Top Shot back tonight

He is delivering.

Ok, so his grip is wrong. He's given a choice - use the "wrong" grip he's used to, or try a new technique he'll probably only be able to use for a dozen or so shots and less than an 30 minutes of actual gun handling time while the crew films the so-called "practice session".

He may be lacking in social skills, but his decision that "now is not the time to change technique, even if the one I am currently using is wrong" may be the optimal strategy to maximize his winning potential in the challenges.
I could respect the decision not to change at the last minute, but then don't complain about the instruction... That's my issue with him - (see "douche" above).

It depends on "high road" vs. "going for a win". Since it's as much about career visibility as the money, it's probably worth acting as a "team" and working for the stongest team. But, if you are going for an individual win, it's about balancing the benefit of being on a team without the 1:1 challenge vs. the benefit of kicking out a strong opponent you don't want to face in the finals. JJ was the favorite going into season 1. If I were a competitor trying to "win", I'd want him in every challenge to maximize the chances he would be eliminated before I had to face him in the individual section of the competition. If I were choosing for the benefit of my team, I'd want him in as long as possible.

Agreed but this does not seem to be what they are doing. If it was, Brian Zins would be in every elimination right? They're trying to eliminate Jaime (who has survived two eliminations) base don results from the first two competitions because they don't like him. That's not strategy, its recess. They were all sad to see Eric go and he was a chump. He failed hard in the competition that sent him to elimination and then he got smoked like a ham in the elimination challenge. He was a weak link but they didn't acknowledge it because they got along with him.

I thought it sucked. Once again we don't get to watch a good shooter compete because he couldn't throw a freaking tomahawk, or shoot spitballs.

I actually didn't want to watch for this exact reason. I just caught the elimination challenge.

I think you guys are missing the point - they're deliberately throwing stuff at these guys that they DON'T know to find the best shooter and the one who can learn at least the basics of an unknown weapon fast. So yeah, they're going to be putting in stuff like bows and blowguns.

I actually thought it was pretty interesting watching how fast those two caught on to making accurate shots with the blowgun - shows their versatility.

And yeah, I agree that George and Jay are the biggest DBs on the show.

Just watched it taped last night. I get that people want to think of this as a pure shooting competition but the reality is, its not. Its all around marksmenship and although shooting is the majority of it, its not the whole thing. The strongest competitors are the more versatile. Look at last year's winner Ian. He was rarely the best at any competition but he excelled at all of them.

this

Adaptability and versatility is going to be important next week doing those trick shots...

splitting a bullet on an ax and breaking 2 balloons
shooting 2 guns at the same time
shooting upside down
etc

world class shooters are not going to have that kind of experience putting them on somewhat of a level playing field with the amateurs

that being said, the episode after that they are using .22 pistols (ruger mkIIIs maybe?) and i'm guessing that will be more marksman oriented

I'm really starting to worry that George or Jay could win this whole thing.

Imagine the levels of egotism that Jay might reach if he beats all these 'professional shooters'?

I'm not sure George could get more obnoxious.

I asked Adam Benson from Season 1 to drop his knowledge in here.

The devildog said he would as soon as he gets some time. [wink]

I think you guys are missing the point - they're deliberately throwing stuff at these guys that they DON'T know to find the best shooter and the one who can learn at least the basics of an unknown weapon fast. So yeah, they're going to be putting in stuff like bows and blowguns.

I actually thought it was pretty interesting watching how fast those two caught on to making accurate shots with the blowgun - shows their versatility.

And yeah, I agree that George and Jay are the biggest DBs on the show.

Nah, I understand what they are trying to do, just wish they'd stick to firearms.

What's next they going to start hitting baseballs into nets that are 300 feet away? How does that differ from throwing tomahawks?

I can hear it now, "Baseball was an important past time of American youth from the turn of the last century until the advent of video games and fat kids that don't go outside... the bat was the weapon of choice for many NYC street gangs and as we witnessed in the movie "Warriors", quite versatile, so today we have our marksmen swinging for the fences... blech..

I have been watching this season on On Demand, and I cannot stand the host of the show or Jay. jay is more than a bit of a DB, lol. The host, I cant stand the way he uses those dramatic breaks when he speaks. None of this is a surprise, stop talking like a fool.

I have been watching this season on On Demand, and I cannot stand the host of the show or Jay. jay is more than a bit of a DB, lol. The host, I cant stand the way he uses those dramatic breaks when he speaks. None of this is a surprise, stop talking like a fool.

BA2 POSTS A GOOD COMMENT!

What's next they going to start hitting baseballs into nets that are 300 feet away? How does that differ from throwing tomahawks?

