• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your Knife Laws Suck

So I'm going to be visiting Boston next month. I have my non-resident/temporary LTC so I'm fully legal to fly in and carry my handgun. However, I can't bring my 2.75-inch EDC pocket knife with me because Boston's ordinance restricts knife length to 2.5 inches. Thanks Wu!

Nobody cares about those knife ordinances anyways, I don't even think they're connected to misdemeanors or felonies.

There are one or two towns (Saugus? I forget offhand) where the LTC acts as a bypass for the given towns shitty knife ordinance.

The real shitty knife law in MA is you can't carry an auto. And that one actually is a potential felony vs the stupid ordinances which are almost a joke.

Nobody cares about those knife ordinances anyways, I don't even think they're connected to misdemeanors or felonies.

There are one or two towns (Saugus? I forget offhand) where the LTC acts as a bypass for the given towns shitty knife ordinance.

The real shitty knife law in MA is you can't carry an auto. And that one actually is a potential felony vs the stupid ordinances which are almost a joke.
The penalty for violating the knife ordinance reads: "Violators of any provision of this section shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred ($300.00) dollars for each offense." So it looks like it is just a flat $300 fine if caught.

So I'm going to be visiting Boston next month. I have my non-resident/temporary LTC so I'm fully legal to fly in and carry my handgun. However, I can't bring my 2.75-inch EDC pocket knife with me because Boston's ordinance restricts knife length to 2.5 inches. Thanks Wu!

The ordinance has been on the books in its current form since 2008 and yes, like almost every knife law every where it sucks. The laws at the state level, as interpreted by the courts, are even worse. See, for example, this case which held that "a dagger is any blade of relatively short length primarily designed or modified for stabbing. This definition excludes common household items such as a steak knife which are designed primarily for utilitarian purposes."

Knife laws? Only one I ever paid attention to was no automatics, and that's only because they're just difficult to buy here

Just keep this in your bag.

Bruen says you can bear arms

Knives are arms, and hold up to historical scrutiny as civilians in the late 1700's carried daggers for close quarters combat

If you have enough reason to pull a knife for self defense you have enough reason to pull your gun

Knife laws? Only one I ever paid attention to was no automatics, and that's only because they're just difficult to buy here
It's not difficult at all, just go online and buy one and it'll get delivered to your front steps courtesy USPS. Just don't buy off Amazon, they are next level Karen about shipping knives to MA.

I believe it's Worcester, that has the LTC cover knives.

Please spank if I'm wrong [laugh] but 'flipper' knives are OK because that bump on the blade is touched to open. Not as convenient as an OTF, but IMHO just as easy to open 'automatically' as a Stiletto type or Mikov. Given that muddy distinction, the potential for a felony via carrying an auto really blows.

When is the last time anyone ever got rung up on a knife violation that actually stuck? Sounds like the "extra" thing they throw on if you get picked up for something else along with resisting arrest and it goes away faster than a fart in a dust storm in the plea deal.

Please spank if I'm wrong [laugh] but 'flipper' knives are OK because that bump on the blade is touched to open. Not as convenient as an OTF, but IMHO just as easy to open 'automatically' as a Stiletto type or Mikov. Given that muddy distinction, the potential for a felony via carrying an auto really blows.
Given how easy front flippers, top flippers, button locks, crossbar locks, etc. are to open, I’ve don’t care to own any autos.

But I think the ban on autos was enacted as a result of the West Side Story movie, and none of these new locking knives existed.

Last edited:
The penalty for violating the knife ordinance reads: "Violators of any provision of this section shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred ($300.00) dollars for each offense." So it looks like it is just a flat $300 fine if caught.
in reality, the cop will usually pocket your knife and kick you to the curb if he likes the blade. but in all honesty, you sound like a whiny little bitch so he's gonna make you miserable for a few hours. go visit tijuana instead of coming here, you can carry a machete there if you want.

Back
Top Bottom