• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transferring your gun from Concealed to trunk.

squarooticus said:
I almost always have my backpack on my passenger seat. While still seated in the car, remove the gun from your holster (or remove the entire holster; whichever floats your boat), stick it in the backpack without anyone seeing, and proceed to walk around the car and put the backpack in the trunk. Putting valuables (backpacks often contain laptops, for instance) in the trunk is not an unusual practice in cities, so it shouldn't draw any attention.

Cheers,
Kyle

The problem with this is in MA, in order to be 100% legally compliant, you have to unload the gun before storing it- and this creates another problem
in and of itself. This means you have to unload it without being
noticed. (and reload and reholster it when you come back).

So basically most of the time we end up with three choices-

-leave the gun at home when we go to "prohibited" places. (this sucks, but
it is the easiest option)

-everytime we park near one of these places, find a secluded spot, etc. In
busy cities during the day this is near impossible.

-Buy a big enough vehicle so that you can literally walk in the back
of it, do your business, and stow the gun. (this would work in a van,
perhaps, or an RV). But obviously that's impractical for most of us.

-screw it and just carry there anyways (a very BAD idea, at least legally
speaking, and sometimes it's not even possible due to metal detectors,
searches and the like)

Given the sheeple reaction to guns in this state, getting "cover blown"
while stowing or retrieving your gun is almost as bad as breaking the
laws outright. Of course it depends on the authority who issued you
your license, etc. If you're on good terms with the local PD you might
be immune, but I certainly wouldn't count on it. Even a "good" IA might
decide you are too much of a liability for him, so to speak. The other
possibility is that the "tattle tale" agency who responds to the man with
the gun call could end up spinning a pretty good yarn about you "blatantly
showing off a gun" or some crap. (It is important to note that in MA, your
license can get revoked via the "unsuitable person" sledgehammer, even
if you are completely within the law. ) Basically it's another way for
them to take your license away, more or less, so be careful out there.

-Mike

drgrant said:
The problem with this is in MA, in order to be 100% legally compliant, you have to unload the gun before storing it- and this creates another problem
in and of itself. This means you have to unload it without being
noticed. (and reload and reholster it when you come back).

So basically most of the time we end up with three choices-

-leave the gun at home when we go to "prohibited" places. (this sucks, but
it is the easiest option)

-everytime we park near one of these places, find a secluded spot, etc. In
busy cities during the day this is near impossible.

-Buy a big enough vehicle so that you can literally walk in the back
of it, do your business, and stow the gun. (this would work in a van,
perhaps, or an RV). But obviously that's impractical for most of us.

-screw it and just carry there anyways (a very BAD idea, at least legally
speaking, and sometimes it's not even possible due to metal detectors,
searches and the like)

Given the sheeple reaction to guns in this state, getting "cover blown"
while stowing or retrieving your gun is almost as bad as breaking the
laws outright. Of course it depends on the authority who issued you
your license, etc. If you're on good terms with the local PD you might
be immune, but I certainly wouldn't count on it. Even a "good" IA might
decide you are too much of a liability for him, so to speak. The other
possibility is that the "tattle tale" agency who responds to the man with
the gun call could end up spinning a pretty good yarn about you "blatantly
showing off a gun" or some crap. (It is important to note that in MA, your
license can get revoked via the "unsuitable person" sledgehammer, even
if you are completely within the law. ) Basically it's another way for
them to take your license away, more or less, so be careful out there.

-Mike

Thank you Mike, I never knew joining this club would make life so complicated. I still don't even have my License and I am getting heart burns.

Fee

You guys must really attract crowds wherever you go; do you wear day-glo Elvis costumes or something? I never park in out of the way places, preferring the safety of easily visible, well-lighted locations. Regardless, I've never had the slightest problem with unloading and storing when the need arises without anyone ever being the wiser.

Ken

KMaurer said:
You guys must really attract crowds wherever you go; do you wear day-glo Elvis costumes or something? I never park in out of the way places, preferring the safety of easily visible, well-lighted locations. Regardless, I've never had the slightest problem with unloading and storing when the need arises without anyone ever being the wiser.
I think a corollary argument to this is: think about how many times you've ever stared at some stranger who just parked his car to see what he's doing. I can honestly say I can't recall ever having done this.