[sarcasm] that would be really cool and would really show off their talent, just like the tomahawks [/sarcasm]

i tried tomahawk throwing before because i thought it would be cool, kinda like "the patriot", but then i found out how boring it was, specially when you have to go get it every time.

i agree with you, but it is a surprise to all the people that dont shoot.

At least you can fast forward when you watch it on demand, thats why i Record it, i cant stand his stupid ass comments, or the constant bitching. I cut a one hour show into 15min of shooting.

Last edited:
Nah, I understand what they are trying to do, just wish they'd stick to firearms.

Because baseballs have never been used as weapons. Firearms, bows, tomahawks and blowguns all have been. Heck, people even hunt with slingshots, so that would count.

Ever hear of anyone going out after small game armed only with a fastball? [wink]

Because baseballs have never been used as weapons. Firearms, bows, tomahawks and blowguns all have been. Heck, people even hunt with slingshots, so that would count.

Ever hear of anyone going out after small game armed only with a fastball? [wink]

i have:

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I watch, the more disappointed I become that I didn't even get a call back.
I actually practiced with throwing knives and a tomahawk with a member of my club that is into black powder and primitive arms. I also borrowed my brother's bow because I knew it would be used at some point. To see these guys that have never even seen/held a race pistol was almost silly. How is it that even JJ and Blake didn't notice that Eric closed his left eye when practicing with the c-more on the Razorcat? (or they edited it out)
Sheesh!

You obviously never watched Nolan Ryan pitch. [laugh]

Shhhhhhhhhhh, don't give the producers any ideas.

They did that already - I picked up a couple of pointers, too (since I have a wrist rocket - non-MA compliant, of course. Hell, it's not NJ compliant, either!!).

Where the HELL did you manage to find that video?? Man... did you see those feathers fly? Wow!

However, I still don't know of any state with a baseball hunting season. Other than late '86, however, when it was worth poor Bill Buckner's life to show his face in Boston.

You obviously never watched Nolan Ryan pitch. [laugh]

Not since the Mets were stupid enough to let him get away, no. Except when he was humiliating them when he was with the Astros, that is.

BA2 POSTS A GOOD COMMENT!

I-see-what-you-did-there-Fry.jpg

That guy is out of his mind.
And FOS... Throwing isn't our only advantage.

In addition to strategy and communication, there is the issue that we appear to be designed for running long distances to exhaust game...

There's also his BS with "in balance." We've been decimating ecosystems since day-1. The only difference is scale (breeding).

I would like to see how the show to show rating compare on a night with long guns vs the Atlanta Braves episode.. whoooooaaa aaa whooaaaaa a whoooooaaaa whoooaaaaa a whoooooaaa a whoooooaa

The hill challenge from this season in which Jermaine had the mind melt was one of the best most entertaining episodes the show has had on during its two seasons, I can't imagine the spit n swing special was any where near that.

Hey guys - this is Adam from Season 1 throwing in my two cents. Having been there on the internet hate-train, I can understand the shots everyone is taking at Jay and George. But knowing what goes on behind the scenes, I also know its not really deserved. Odds are you would even get along with Brad from last year! Ha!

I've talked a bunch with Jay and he is really a sharp guy. Maybe not the best pistol grip, but knows how to use what he has to work with, and has the mental game to excel over far better technical shooters. That has been pretty impressive so far.

And I recently drove up to Jersey to watch the Tomohawk episode with Geroge and his family and friends. Really a great guy! He knows his long range shooting and backs up his big talk with equal size and ability. And did I mention the smoking hot girlfriend!?!?! Remember - the show is really about shooting and adapting to various weapons through history, and George has done pretty well by those standards so far. Its not supposed to be a popularity contest there, or with the viewers back home. If anything, he is hamming up the Jersey one-liners playing to his buddies back home for laughs. I suggest not taking him (or reality TV) so seriously.

Note - The high def footage comes from mobile camera crews, not hidden cams. Everybody knows when they are on film, and can decide to have fun with it... or they can "act" differently when the cameras are on trying to be liked by a million strangers. Personally, I find it refreshing to have people comfortable being themselves and not caring so much about what others think.

I am watching along with Season 2 like everyone else and have no idea what happens next. But if you have questions about season 1, or general behind the scenes stuff (within my contract limitations) I can perhaps help. And a big Shout Out to Rob Boudrie... a name I remember well from back in the IPSC days !!

Thanks for joining and sharing your experience and insight, Adam.

Of course now you're taking away the perverse pleasure of reality TV and the Internet where we get to make gigantic assumptions, accept them as fact, and make sweeping judgement about the character of people we know only from sound bites. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom