Top Shot back tonight

MikeS - More than one Marine is never necessary, but always appreciated :)

TW - I think you summed that up quite nicely !

Supermoto - By contract they have the option of keeping us locked down and sequestered for the duration of the show if they so choose. In practice, they sent people home as soon as they were voted off. I mean right from the range walking off to a van with the motor running, right to a hotel, and the fastest flight out~!! Except for the final 7 who were asked to stick around to see the final episode, but it was our choice. By then it was around Day 28 and it would only be an extra 3 or 4 days to finish. People were dropping off fast at the end!

Adam, I have another question. What's the timeline like? We see it as a week by week ordeal but I've always assumed that there were really no down days and that what we see as an episode or week was actually two days worth of activity.

As for Colby - he and I didn't hit it off that well. I am a huge fan of survivor, and was the only guy who even knew who he was! In my opinion, he had just come back from the last Heroes vs Villains series, and got crushed by Russel, and appeared very bitter about his third attempt without winning. He went "hollywood" being the host, having forgotten that a few weeks earlier he was sitting on the same bench as us. And why ALWAYS standing with hands on hips the same exact way? That is the Colby I saw. BUT - he does genuinely love guns, and strongly supports shooting.

The show sequence was 3 days per episode. Day one everyone practices with the new weapon in separate team practice sessions. Generally about 5 minutes per person, and 5 or 10 bullets each. That's it. Time is wasted moving cameras and people around. Day 2 was the team challenge, and nomination range. Day 3 was the two nominated shooters on their own learning new weapon for elimination/practice, and later that team goes off to watch that challenge. Other team stays home and has a day off, waiting for losing team to return and find out what happened.

Rinse and repeat...

Last edited:
As for Colby - he and I didn't hit it off that well. I am a huge fan of survivor, and was the only guy who even knew who he was! In my opinion, he had just come back from the last Heroes vs Villains series, and got crushed by Russel, and appeared very bitter about his third attempt without winning. He went "hollywood" being the host, having forgotten that a few weeks earlier he was sitting on the same bench as us. And why ALWAYS standing with hands on hips the same exact way? That is the Colby I saw. BUT - he does genuinely love guns, and strongly supports shooting.

[rofl] That's pretty much how I imagined him.

One last question, why do the competitors always carry around backpacks? They bring them to challenges, practices, eliminations, everywhere!

I bet they are there all day. Need water and a lunch at the range if you don't get a break. Same thing with snivel gear.

B

One last question, why do the competitors always carry around backpacks? They bring them to challenges, practices, eliminations, everywhere!

That's something I always wondered as well. Thinking of the time it takes to do the "practice sessions" would be a full day? So does everyone pack a lunch, bottles of water etc?

You would think the show would have food, water, etc ready to go for the shooters. I know Adam will let us know but I'm guessing it's either a light jacket, gloves, shirt, etc. It looks like the weather conditions change quickly out there.

Both seasons were filmed north of Los Angeles, in the Santa Clarita area. Different houses, though.

The back packs were typical shooter prep gear. You drive off to the practice or challenge not knowing what to expect or when you will return. Like any good shooters, we carried everything we could possibly think of. Extra eyes, ears, gloves, cleats, fleece, raingear, sun tan lotion, snacks, water, notepad, etc. Don't you guys all bring waaaay too much stuff with you to every match?? :)

Both seasons were filmed north of Los Angeles, in the Santa Clarita area. Different houses, though.

The back packs were typical shooter prep gear. You drive off to the practice or challenge not knowing what to expect or when you will return. Like any good shooters, we carried everything we could possibly think of. Extra eyes, ears, gloves, cleats, fleece, raingear, sun tan lotion, snacks, water, notepad, etc. Don't you guys all bring waaaay too much stuff with you to every match?? :)

How Ironic that it was filmed in Cali. [laugh]

I always thought it was ironic that a show called "Top Shot" based primarily on firearms is filmed in one of the most Anti-Gun friendly states. [rolleyes]

When they had events with firearms like the Glock 17, for example, I asked myself: "Are these guys limited to 10 round mags because they're in crappy California?"