Unless someone is specifically looking at what you're doing (or unless you're dumb enough to flash your piece while unloading!) I doubt anyone will notice.

Kyle

I answered a similar question on combat carry today. I suggested the box
from 4 seasons. You've already got the box in the trunk, you decide on how
to move the gun into the trunk, and unless someone is standing directly over
you they won't see what your doing. Cover the box with a backpack you
have full of rags or other useless items.....
The boxes are $29.95 at 4 seasons.

Hope this helps,

JimB

KMaurer said:

Ken

No dayglo suits for me it's not my style. [laugh] I would however like to see if people unload their pistols before locking up. I love the sound of racking the slides... but I'm sure parking lots are bugged for audio too. [smile]

JimB said:
I answered a similar question on combat carry today. I suggested the box from 4 seasons. You've already got the box in the trunk, you decide on how to move the gun into the trunk, and unless someone is standing directly over you they won't see what your doing. Cover the box with a backpack you have full of rags or other useless items.....
The boxes are $29.95 at 4 seasons.

Hope this helps,

JimB

I use one of those and keep in tucked under the front passenger seat (with the braided cable attached to the seat runner) and since the rear windows of my POV are tinted, I have excellent concealment.

I can move the box (attached to the cable) easily to the center console and place my weapon inside. lock it up and tuck it back under the seat, where it can't be seen from outside.

The obvious point is don't be "obvious". The "concealed" part of CCW means just that - Concealed. A lesson I'm sure your friend won't forget.

RJ

KMaurer said:

Ken

Don't get me wrong, wasn't saying it's impossible. I've done it in "Beijing, North America, aka, Cambridge" a few times, actually. It's just a pain in the
ass and you're praying like hell the pedestrians don't spot you... and there
are swarms of them in most parts of Beijing. :)

-Mike

Chris said:
Mindless Swarms who would not see a pink elephant strutting down the street.

Seriously, most people don't pay close enough attention, and for those that do, you just act 'normal'.

Chris, with your Avatar, I had to see you "not" being normal... [smile] To all those that have replied I appreciate all your answers. You have given me idea and great recommendation (I will be taking classes ASAP). I just wanted to see your opinion and experience. Although classes are great to learn, nothing replaces experience.

Fee

FeeBear said:
Hey Cross,

Where is exactly is your office in Framingham (rather are you in one of the mall complex in Framingham or in a office building?) I work on Newbury Street in Framingham.

Fee

My office is located on scenic Route 9, at 600 Worcester Road, Suite 504. Let me know if you'd like to stop in and say hello. My cell number is (508) 395-6500.

Darius

Chris said:
The key word was 'ACT'. I do a really good impression of a Liberal. (^_^)

Heck, I was walking the streets of Cambridge on Friday Night (Had dinner at the Helmand) and not one person gave me a second look. Can you imagine that?

Yeah, Chris, but you probably cheated by wearing sandals, out-of-fashion shorts, and an old t-shirt from the last granola-style concert you attended. [wink]

LenS said:
BTW, the small gun safe that Four Seasons sells comes with a cable that feeds thru the side of the case and around some immobile object (track rail on drivers seat is a good idea), so it is secure.

I purchased one of those for that exact situation. I have secured the unit via the seat track and then unload and lock my firearm directly in my vehicle. The gun safe then simply gets shoved underneath the seat with attached cable to secure it from moving around.

Cross-X said:
Yeah, Chris, but you probably cheated by wearing sandals, out-of-fashion shorts, and an old t-shirt from the last granola-style concert you attended. [wink]

Yer good... The wife asked that I 'dress up'. So I wore Ecco Sandals, LL Bean Linen Shorts, and a Columbia short sleeve button down Oxford. Oh, and a P239 in .40 S&W, a reload, and the P32.

Chris said:
Heck, I was walking the streets of Cambridge on Friday Night (Had dinner at the Helmand) and not one person gave me a second look. Can you imagine that?
Sure... if WE couldn't figure out where you were carrying on Saturday, the Cambridge tofu-eaters didn't stand a chance!

Besides... you can do normal really well. When you're not shooting the .500, that is. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom