carry in an ankle holster, complain that your corns are killing you.

If you have to unload from all the above, beware the call to 911 for an ambulance. Better yet, drive a hearse and put yourself in the box to unload.

M1911 said:
What do you think is going to happen if you are in, say downtown Beverly, and someone sees you remove your gun from your holster, prior to putting it in the trunk?

I am gathering the the answer is no then, [smile] that is all you need to say my friend.

LenS said:
If someone spots the gun anywhere in "public" you are going to be in for a world of trouble.

My suggestion is to use those under the seat gun safe that Four Seasons sells or any locked box if you access the trunk from the back seat of your car (lock on top deck, fold down seat section, slide the box in trunk . . . reverse on return). As long as you park away from any parking lot cameras, don't look suspicious, this is your best bet.

Thank you for the reply Len, as always you a great source of info. [grin]

squarooticus said:
I almost always have my backpack on my passenger seat. While still seated in the car, remove the gun from your holster (or remove the entire holster; whichever floats your boat), stick it in the backpack without anyone seeing, and proceed to walk around the car and put the backpack in the trunk. Putting valuables (backpacks often contain laptops, for instance) in the trunk is not an unusual practice in cities, so it shouldn't draw any attention.

Cheers,
Kyle

Thanks Kyle, That is the kind answer I was looking for.

Chris said:
If you have to do something like that, just pick up the rain poncho or other cheap jacket you keep in the car and use that to shield what you are doing.

If it's stuck in your Thunderwear, complain loudly to your spouse about how bad the thong underwear is getting. Guaranteed to turn away the attention of nosy people (unless you are one of those 'blessed' people that actually look good in a thong, and if that's the case, what do I care?) (^_^)

Other guaranteed loss of attention for baby boomer men...

If you carry SOTB, complain about the wedgie.

If you carry in a belly band, pretend to have dry heaves.

If you carry in a front pocket, look 'distracted'.

If you carry strong side, complain about the colostomy bag leaking

If you carry cross-draw, complain that the hernia is pushing through.

If you carry in a shoulder rig, complain that you might need ot move up to a B cup.

If you carry in an ankle holster, complain that your corns are killing you.

If you have to unload from all the above, beware the call to 911 for an ambulance. Better yet, drive a hearse and put yourself in the box to unload.

Chris, you and I need to grab a beer. You very creative guy. Thank you for your answer [rofl]

Only problem with the backpack idea is . . . if it looks valuable you might get the wrong kind of attention . . . by thieves.

That's what's so nice about the fold-down seats in many cars today, fold down one side, slip your backpack in the trunk and nobody is the wiser.

BTW, the small gun safe that Four Seasons sells comes with a cable that feeds thru the side of the case and around some immobile object (track rail on drivers seat is a good idea), so it is secure.

LenS said:
Only problem with the backpack idea is . . . if it looks valuable you might get the wrong kind of attention . . . by thieves.

That's what's so nice about the fold-down seats in many cars today, fold down one side, slip your backpack in the trunk and nobody is the wiser.

BTW, the small gun safe that Four Seasons sells comes with a cable that feeds thru the side of the case and around some immobile object (track rail on drivers seat is a good idea), so it is secure.

You see, that is kinda answer a newbie needs not ridicule. Since I don't have a gun yet, although it sounds dumb to me is a necessary question. So what we are all saying is transferring your gun off your person has to be done in secret without drawing attention. Best scenario is within your car away from general public, or covered in such that no one sees it.

So to my concise, it isn't illegal to move a gun from your person to a lockbox if you can do it in a manner than the general public doesn't see you.

Fee

FeeBear said:
So what we are all saying is transferring your gun off your person has to be done in secret without drawing attention. Best scenario is within your car away from general public, or covered in such that no one sees it.
Or to put it more concisely, "Don't ask; don't tell."

2004010840_Display-25.gif

That's what I was trying to imply. I hope my reply was not taken as "ridicule." It was not intended that way. Instead, it was intended to highlight that we need to think about what how our actions would be perceived by others and what the consequences might be.

For example, a fellow that I know was carrying OWB while wearing a short, leather bomber-style jacket. He went shopping at the Galleria Mall in Cambridge, not realizing that the jacket did not completely cover the bottom of the holster. Someone at the mall saw the holster, recognized what it was, and called the Cambridge PD.

Our hero, hopelessly in condition white, did not see the 4 of Cambridge's finest until he was surrounded at very close range. They were unhappy. They made sure he understood their unhappiness.

M1911 said:
Our hero, hopelessly in condition white, did not see the 4 of Cambridge's finest until he was surrounded at very close range. They were unhappy. They made sure he understood their unhappiness.
Too bad, but he should have known better. [sad]

One notion we should work against but never forget is that in places like Cambridge anyone other than an LEO who has a gun is a Bad Person(TM) and needs to be locked up. It probably never even crossed the mind of the person who called the PD that this person might be an upstanding citizen whose purpose in carrying was to act as a deterrent to actual crime and to defend the lives of innocents should the nightmare scenario arise.

Yikes. What are we in for again? [hmmm]

Kyle

M1911 said:
That's what I was trying to imply. I hope my reply was not taken as "ridicule." It was not intended that way. Instead, it was intended to highlight that we need to think about what how our actions would be perceived by others and what the consequences might be.

For example, a fellow that I know was carrying OWB while wearing a short, leather bomber-style jacket. He went shopping at the Galleria Mall in Cambridge, not realizing that the jacket did not completely cover the bottom of the holster. Someone at the mall saw the holster, recognized what it was, and called the Cambridge PD.

If it wasn't meant as a ridicule, then I apologize. It is when a person asks a question and the response is a question then it might be seen construed as ridicule.

For 90% of the people on this forum they have already live my question, since I am just waiting for my LTC in the Mail I thought I get some of these question out of the way. Remember logic and common sense aren't always the same, I was going to ask about public restroom but I think save it for later.

M1911, did they offer him the use of some free stainless-steel bracelets? I sure hope not!
Apparently not. And he didn't even get a talking to from the chief in his hometown. I'd say he lucked out, all things considered.

Cross-X said:
M1911, did they offer him the use of some free stainless-steel bracelets?

I sure hope not!

Hey Cross,

Where is exactly is your office in Framingham (rather are you in one of the mall complex in Framingham or in a office building?) I work on Newbury Street in Framingham.

Fee

Remember logic and common sense aren't always the same, I was going to ask about public restroom but I think save it for later.
You opened that door, so why not walk on through?

In a public restroom, for guys using the urinal you can usually manage that without flashing anyone. There are those who suggest always using a stall for tactical reasons.

When using the stall and sitting down, it can be hard to keep your holster off the floor -- you don't want someone seeing the gun under the dividers. I suggest that you practice at home with an unloaded gun and see what works for you.

I don't suggest removing the gun and placing it on the toilet tank. Too many folks have done that and left it behind...

M1911 said:
You opened that door, so why not walk on through?

In a public restroom, for guys using the urinal you can usually manage that without flashing anyone. There are those who suggest always using a stall for tactical reasons.

When using the stall and sitting down, it can be hard to keep your holster off the floor -- you don't want someone seeing the gun under the dividers. I suggest that you practice at home with an unloaded gun and see what works for you.

I don't suggest removing the gun and placing it on the toilet tank. Too many folks have done that and left it behind...

Thank you, that was very constuctive for a newbie like me.

Fee

squarooticus said:
... One notion we should work against but never forget is that in places like Cambridge anyone other than an LEO who has a gun is a Bad Person(TM) and needs to be locked up. ...

Actually in a lot of places like Cambridge they'd the police locked up as well (except of course when they need them). After all, police simply run around persecuting minorities, harassing immigrants and arresting average citizens engaged in harmless activities that the archaic, white male, fundamentalist religious power structure decided it didn't like.

Ken

Forgive me if my assumptions are incorrect ...if you can swing it, I suggest that you consider taking a class like LFI-1 or Sigarms Concealed Carry.

Many issues around concealed carry (drawing, reholstering, use of deadly force) are non-obvious and very important.

M1911 said:
Forgive me if my assumptions are incorrect ...if you can swing it, I suggest that you consider taking a class like LFI-1 or Sigarms Concealed Carry.

Many issues around concealed carry (drawing, reholstering, use of deadly force) are non-obvious and very important.

Thanks, that is a very good suggestion. As soon as my License comes in I will sign up. I guess I wanted to get a head start in what would be proper gun etiquette.

Fee

"The Art of Concealed Carry" is also taught by Jon Green and the inimitable Cross-X at GOAL as well. Check the www.goal.org website for info on when it will next be held.

Even if you are still waiting to get your LTC, you should consider signing up and taking the class. It should answer a lot of your questions, as well as many that you haven't thought of yet.

Back
Top Bottom