Just 80 miles from me, Shreveport has turned into "Little Hollywood". Lots of major pictures are filmed there.

With Clark's Custom Guns and multiple excellent ranges in the immediate area (including a thousand yard range at Grand Cane), it would be a great location for filming.

Thought you all might like to see Jaime's comments about the whole George thing...

Cross-posted from AppleseedInfo.org:

Jaime from Top Shot said:
Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't posted up in a while. I've been traveling home from Afghanistan (I am back home now) and trying to get my body back on schedule with the Western Hemisphere.

Thanks very much for all the continued support. I was especially proud of my showing with the 1911, and the Razorcat Race Gun. Not too shabby with the compound bow, and the tomahawk, either!

All of the drama between George and I is a little bit rediculous, and a little out of proportion, I think. All of us on the Red Team got along great 95% of the time, and were always respectful and friendly with each other. Me and Gunny, and Me and Chris Reed especially got along well. The editors have to cram 72 hours into 43 mintues of air time, and they cut it to create the atmosphere that they want to portray. At one point the producers told us that we were making them sick because we were all getting along so well, and not trash talking enough.

None of the competition or contestant interaction is scrpited. The only things that were scripted were some of the promo stuff we did for History (that I haven't seen aired yet).

Although nothing was scripted, sometimes during our interviews they would try to steer you towards something that they wanted you to say. For example: there were many interviews where they tried to get me to talk trash about George, and tried to steer me towards saying that he was singling me out, and picking on me, and that I was sick of it, etc.

I never wanted to say those things because - #1: I didn't want to sound like I was whining and crying, #2: I guess I'm incredibly naive because George and I got along pretty well 90% of the time. There was no way I could have known about him talking so much crap behind closed doors... I actually went so far as to defend George a few times when they (the producers) were trying to get me to call him out.

I didn't dislike George, and tried to be his friend, and we still keep in touch a little bit through FaceBook. George does have the skills to pay the bills when it comes to long range shooting, and there is A TON that I would like to learn from him. He definitely knows what he's doing and what he's talking about. His career field is Military Police, and he is qualified as a USAF Security Forces Counter-Sniper.
*BUT* he has attended the Army Sniper School (Bravo-4), and the USMC Scout Sniper Course, in addition to several Law Enforcement SWAT Sniper / Counter-Sniper courses. He has won numerous sniper competitons in the U.S. including the all-military "Top Sniper" competition in 2009. To win that competition he (and his spotter) made an 1800 yard shot on the first attempt. There are not many people in the whole world that could hit a man-sized target at 1800 yards with 1 shot.

I really tried as hard as I could to stay above the drama, and I wanted to represent THE ENTIRE US Navy with honor and integrity. It wasn't my goal to make friends, but I certainly didn't want to make enemies either. I was having fun, trying to shoot well, trying to be a stand-up guy, and make the most out of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Many states have exceptions for a lot of their weapons/firearms laws for filming...

CA especially. I believe that there are licenses for certain types of weaponry that a recognized prop house can get but "normal" people can't.

More than anything, it was as frustrating to have the prop house guys bring guns in that they said were zero'ed, and that we all found were not. Tough to do the things we were asked to do with a gun that was not properly zero'ed and just a few practice rounds down range to figure our hold-over dope. I remember one beretta we used that was really close to zero (the one we used to shoot through tubes, and to cut the dynamite fuse). I have a feeling Ben Stoeger had a hand in making that right.

The nomination range beretta really was off about an inch high and right, or I would have done a better job dotting the "i" in Iain's name. :)

I'll be missing tonight show. I have dvr, so I can watch the episode later. I will ignore this thread till I watch the episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks good so far... we'll see what happens after the commercial...

4 tasks:

Split a bullet on an axe head.
Shoot corn-cob pipes at 25 feet with .38 Police Special double action.
Break plates in a vertical rack with a revolver in each hand at the same time. (.357 Magnum)
Break plates in two horizontal racks as above, but the distance between them is wider.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom